Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM

837 posts, read 1,259,945 times

Advertisements

Why did disproportionately many Brazilian dictators come from Rio Grande do Sul (RGS) - did it have to do with the heavier military heritage owing to being at the frontier of the Brazilian empire, or nearness to Argentina/Uruguay (wracked by destructive 19th century civil wars) and sharing much culture - including the gaucho aspect - with those countries, or for both reasons?

Plus, if RGS were to consist only of the eastern part of real-life RGS, and the western part (Misiones Orientales) was part of Uruguay or Argentina, would there have been a heavy military presence in the rump RGS? Would dictators (even if not exactly the same ones as in real life) have come from the rump RGS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,916,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Why did disproportionately many Brazilian dictators come from Rio Grande do Sul (RGS) - did it have to do with the heavier military heritage owing to being at the frontier of the Brazilian empire, or nearness to Argentina/Uruguay (wracked by destructive 19th century civil wars) and sharing much culture - including the gaucho aspect - with those countries, or for both reasons?

Plus, if RGS were to consist only of the eastern part of real-life RGS, and the western part (Misiones Orientales) was part of Uruguay or Argentina, would there have been a heavy military presence in the rump RGS? Would dictators (even if not exactly the same ones as in real life) have come from the rump RGS?
I suspect because RGS in the 1700's was pretty much the wild west of Brazil. Interestingly I think you are talking about Gularte and Vargas they link into my gene pool. Pretty much all the families that linked to Nobility in Brazil did whatever they wanted as long as they didn't upset the Crown that sense of entitlement was passed from generation to generation the feeling of being above others you still find it today.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I suspect because RGS in the 1700's was pretty much the wild west of Brazil. Interestingly I think you are talking about Gularte and Vargas they link into my gene pool. Pretty much all the families that linked to Nobility in Brazil did whatever they wanted as long as they didn't upset the Crown that sense of entitlement was passed from generation to generation the feeling of being above others you still find it today.
In terms of dictators, I'm having in mind Vargas plus the post-1964 ones (e.g. da Costa e Silva, Medici, and Geisel).

Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 PM

85 posts, read 122,317 times
I believe it had more to do with the ego battle between politicians and military from São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais. All the presidents in the military period were nominated by the brazilian armed forces. To choose a general from the three states above would be strongly poorly seen by the other two. Rio Grande do Sul has always been a natural choice in brazilian politics to keep the neutrality.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Interestingly I think you are talking about Gularte and Vargas they link into my gene pool.
João Goulart was not a dictador. He was the vice-president elected and when president Jânio Quadros resigned, "Jango" took the office, according to the constitution.

He had been vice-president since the mandate of Juscelino Kubitschek, and, at that election, Jango obtained more direct votes than the president elected (the election for president and vice-president were separeted at that time).

Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,800,313 times
If I remember my history correctly, before national borders were created in this region, it was ruled by caudillos/caudilhos, kind of like political-military bosses. They ruled their local areas and this caused lots of conflict.

Many military people in South America were also trained by European military personnel, Italians, Germans, etc....this influenced them ALOT.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,916,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Rago View Post
João Goulart was not a dictador. He was the vice-president elected and when president Jânio Quadros resigned, "Jango" took the office, according to the constitution.

He had been vice-president since the mandate of Juscelino Kubitschek, and, at that election, Jango obtained more direct votes than the president elected (the election for president and vice-president were separeted at that time).
I stand corrected on Goulart I should have checked I was working on memory the was incorrect. I have checked and Goulart's father was friends with Vargas the two families were from the same region in Portugal. The was another President named Euricio Gaspar Dutra that was from Matto Grosso that descends from people from my region for sure but I'm not sure the exact location.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
If I remember my history correctly, before national borders were created in this region, it was ruled by caudillos/caudilhos, kind of like political-military bosses. They ruled their local areas and this caused lots of conflict.

Many military people in South America were also trained by European military personnel, Italians, Germans, etc....this influenced them ALOT.
Leaders in the style of caudillos, or as they are named in Brazil "coronéis", rule some areas of Brazil until the present day...

A professor who worked with gold exploration in Bahia in the 90's tell us that when the gold price was good, mayors of small towns created their own small companies of exploration, and instead asking for the permission of the land owners for entering their properties and colletc samples, paying the due taxes (Bahia has its own table of compensations of this kind), they arrived with armed city hall employees and intimidated people to let them enter without paying anything.

No way truculence is limited to the southern region of Brazil, that's a myth. The violence of the "coronelism" remains widespread in many regions of Brazil. "Coronéis" in Brazil were never political-military bosses. They were just men, many times who came from nowhere, who gathered slaves, convinced other men as violent to work for them, and conquered land and cattle by murdering and intimidating. It happens a lot in Amazonia and the Northeast. No matter the kind name history books try to give them, they are pirates out of water.

I believe that the crude way of southern people is due a lot more to the fact that they were people who worked and lived under extremely hard circumstancies. The South of Brazil is a region that has dry periods in the summers, and is very cold in the winter. They got their way of being because they are from the region with the worst climate in Brazil.

I've never heard of people being trainned by european military... It sounds really weird to me. Don't fall for stories of how the southern people is superior etc. The european who immigrated to South were the same kind of european who has always immigrated to Brazil: poor, running away from hunger, analphabet, very religious, who came only to work the land, and in that activity took advantage because had better technics than the descendants of the free slaves.

The ones who went to South incorporated the rude way that the people there, a mixture of indigene with spanish, with great influence of native people (another professor of mine, from Alegrete, says that a study of the DNA of the people of Alegrete revealed that indigene have the higher percentage of participation in people's origin).

Really, I think that this story of military training by europeans is a tremendous lie. Of course that, in the 20's and 30's, fascism were very popular in Brazil. Fascist groups became popular in the colonies of immigrants, but they were popular everywhere (including Northeast). The same way fascism was popular in the US (come on, Hitler had a legion of admirers all over America)... But fascism in Brazil didn't go further from groups of young idiots trying to be part of something... They didn't get military training or anything. And when Brazil negociated its support to the US, all those "nazis" rapidly registered to fight against the nazis... There had never been a deep ideology envolved...

Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,800,313 times
Quote:
Leaders in the style of caudillos, or as they are named in Brazil "coronéis", rule some areas of Brazil until the present day...

A professor who worked with gold exploration in Bahia in the 90's tell us that when the gold price was good, mayors of small towns created their own small companies of exploration, and instead asking for the permission of the land owners for entering their properties and colletc samples, paying the due taxes (Bahia has its own table of compensations of this kind), they arrived with armed city hall employees and intimidated people to let them enter without paying anything.

No way truculence is limited to the southern region of Brazil, that's a myth. The violence of the "coronelism" remains widespread in many regions of Brazil. "Coronéis" in Brazil were never political-military bosses. They were just men, many times who came from nowhere, who gathered slaves, convinced other men as violent to work for them, and conquered land and cattle by murdering and intimidating. It happens a lot in Amazonia and the Northeast. No matter the kind name history books try to give them, they are pirates out of water.

I believe that the crude way of southern people is due a lot more to the fact that they were people who worked and lived under extremely hard circumstancies. The South of Brazil is a region that has dry periods in the summers, and is very cold in the winter. They got their way of being because they are from the region with the worst climate in Brazil.

I've never heard of people being trainned by european military... It sounds really weird to me. Don't fall for stories of how the southern people is superior etc. The european who immigrated to South were the same kind of european who has always immigrated to Brazil: poor, running away from hunger, analphabet, very religious, who came only to work the land, and in that activity took advantage because had better technics than the descendants of the free slaves.

The ones who went to South incorporated the rude way that the people there, a mixture of indigene with spanish, with great influence of native people (another professor of mine, from Alegrete, says that a study of the DNA of the people of Alegrete revealed that indigene have the higher percentage of participation in people's origin).

Really, I think that this story of military training by europeans is a tremendous lie. Of course that, in the 20's and 30's, fascism were very popular in Brazil. Fascist groups became popular in the colonies of immigrants, but they were popular everywhere (including Northeast). The same way fascism was popular in the US (come on, Hitler had a legion of admirers all over America)... But fascism in Brazil didn't go further from groups of young idiots trying to be part of something... They didn't get military training or anything. And when Brazil negociated its support to the US, all those "nazis" rapidly registered to fight against the nazis... There had never been a deep ideology envolved...
No they are not stories. I studied history and took a course specifically on military culture in Latin America. This was 4 months of study at graduate level with a scholar who had been studying that topic for at least 30 years. We focused on Brazil for a while.

This was a while ago now so I don't remember all of the details, but I do remember that Brazilian military, as well as many other South American militaries, were trained and guided by German and Italian military personnel during different periods. They were definitely influential in the military uprisings of the 20th century.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to all of the south of Brazil, or all of Rio Grande do Sul, or just the western half of Rio Grande do Sul (more gauchoesque and more pampa-filled than the eastern half), in terms of a hard climate in which to work and live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas