Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:37 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times

Advertisements

Cuban town of Baragua's British West Indian heritage - BBC News

Quote:
It is almost a century since hundreds of people headed for Cuba from British territories in the West Indies, looking for work in the country's sugar industry.
The town of Baragua, in the centre of the island, was transformed by their arrival.
They brought with them the English language and many British traditions, but when Cuba's Communist government came into power during the 1960s, life dramatically changed.
The BBC's Sarah Rainsford reports on how are they managing to keep their traditions alive.
I have always been highly interested in this subject, because many of my family migrated to Spanish speaking countries as well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
My family spread throughout all of the Americas. Different sisters came from Europe to Trinidad and the married different men and migrated all over. As a result I have distant family in places like Costs Rica, Belize, Brasil and Venezuela.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:33 PM

302 posts, read 308,622 times
My family is from Guyana. I recently found out I have distant family in Dominican Republic. But there has been a mass influx of Portuguese in to the Caribbean and Anglo Phone countries in the turn of the 20th century. 70-80% of them came to Guyana from Cape Verde,Maidera, and Azzores.Some were from Brazil.There is sizable amount of Guyanse that have Brazilian ancestry especially if they are from interior and have Amerindian ancestry.Many Brazilians occupy Guyana today.There is also a lesser amount of Venezuelans in Guyana.

On the flipside there is a Guyanese population Venezuela some estimates the number to be from 55k to 100,000 .

Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Some of my West Indian family members moved to Cuba decades ago, probably for the reasons listed in the article.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:45 PM

41 posts, read 38,587 times
There were many immigrants from places such as Jamaica and Haiti who were taken to Ecuador to work on building railroad tracks in the mid-to-late 19th century and many stayed there forever along with some Chinese immigrants who also moved and stayed there. There is for example, a famous now-deceased singer, Julio Jaramillo, whose ancestry has been partially traced to Jamaica. Ecuador is also about 7 to 8 percent black. That is, people who identify only as black (Think of Ecuador's national soccer team, those blacks) It also has about another 8 percent Montubio, or mixed-race, who may have partially black ancestry in them. There is also 72 percent who identify as "mestizo" or with partially White and Amerindian descent and from those there's no telling how many black admixture some of them might have. Jaramillo himself did not look like your typical black man, rather mixed-raced as your average Ecuadorian.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Default Panama...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post
There were many immigrants from places such as Jamaica and Haiti who were taken to Ecuador to work on building railroad tracks in the mid-to-late 19th century and many stayed there forever along with some Chinese immigrants who also moved and stayed there. There is for example, a famous now-deceased singer, Julio Jaramillo, whose ancestry has been partially traced to Jamaica. Ecuador is also about 7 to 8 percent black. That is, people who identify only as black (Think of Ecuador's national soccer team, those blacks) It also has about another 8 percent Montubio, or mixed-race, who may have partially black ancestry in them. There is also 72 percent who identify as "mestizo" or with partially White and Amerindian descent and from those there's no telling how many black admixture some of them might have. Jaramillo himself did not look like your typical black man, rather mixed-raced as your average Ecuadorian.

I have heard that a lot of Jamacians went to Panama. I know there are many people from Trinidad that moved to Venezuela before (including people in my family), but now I heard that people from Venezuela at trying to move to Trinidad for work (which sounds strange to me).

Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
The entire Caribbean coast of Central America is dotted with communities of people that have roots in the West Indies.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
There are numerous places where West Indians have migrated within Latin America. Where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have heard that a lot of Jamacians went to Panama. I know there are many people from Trinidad that moved to Venezuela before (including people in my family), but now I heard that people from Venezuela at trying to move to Trinidad for work (which sounds strange to me).
There has long been movement between Venezuela and Trinidad - both ways. A lot of Trinis have Venezuelan roots. Just look at the Christmas music, parang, which has roots in Venezuelan parranda. The greats, like Daisy Voisin, tend to have Venezuelan parentage.

Trinidad is more stable than Venezuela so that's why people come over. Not sure why that is strange.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Still a bit strange to me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There are numerous places where West Indians have migrated within Latin America. Where to start...

There has long been movement between Venezuela and Trinidad - both ways. A lot of Trinis have Venezuelan roots. Just look at the Christmas music, parang, which has roots in Venezuelan parranda. The greats, like Daisy Voisin, tend to have Venezuelan parentage.

Trinidad is more stable than Venezuela so that's why people come over. Not sure why that is strange.

My family is from Trinidad. I the main reason I find it funny is that in most cases people from smaller places tend to want to move to bigger places and not the other way around. I do get the cultural influences each country has on each other due to people moving between the 2 places as I have people in my own family who have gone there to live a long time ago. As much as I do appreciate my Trinidadian roots... I got to say if I had to pick anywhere else in the world to move to I am not feeling that Trinidad would be high on my list in terms of finding great employment or other economic opportunity, safety and stability. Then again, my standards for these things are likely a lot higher based on where I currently live possibly compared to someone living in Venezuela right now.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Cuban town of Baragua's British West Indian heritage - BBC News

I have always been highly interested in this subject, because many of my family migrated to Spanish speaking countries as well!!

These traditions are now dying out, and many of these descendants no longer speak English. A tragedy given that it is a globally dominant language, and its retention would help the employment prospects of many of these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas