Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: And You
Yes, for a South free 2 33.33%
No, I like things as they are. 3 50.00%
Whatever, but curiously. 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
What's with the beef with Portugal though?

Most Latin Americans admire Spain and Haitians aren't that 'Anti-French'. So how come I'm getting the feeling Southern Brazilians really don't like the Portuguese?

Heck, Jamaicans are still subjects of the Queen.

Large numbers of Northern European immigrants arrived in the 1800's particularly from Germany believed they were superior to to people who were there before a mixed population primarily Portuguese mixed with some Amerindian and African ancestry,they didn't want to mingle initially and pretty much established a caste sytem and to this day some believe the whiter the better(especially blond hair, blue eyes pale skin). Also some Nazi's escaping the aftermath of WWII settled in the region which didn't help.

This link regarding Santa Catarina illustrates some of the history and demographics last sentence of the demographics section in the link talks about the Azorean-Brazilian DNA samples 80.6%-93.5% European however mostly European none-the-less they are admixted and that was unacceptable initially to many of the northern European immigrants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Catarina_(state)

Last edited by AFP; 04-23-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 AM

120 posts, read 137,932 times
so we can say that southern brazil is a hole?

I certainly wouldn't want to go to such backwards place

Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Large numbers of Northern European immigrants arrived in the 1800's particularly from Germany believed they were superior to to people who were there before a mixed population primarily Portuguese mixed with some Amerindian and African ancestry,they didn't want to mingle initially and pretty much established a caste sytem and to this day some believe the whiter the better(especially blond hair, blue eyes pale skin). Also some Nazi's escaping the aftermath of WWII settled in the region which didn't help.
It's a little similar to the caste system that used to exist in the United States back in the late 1800's. Northern European/Anglo Americans were at the top while Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese Americans were at the bottom in regards to people of European descent. The ethnic discrimination against Iberian Americans in United States was one of the main reasons why Spanish and Portuguese immigration to North America was always low.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
so we can say that southern brazil is a hole?

I certainly wouldn't want to go to such backwards place
I don't think it's good to judge an entire region based off of one individuals opinion.

Plus Germany is awesome. If there was an actual Deutsche speaking American country that'd be pretty cool. As long as it wasn't a bunch of Neo-Nazis, of course.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
By the way, many of the southern Brazilians that want to separate really do so because of racial reasons, at least according to some people. Who knows if its true.
I think we all now know it's true!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I don't think it's good to judge an entire region based off of one individuals opinion.

Plus Germany is awesome. If there was an actual Deutsche speaking American country that'd be pretty cool. As long as it wasn't a bunch of Neo-Nazis, of course.
I agree.

Although the Op clearly isn't helping his region look good with his comments and the whole idea of Southern Brazil separating is just stupid not doubt about it.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think we all now know it's true!
Well the OP is certainly one example that proves your point.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's a little similar to the caste system that used to exist in the United States back in the late 1800's. Northern European/Anglo Americans were at the top while Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese Americans were at the bottom in regards to people of European descent. The ethnic discrimination against Iberian Americans in United States was one of the main reasons why Spanish and Portuguese immigration to North America was always low.
Hawaii was an exception at the turn of the Century the Portuguese were actually recruited but there was a caste sytem there as well 1.Northern Europeans 2.Southern Europeans 3.Non-Eurpeans.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Southern Brazilians are not pure white, and 90% of them have indigenous ancestry, even if "only a little bit".

Many Brazilians from other regions also have "only a little bit" of indigenous (and black) ancestry, and have more than 70% of European DNA, but those Brazilians are VERY PROUD to say that they are multi-racial.

You don't see the blonde, green-eyed Brazilians from Rio, from Minas, from the Northeast, claiming that they are "pure white". Because they know that's not true, and they are proud of their multi-racial ancestry, even if they are over 70% or over 80% European.

But in Southern Brazil (Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul) you see a bunch of idiots who think that they are "special" because they are 30% or 40% German.

Southern Brazil is a land of nazis.

I really wish those nazis with Amerindian DNA go away from Brazil. I totally support the idea of Southern Brazil splitting from Brazil. Because they don't deserve to be Brazilians.

But I hope they think in another name to their country, and not "South Brazil". Don't use the name of our beloved nation in your nazi nation. Please call it "New Germany" or "South Germany".

Oh, and never forget: the state of Rio de Janeiro has a higher Human Development Index (HDI) than Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul. I always like to remember that.
Don't give up a quarter acre of that land to people like the OP.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
After doing some research, it seems like partisans of 'O Sul e o Meu Pais' are akin to "Portuguese Argentinians".

Didn't Argentina have a considerable amount of immigrants from Italy and Germany? And don't you dare tell Argentinians they aren't "European".

Not to be inflammatory but the entire inspiration of the movement just has so many parallels. Down to the fact that they 'look' pretty European, but you can tell they aren't Scandinavian, Celtic or Frankish. Obviously this is majorly caused by their Southern European ancestry but from the photos I saw, those folks are surely a bit Indigenous. They don't look that different than my acquaintances from Northern Brazil.

Last edited by MassNative2891; 04-23-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas