Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 03:04 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

I know comparisons can be silly, but I have noticed a pattern slightly that if one were two split Latin America into Middle/Central and South America, once can find countries that match up in very noticeable cultural characteristics.

Here is what I noticed as an American with a father that has traveled a lot, and me who has been to Ecuador Mexico, and have studied the other countries to see which ones I want to go to next. Here is my matching up South America with Middle/Central America with my reasoning:

Mexico and Brazil: Both countries have a MUCH larger population, 120 million and 200 million respectively than the next largest countries in population, with a population spread out enough that have such HUGE cultural differences from one end to another, that more than any other Latin american country can not be generalized.

Peru and Guatemala: The homelands of two of the most advanced pre-Colombians cultures (Inca and Maya respectively) that left behind the greatest structures and material culture left standing and on display that form the backbone of the tourism in countries. Both countries have half its population indigenous or mostly.

Honduras and Venezuela: Presently the most dangerous and violent within their regions.

Guyana and Belize: Although Belize has more Spanish influence, both are not really Latin America, but rather former British colonies, that are mostly of African descent, and closer to Caribbean in culture, with vast pristine tropical forest away from the coast.

Colombia and Puerto Rico/Cuba: The common origin of salsa dancing says a lot.

Chile/Argentina and Costa Rica/Panama: This comparison is a bit of a stretch, but both countries in their regions are considered to be the safest, most stable, most economically developed, most Americanize or Europeanized (and long a destination for American and European expats), and also most expensive in their regions.

What do you think of my comparisons? Am I way off, are these a stretch? Do I have too much time on my hands? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM

134 posts, read 162,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I know comparisons can be silly, but I have noticed a pattern slightly that if one were two split Latin America into Middle/Central and South America, once can find countries that match up in very noticeable cultural characteristics.

Here is what I noticed as an American with a father that has traveled a lot, and me who has been to Ecuador Mexico, and have studied the other countries to see which ones I want to go to next. Here is my matching up South America with Middle/Central America with my reasoning:

Mexico and Brazil: Both countries have a MUCH larger population, 120 million and 200 million respectively than the next largest countries in population, with a population spread out enough that have such HUGE cultural differences from one end to another, that more than any other Latin american country can not be generalized.

Peru and Guatemala: The homelands of two of the most advanced pre-Colombians cultures (Inca and Maya respectively) that left behind the greatest structures and material culture left standing and on display that form the backbone of the tourism in countries. Both countries have half its population indigenous or mostly.

Honduras and Venezuela: Presently the most dangerous and violent within their regions.

Guyana and Belize: Although Belize has more Spanish influence, both are not really Latin America, but rather former British colonies, that are mostly of African descent, and closer to Caribbean in culture, with vast pristine tropical forest away from the coast.

Colombia and Puerto Rico/Cuba: The common origin of salsa dancing says a lot.

Chile/Argentina and Costa Rica/Panama: This comparison is a bit of a stretch, but both countries in their regions are considered to be the safest, most stable, most economically developed, most Americanize or Europeanized (and long a destination for American and European expats), and also most expensive in their regions.

What do you think of my comparisons? Am I way off, are these a stretch? Do I have too much time on my hands? lol.
I agree, interesting comparisons

Old 11-25-2015, 05:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
LOL, If you look at a map of both countries they kind of have a similar shape, except Honduras is much smaller.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:17 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Ecuador - Costa Rica/Nicaragua

Colombia - Panama/Dominican Republic

Old 11-28-2015, 08:21 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Oh goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
INCORRECT.

Please do a bit of research. Guyana's largest population is South Asian (43%), specifically of Indian descent. The second largest population is African descended (30%). Then mixed, Amerindian, Chinese, etc.

The Hindu population (28%) is almost as large as the Protestant Christian there (30%). There is also a significant Muslim population .

Old 11-28-2015, 08:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Ecuador - Costa Rica/Nicaragua

Colombia - Panama/Dominican Republic
I was thinking these as well.

Costa Rica and Ecuador are the two Latin American countries synonymous with ecotourism.

Panama makes sense as it was part of Colombia. Cartegena is very Caribbean, so maybe DR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas