Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
"Latino" is a more accepted or used term among the Spanish speaking groups in the U.S. -- in fact, they commonly refer to themselves as latinos. "Hispanos" is less often heard, and sometimes considered an outdated term. I've been around Latin Americans from different countries all of my life, and have never heard anyone, from any Central or South American country, take offense for being referred to as a latino or Latin-American.

The latino stereotype in the US is a function of the typical latino immigrant in the US. Those latinos who are doing well in their home countries don't need American minimum wage jobs and don't come here except on vacation. That includes most of the whiter latinos, who usually make up the middle and upper social classes in Latin American countries.
Well, a number of those around me, including the one I married, prefer Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well, a number of those around me, including the one I married, prefer Hispanic.
I prefer human being myself.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I prefer human being myself.
Same here...don't blame you one bit.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
What state are you in? Just wondering. I understand if for personal reasons you don't want to state it, but there appears to be geographic dispositions towards certain terms, whether Latino, Hispanic or none of the above. Also, it is more of a 2nd and 3rd generation thing. It is exceptionally rare for an immigrant or a child of an immigrant to refer to themselves as "Hispanic", at least in California. Also, I've noticed...in metros with more of a pan-Latin American immigrant presences, as opposed to just one group, 'Latino' tends to be more embraced. This is also true for popular music and culture.

One important and critical difference is that the word Hispanic is much more widely used within academic research. This, though, goes back to the term's origins within the U.S. government and that fact that within academia they have to apply for grants that are many times provided by government or perhaps a non-profit working with the government. This is also why we have Hispanic Heritage month instead of a Latino Heritage month.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
What state are you in? Just wondering. I understand if for personal reasons you don't want to state it, but there appears to be geographic dispositions towards certain terms, whether Latino, Hispanic or none of the above. Also, it is more of a 2nd and 3rd generation thing. It is exceptionally rare for an immigrant or a child of an immigrant to refer to themselves as "Hispanic", at least in California. Also, I've noticed...in metros with more of a pan-Latin American immigrant presences, as opposed to just one group, 'Latino' tends to be more embraced. This is also true for popular music and culture.

One important and critical difference is that the word Hispanic is much more widely used within academic research. This, though, goes back to the term's origins within the U.S. government and that fact that within academia they have to apply for grants that are many times provided by government or perhaps a non-profit working with the government. This is also why we have Hispanic Heritage month instead of a Latino Heritage month.
True true good post.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
So in America what are black hispanics? I have a mate from Colombia and he's black of pure African descent, would he be hispanic?
I believe on the census, they get to choose between identifying as Hispanic or African-American. Generally, they tend to call themselves Hispanic though, as they usually identify with their Latin American origins.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I believe on the census, they get to choose between identifying as Hispanic or African-American. Generally, they tend to call themselves Hispanic though, as they usually identify with their Latin American origins.
You can claim both: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf

They ask two questions.

1) Are you of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin?

2) What is your race? (of which you are allowed to mark more than one)

According to this article http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...and-ethnicity/ , a lot of people who self-identify as Hispanic or Latino on the Census, also chose to pick "some other race" as their race. This makes sense as a good amount of Latin Americans don't view themselves as white or black or indian/Native, but mixed.

"In the 2010 census, many Hispanics were unsure which box to check in the race question. Hispanics accounted for more than 18.5 million of the 19 million people who checked “some other race” to describe themselves.”" - Pew Research.

Last edited by RudyOD; 04-24-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Why would the term Hispanic be offensive to anyone? You might choose to call yourself something else and I understand the term might not be widely used in South America, but still, no need to get offended. Its funny how desperate some are to disassociate themselves from others and I strongly suspect that is what this thread is about. The comment about stereotypes of Hispanics in the US gave it away. At the end of the day I could think of negative stereotypes of most South American countries, some more than others. So if this thread is about South America lets leave others out of it. There is nothing wrong with being called Hispanic.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM

120 posts, read 137,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why would the term Hispanic be offensive to anyone? You might choose to call yourself something else and I understand the term might not be widely used in South America, but still, no need to get offended. Its funny how desperate some are to disassociate themselves from others and I strongly suspect that is what this thread is about. The comment about stereotypes of Hispanics in the US gave it away. At the end of the day I could think of negative stereotypes of most South American countries, some more than others. So if this thread is about South America lets leave others out of it. There is nothing wrong with being called Hispanic.
It's not as simple as that. It's about people's identity, you cannot impose a label onto someone who does not identify with it.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

That may be because of the Mexican influence in California. I'm on the East Coast. My spouse grew up In Florida. His parents are immigrants from South America, though he also spent a few years there as well. His parents prefer Hispanic. The same goes for the Cubans and some Puerto Ricans I have known in the DC area and other places on this side (yes, I know they are Caribbean). All the people I know are 1st generation American or immigrants. Don't know any 2nd or 3rd generation.

So while I'm not saying that there arent those who prefer Latino or don't care either way (the majority), there are definitely those who prefer Hispanic, immigrant and 1st generation. And not seeing this huge aversion to Hispanic among South Americans. Perhaps you are really seeing some aversion to the lumping of all Spanish-speakers from Latin America. Naturally, people prefer their own specific ethnic group.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 04-24-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas