Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 AM

212 posts, read 208,848 times

Advertisements

[quote=caribny;41518026]The Cuban census says that, I don't hear Cubans of any type denying this fact.

Funny that a drop of non African ancestry makes one not black, but here we have huge numbers of Cubans (64% in Cuba, 86% in the USA) self identifying as white.

How come the same rules don't apply? Is it that there is something so precious about "whiteness" that all must rush to it, and "blackness" is so terrible, that any one who doesn't look 100% sub Saharan African must rush from it?

Latin American hypocrisy, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't accompanied by endless chatter about how "race obsessed" the USA is. Clear race is a very powerful social construct in Latin America, even if folks consider any talk of it to be taboo.[/QUOTE

It was an American Census, not Cuban. Most Cubans in the US are white, the same way that most Haitians that fled to Cuba were white. Anyways, what do you care?

So they must identify themseleves as Mandingans for you to be happpy? You need help.

You should relate to people that have some relation with you insted of spewing ignorance and hate to human beings that are as demoted from you as Indonesians. Cubans of any race don't have anything to do with Jamaica, please.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,757 times
Default What are you really asking?

The historic reaction to colonial oppression is all over this thread.

Many issues are involved with this post. The first one that jumps out at me is when the OP wrote:
Quote:
"They are really native Americans who speak Español. I discovered a lot of Latino people have Native American relatives. So why don't they claim there inheritance and land back already? I mean why can anybody explain?"
The OP is confusing genetic DNA with culture ... with nations... with countries.

There's an idealism that seems to say, "If Latin Americans all bind together, we can take over the United States ... and 'take back our country.'"

I've heard this so much that it stinks.
It gets in your way.
  • First of all, Native Americans in the Southwestern U.S. constantly fought with Mexicans.
  • Secondly, in Mexico and a few other Latin American countries, there's been the oppressive looking down on "Indians".
  • Third, the complex issue of what is "white" can appear as stupid to outsiders. When we look at Mexican television, the commentators are always very pale skin and European looking and the audience is brown and "Indian" looking. When you get down to it, there is "ONLY ONE RACE" ... and that's the human race. There are many ethnic groups and geneotypes ... but one "race"... otherwise we couldn't procreate.
But the most glaring idea within the OP's original "question" is this.... "claim there (their) inheritance and land back already."

Nope.
Not going to happen.
The idea that Latin people ... (more heard from Mexicans) ... can invade the U.S. and "take back their land" creates disharmony. If Mexicans or Central Americans want to "take back their land," why don't they take their own countries back from criminal cartels and selfish politicians?

The argument is like having your house foreclosed on, or even selling it ... and then 30 years later, driving by it and loving what the new owners has done with it and saying, "I think I'll take it back."

Take your own country back instead of running into another country and claiming it's yours.
If you lose a war, you've lost a war. It's another nation and that nation built itself.
We don't even have to split hairs on this one about all the contributions by this group or that group. This, "pirate" idea pits people against each other unnecessarily.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
[

Quote:
Nope.
Not going to happen.
The idea that Latin people ... (more heard from Mexicans) ... can invade the U.S. and "take back their land" creates disharmony. If Mexicans or Central Americans want to "take back their land," why don't they take their own countries back from criminal cartels and selfish politicians?
Central Americans don't make that claim.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:27 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
[

Central Americans don't make that claim.
And most Mexicans don't even care about this war or taking back land- those are fantasious ideas that a few disgruntled, politicized Chicanos have. Lol Now paranoid Americans online have run with it...

Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
And most Mexicans don't even care about this war or taking back land- those are fantasious ideas that a few disgruntled, politicized Chicanos have. Lol Now paranoid Americans online have run with it...
True, I don't think I have ever actually heard a Mexican make such a claim.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:05 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
[.

So they must identify themseleves as Mandingans for you to be happpy? You need help.

I think that Latin Americans need help. Yes I know that your only claim to a sense of moral equivalency to the USA is that you all claim to not have racism. This while we look at the high levels of corruption, and other negative ills.

Face it. To be black in Latin America is to be stigmatized and degraded, and to be white is to be exalted. Hence all sorts of mulattos and mestizos rush to be "white", while any one who doesn't look as if they just arrived from Nigeria, rushes to be anything other than being black.

In addition it is WAY BETTER to be "black" in Guyana than it is to be one in Colombia or Brazil.

I suggest that it is YOU who need help!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I think that Latin Americans need help. Yes I know that your only claim to a sense of moral equivalency to the USA is that you all claim to not have racism. This while we look at the high levels of corruption, and other negative ills.

Face it. To be black in Latin America is to be stigmatized and degraded, and to be white is to be exalted. Hence all sorts of mulattos and mestizos rush to be "white", while any one who doesn't look as if they just arrived from Nigeria, rushes to be anything other than being black.

In addition it is WAY BETTER to be "black" in Guyana than it is to be one in Colombia or Brazil.

I suggest that it is YOU who need help!
Despite the fact some things you say hold water, you're arrogance is jarring and tiresome.

You state that Latin Americans need help, let me tell you something, the whole of human kind needs help matey! Latin Americans don't sing about shooting up "battybwoys", it's a far more liberal society. I can harp on about the ills of each cultural sub-set around the world except 100 years from now my rants will be out of date because cultural norms and perceptions change within societies.

Now, legal segregation (i.e. USA & S.Africa) or civilian motivated klu klux clan-esque organisations didn't exist in most of Latin America. On the other hand the encouragement of mestizaje (soft racism) somehow has created the notion that because we're predominantly a mixed people somehow racism disappears as if by magic - not the case either.

You also can't take Argentina's racial experience and lump it together with Guatemala and then lump that with Cuba. it simply doesn't work like that.

In Colombia for example the geographical separations have kept communities that share an ethnic composition isolated from other ethnicities or people with different ethnic components, for centuries!

Three Andean ranges that dissect the country south to north where the lowest land passes are 3km high and the dividing valleys reach close to sea level, an expansive savannah, expansive Amazon, the great marshes separating Andes and Caribbean and the first/second rainiest place on earth, the Chocoan Pacific coast jungle. This fact alone makes the Colombian racial experience very different from that of the US and you and others consistently use your racial experiences to make sense of the experience in other societies - this simply doesn't work!

True there are varying examples, the Dominican Republic comes to mind, where up untill extremely recently (I'm talking about the last decade) people have generally dissociated themselves from their African heritage. Conversely there are also societies that grasp onto that heritage so hard, like the Palenqueros, a Bantu influenced language and marimba music from the Pacific coast of Colombia both of which have been declared UNESCO world heritage.

Institutional racism not only comes from prejudice but also isolation - something the US doesn't experience due to its relatively flat geography and interconnected transport. This conversation continues and develops within Latin America and one of the most important steps have already begun to entrench themselves, which is a strongly promoted local African and Indigenous identity from the grass-root communities that belong to those identities.

PS: As for that VEGANWRITER woman running with the whole chicano gang crap of taking back "their" land as if its some sort of national mantra is sooo stupid! If that may be the case that's your problem now within your own borders. Most 120 million Mexicans within Mexico don't even think about the notion. Yet another example of the problems of racism & prejudice exasperated by ignorance at a US civil level.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 10-29-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas