Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,701,145 times

Advertisements

Richmond strikes me as something of an anonomaly. I cant find any other place in Virginia that is as instrinsincly Southern.

It makes Hampton Roads almost feel like NJ.

I consider VA Southern (yes even Northern Virginia) but lets face it, its barely the South. But Richmond is more like a Deep South town trapped at the Southern end of the Mid-Atlantic! Look at the map, and most people say "Richmond cant be all THAT Southern!"...

I know some will disagree with me here. Thats because many are not familiar with the nuances of Richmond as I am. I cant explain it- its just something. You will know what Im talking about...

The people , the older ladies in flowered hats and white gloves, even Ukrop's. The way the older people speak. The rowhouses with the large white columns and such. Monument Ave...

I dont know how to explain something because its more like a "vibe" than anything else. But its so distinctive, you cant even put your finger on it...

But I have been to places all over the South- Nashville, Charleston, Atlanta, etc. Richmond just owns all of them. Go South of Richmond and its more North Carolinian. Go North or West and East, and its more Southern Lite and pretty Yankee in Fairfax.... But Richmond just oozes South. DEEP South.
A friend told me once its as if a group of Mississippians decided to move North, reached the James River and said "This is all the far North we can go" and settled Richmond.

Go ahead disagree with me. You cant really understand it, unless you know Richmond as I do.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 PM

132 posts, read 254,474 times
Round 746 of the "Is Richmond southern?" debate! lmao

IMO its not... and Ive lived up and down the east coast, for me the grid layout, the rowhouses, the proximity to the NE corridore, the age of the infrastructure and the attitude does not parellel that of an Atlanta or some city or town in MS or AL... but thats my opinion... we have all voiced our opinion about this topic over and over again...

Easy answer = anything south of Deleware is the south so sayeth Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon

Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRAMAL View Post
Round 746 of the "Is Richmond southern?" debate! lmao

IMO its not... and Ive lived up and down the east coast, for me the grid layout, the rowhouses, the proximity to the NE corridore, the age of the infrastructure and the attitude does not parellel that of an Atlanta or some city or town in MS or AL... but thats my opinion... we have all voiced our opinion about this topic over and over again...

Easy answer = anything south of Deleware is the south so sayeth Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon
Bla bla bla. The rowhouses are Southern. They have rowhouses in Charleston and Savannah. I suppose that means they arent Southern cities?

But beyond that. I have been to ATlanta which hardly felt Southern at all in comparison to Richmond. And did you notice I said Im talking about CULTURE not Geography, which is the point of my thread. There is more to a city than its apperance.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,710,450 times
It's hard to go anywhere here and not see anyone you don't know. I've always said this is the south.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
It's hard to go anywhere here and not see anyone you don't know. I've always said this is the south.
youve gotta be kidding me? with a metro population of over 5 million people do you think you would bump into the same people over and over again in Atlanta? Or in the middle of Houstons almost 6 million?

Im not talking about in your neighborhood, im talking all around town.

I once bumpped into a room mate from school in atlanta in the middle of times square!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRAMAL View Post
youve gotta be kidding me? with a metro population of over 5 million people do you think you would bump into the same people over and over again in Atlanta? Or in the middle of Houstons almost 6 million?

Im not talking about in your neighborhood, im talking all around town.

I once bumpped into a room mate from school in atlanta in the middle of times square!
Size doesnt matter anyway.

Atlanta is about as Southern as a knish ! I swear that town looks and feels far more like a NE city than Richmond on any day.

Houston is not very Southern either. Richmond is Old South. And your point about the NE corridor is a moot point anyways, because as you see I said Richmond was Geographically mismatched (and if you wanna go by geography alone, Richmond is actually closer to NC than the NE, but I digress).

Theres actually no debate Richmond being Southern. But to me, its like Southern fried-Southern to the core.

Northern Virginia- now thats a debate!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM

19,285 posts, read 17,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post

Atlanta is about as Southern as a knish !
Good line! I like that. Perhaps the answer to all of this what is southern? Does a town have to be a line out of dixie or perhaps the genteel ways before the turbulance of the 60's? I was stationed in Anniston Alabama for a while definately the south but not something I would want to duplicate...anywhere. Perhaps it's the pace or even that people take time to enjoy the simple things? Architecture and cuisine are not the only standards to create an identity for an area.

Just some thoughts

Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Size doesnt matter anyway.

Atlanta is about as Southern as a knish ! I swear that town looks and feels far more like a NE city than Richmond on any day.

Houston is not very Southern either. Richmond is Old South. And your point about the NE corridor is a moot point anyways, because as you see I said Richmond was Geographically mismatched (and if you wanna go by geography alone, Richmond is actually closer to NC than the NE, but I digress).

Theres actually no debate Richmond being Southern. But to me, its like Southern fried-Southern to the core.

Northern Virginia- now thats a debate!
I made sure to include that it is MY opinion. Obviously you do not share the same one. Cool. I also added that according to the Mason Dixon line it is most deffinitly the south! End of debate.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,741,329 times
Calm down everybody. Agree to disagree instead of fighting. No need to raise your blood pressure over something someone posted on an Internet forum
Yac.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Can we close this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond