Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

What is the relationship between these countries? I heard they fought a short war over soccer... who actually won because I search and don't get a definite answer. I know there have been dispute between these 2 countries over islands. Are more Salvadorans migrating to Honduras or more Hondurans migrating to El Salvador? What is the percentage of immigrants migrating to each of their countries? These neighboring hispanic country are very alike especially when it comes to their accent, it's hard to tell it apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Salvadoreans are not liked in Honduras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMV_ljqdgzQ

Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Salvadoreans are not liked in Honduras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMV_ljqdgzQ
why are Hondurans part of Mara Salvatrucha, actually a lot of them are members, if they hate Salvadorans so much why would they join a Salvadoran gang that has the Salvadoran name in it? thats like a racist kkk member joining the black panther party

Old 10-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Not all but many of the ms13 in Honduras are actually salvadoreans, that's why they are not liked. If your ever in Honduras and read the local papers, you will see that not a week goes by without some salvadoreans being arrested for something.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:19 PM

146 posts, read 139,685 times
The brief war fought during the 60's between Honduras and El Salvador was not about soccer at all, but rather the ongoing tension between the two countries that reached a climax after violence broke out between their respective fans at a World Cup qualifier game. The real issues were related to overwhelming immigration of Salvadorans into Honduras (Honduras having remarkably more land for is population compared to El Salvador), and the subsequent land reform enacted in Honduras to quell the capability of Salvadorans inhabiting Honduran land.

There was technically no "winner." A lot of civilians were killed or unhoused (mostly Honduran), the OAS intervened, and El Salvador withdrew while Honduras agreed to keep and not mistreat Salvadoran immigrants.

Many more Salvadorans continued to immigrate to Honduras, especially during the Salvadoran Civil War during the 80s and early 90s.

Currently, the population density for El Salvador is 291 compared to 77 for Honduras. I don't think there has ever been much of a history of Honduran migration to El Salvador as there just hasn't been much room for more people. With the current state of things in Honduras, I would assume most Salvadoran migrants have their sights set on the US, instead.

The two are very similar culturally, but of course have their own unique qualities. Because of their proximity and all the Salvadorans in Honduras, many things are similar across the two countries. For example, Pupusas are considered a Salvadoran specialty food but you can find many pupuserias in Honduras and many homes in Honduras where they make them as a regular item. Traditionally, pupusas made from rice flour were distinctly Salvadoran, whereas they are made with corn masa in Honduras.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM

10,112 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Crime is usually a common theme among neighboring countries that dislike each other. Other themes could be a perception of being flooded and overwhelmed by massive illegal immigration, past national struggles when for a long time the main agressor was one country and happened to be the closest neighbor, among other things. Usually one country traumatizes its neighbor for many many years and those wounds have a habit of lingering in the national psyche for generations after hostilities ended.

With the recent discovery of epi-genetic inheritance, some are beginning to wonder if societies who's civilian population went through great stress for a generation or two due to hostilities from a neighboring country, if that extra stress gets imbedded in the genes and are later passed down to future offsprings who then pass it down to their children. In a way, this is a genetic memory of a traumatic event and the future generations react to triggers that are similar to what their ancestors went through even though they themselves never lived through that. Their body and mind reacts as if they are either experiencing what their ancestors experienced or are about to experience that. This is a defense mechanism that the human body applies in order to protect future generations from the same possible threat and keep the descendants multiplying.

Is there a phenomenon that could be termed 'anti-salvadoranism' in Honduras? Or maybe its something that is emerging and is still not well defined?

Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post

Many more Salvadorans continued to immigrate to Honduras, especially during the Salvadoran Civil War during the 80s and early 90s.

Currently, the population density for El Salvador is 291 compared to 77 for Honduras. I don't think there has ever been much of a history of Honduran migration to El Salvador as there just hasn't been much room for more people. With the current state of things in Honduras, I would assume most Salvadoran migrants have their sights set on the US, instead.
You are right for the most part but there has been over the past 10-15 years a lot of Honduran migrant workers going to El Salvador (Nicaraguans also), specially to work on sugar cane plantations. The reason for this is that they will earn USD in El Salvador and make a bit more than they would back home. El Salvador needs to bring in workers from neighboring countries because Salvadoreans don't want to work in the fields anymore, So many of them have relatives in the US it is easier to collect remittance money than to work. Salvadoreans would rather risk going to the US illegally. There are more Salvadoreans in the US than any other Central American group. Here in Canada they were the largest Latin group for a while. There are now more Mexicans and Colombians here. Despite all this, Salvadoreans still move to neighboring countries, not nearly as much as in the past but they still do.

Quote:
The two are very similar culturally, but of course have their own unique qualities. Because of their proximity and all the Salvadorans in Honduras, many things are similar across the two countries. For example, Pupusas are considered a Salvadoran specialty food but you can find many pupuserias in Honduras and many homes in Honduras where they make them as a regular item. Traditionally, pupusas made from rice flour were distinctly Salvadoran, whereas they are made with corn masa in Honduras
You are right, thats why I find it funny when people say Salvadorean food is so much better than Honduran. Pupusas are very traditional in parts of Honduras as well, aside from one or two dishes the two countries basically have the same cuisine.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Is there a phenomenon that could be termed 'anti-salvadoranism' in Honduras? Or maybe its something that is emerging and is still not well defined?
No, I don't think so. My comment earlier about Hondurans not liking Salvadoreans was a bit of an exaggeration, directed at the OP. for the most part I think Salvadoreans and Hondurans get a long well. Most of the bad blood is among older generations, and if there is anti Salvadorean sentiment in Honduras there is probably just as much bad sentiment in El Salvador towards Hondurans. There is still some border disputes and tempers flare up every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsdAocr698

Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM

146 posts, read 139,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No, I don't think so. My comment earlier about Hondurans not liking Salvadoreans was a bit of an exaggeration, directed at the OP. for the most part I think Salvadoreans and Hondurans get a long well. Most of the bad blood is among older generations, and if there is anti Salvadorean sentiment in Honduras there is probably just as much bad sentiment in El Salvador towards Hondurans. There is still some border disputes and tempers flare up every now and then
When I lived in Honduras, my contemporaries were those who would have grown up during the time of El Salvador's Civil War and who, for the most part, seemed to have a lot of compassion for their Salvadoran peers for what their families went through during that time, rather then any stigma or dislike of them. I agree that it may have been something in older people or border towns.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
When I lived in Honduras, my contemporaries were those who would have grown up during the time of El Salvador's Civil War and who, for the most part, seemed to have a lot of compassion for their Salvadoran peers for what their families went through during that time, rather then any stigma or dislike of them. I agree that it may have been something in older people or border towns.
Interesting. My ex was born in Honduras to Salvadorean parents during the civil war. She said they didn't have the best experience with Hondurans but they lived in a small town close to the border. Things were tense during those times, maybe things were different in Tegucigalpa or SPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas