Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's very relevant because s large part of their ancestry comes from the Spanish colonizers. As opposed to Jamaica where the English did not settle in large numbers and who are not mostly European.
Are you sure you know what colonialism is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
You didn't address my post. You went way off topic actually. I said Puerto Rican's are heavily of Spanish/European descent and this puts them much closer to other Latin Americans and sets them apart from Islands like the Jamaicans. Even if you're right about St. Barths, it's completely irrelevant to what I say saying. You do know how to stay on topic don't you?
Oh I did address your post. You claimed that Puerto Rico is closer to white than the other Caribbean nations.

St. Barths is a Caribbean island and it is more white than Puerto Rico. I am not off topic. You made another false claim. There are other non-Hispanic islands besides Jamaica. Find a map and see for yourself.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Oh I did address your post. You claimed that Puerto Rico is closer to white than the other Caribbean nations.

St. Barths is a Caribbean island and it is more white than Puerto Rico. I am not off topic. You made another false claim. There are other non-Hispanic islands besides Jamaica. Find a map and see for yourself.
I did not make another false claim.

I'm very well aware there are other non Hispanic nations besides Jamaica. Haiti. Jamaica. Barbados, I could go on, but there is no reason.

Because my ultimate point was the racial mixture and cultural heritage in Puerto Rico is typical of Latin America, and not typical of the non Hispanic Caribbean and I stand by that point.

You have some sort of ridiculous hypersensitive attitude. You might go see a therapist.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Are you sure you know what colonialism is?
Yes. I do.

The US was a former British colony. Almost all white Canada and New Zealand were colonies too. Very white Argentina is a colony.

Being a former colony doesn't mean most of your people are necessarily not European by the way.

Puerto Rico is a former Spanish colony, however people are heaving Spanish/White (not entirely so, but the typical Puerto Rican is more white than black or native, though of course this does vary individually).

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 PM

My ultimate point, is still the same. That the Spanish and Portuguese (Brazil) nations of Latin America are pretty similar to each other lingustically, culturally, and racially (lot of people of at least partial European descent) and in these ways they are pretty different from many of the non Hispanic Caribbean nations that have a much higher percentage of Blacks.

For whatever bizarre reason, this has offended certain people to the point of being irrational. Which makes absolutely no sense. Face reality!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 AM

210 posts, read 200,003 times
Quote:
My ultimate point, is still the same. That the Spanish and Portuguese (Brazil) nations of Latin America are pretty similar to each other lingustically, culturally, and racially (lot of people of at least partial European descent) and in these ways they are pretty different from many of the non Hispanic Caribbean nations that have a much higher percentage of Blacks.

For whatever bizarre reason, this has offended certain people to the point of being irrational. Which makes absolutely no sense. Face reality!

Maybe some people feel offended because when you say 'it's all the same' you come across as condescending as you deny (deliberately or not) their cultural identity.
It would be like saying that all Blacks share the commonality of being homeless/unemployed, live off government assistant, have high crime-low IQ and other outrageous fallacies of that nature you would certainly beg to differ. And you would be right.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Maybe some people feel offended because when you say 'it's all the same' you come across as condescending as you deny (deliberately or not) their cultural identity.
It would be like saying that all Blacks share the commonality of being homeless/unemployed, live off government assistant, have high crime-low IQ and other outrageous fallacies of that nature you would certainly beg to differ. And you would be right.
I never said anything is all the same, so apparently some people here have poor reading comprehension. I said that there are major commonalities between Latin American nations on the basis of language, culture, and racial identity and mixed race identities that separate them from the non Hispanic Caribbean nations.

That's not the same as saying every Latin American nation is identical, I never said that and if some people here can't understand that, it's on them.

And if someone said all Black people were criminals, low IQ, and on welfare, I wouldn't have to say anything at all. It's certainly not true of me, and I really could careless about anyone else.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
I did not make another false claim.

I'm very well aware there are other non Hispanic nations besides Jamaica. Haiti. Jamaica. Barbados, I could go on, but there is no reason.

Because my ultimate point was the racial mixture and cultural heritage in Puerto Rico is typical of Latin America, and not typical of the non Hispanic Caribbean and I stand by that point.

You have some sort of ridiculous hypersensitive attitude. You might go see a therapist.
Actually you did make a false claim. You said Puerto Ricans are closer to white than other Caribbean islands. I pointed out that is not true of the entire non-Hispanic Caribbean as St. Barths is the whitest island, as the majority there descend from Swedes and the French. Most are white.

What is your problem with that? In these discussions you have admitted you have no interest in the rest of the Caribbean so of course, it is no surprise that you had no idea that you were incorrect.

Of course Puerto Rico's mixture is typical of Latin America. But you're still wrong about it being the whitest island in the Caribbean.

Get over it.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

The US was a former British colony. Almost all white Canada and New Zealand were colonies too. Very white Argentina is a colony.

Being a former colony doesn't mean most of your people are necessarily not European by the way.

Puerto Rico is a former Spanish colony, however people are heaving Spanish/White (not entirely so, but the typical Puerto Rican is more white than black or native, though of course this does vary individually).
You first said that Puerto Rican's were not colonized, now you say Puerto Rico was a colony. Which is it?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
You first said that Puerto Rican's were not colonized, now you say Puerto Rico was a colony. Which is it?
Ignore him. He knows nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas