Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times

Advertisements

I guess I can say I base my opinion on the bright colors...blues, oranges, pinks, reds...compared to Cartagena's faded yellow throughout (generally speaking). El Morro de San Juan gives off an air that you can't quite find in Cartagena...not better or worse, simply different. No "hustlers" either. I don't want to discredit Cartagena though, as I previously mentioned there are many, many reasons to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Old San Juan is the better kept of all the surviving Spanish colonial cities in the Caribbean islands and area. The only thing that the city is missing are more main sights, because that’s the only thing every other Spanish colonial city in the Caribbean beats Old San Juan. The most impressive aspect of Old San Juan is the El Morro fortress that still overlooks the old city from the coast. Its so massive that you even see it in the license plates of many cars. In a way it has become a symbol of Puerto Rico. Also Juan Ponce de León is buried at the main cathedral (which dates to the 1700’s.)

Cartagena has a different architecture in many buildings that is simply not seen in Old San Juan. Its all Spanish colonial, but there is something different. Cartagena is not as well kept as Old San Juan, but they have done quite a job in fixing the place. I think they are still working with some buildings.

Santo Domingo looks much more different from all the Spanish colonial cities in the Caribbean. Its also the only city that still conserve most of its 1500’s main buildings, which is something missing in the rest of the continent mostly because other cities became rich and powerful many decades or centuries after Santo Domingo. It also conserves the only Medieval building in America (Torre del Homenaje, all other types in the whole continent are neo). Santo Domingo suffered a lot at the end of the 1500 (for example, Sir Francis Drake invaded the city in 1586 and destroyed one-third of the city until he got his ransom, which included the original bells of the Oldest Cathedral of the New World and then he went to attempt taking over of none other than Cartagena which was on alert after news hit the empire in disbelief that Santo Domingo had fallen, LOL) and through out the 1600’s. The 1700’s was an era of a renaissance in the city since it grew again (thanks to the Spaniards of the Canary Islands that moved to the island in the mid-1600’s all the way to 1795, where a screeching halt was made to that island and then the Haitian invasions basically put an end to that migration en masse.) Despite the growth, it wasn’t the Santo Domingo of the 1500’s and it shows in modern times. Also the Hurricane of San Zenon damaged much of the city, which at that time was overwhelmingly the Colonial Zone. That is why the architecture is more Art Deco the further away one gets to the river. They are doing a make over of the Colonial Zone, which they finished the first wave. The whole district is going to be changed in three waves. The buildings from the 1500’s are mostly going to be white or pastel colors, but every other building is going to be very colorful (which I don’t agree, but whatever). The streets are going to be changed too, including the pedestrian Calle El Conde. Some of the streets near the river were part of the first wave, so in Google Street View you will get an idea what a good chunk of the Colonial Zone will look like in a few years (could take a couple of decades though.)

Old Havana is the darling of the Spanish Caribbean. They are slowly fixing many of the old buildings. Many of the squares are already done and it looks very beautiful. One thing people need to remember of Old Havana is that it became one of the richest city in the world at the end of the Spanish colonial era, which lasted on that island from 1492 to 1898. Then the Americans made sure modern Havana was also prosperous until Fidel Castro rose to power. Its a city that became mature at the right time from an architectural point of view. Although the Spanish also build many modern areas of Havana (El Prado was build by the Spanish when Tacón was the governor. Where now is a park with a statue of José Martí there used to be a statue on that very spot to Queen Isabella of Spain.) As everybody knows, most of Havana is currently rundown, but its still beautiful.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-12-2019 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
I am proud to say I have never been to Cartagena.
(not an ocean/beach person in general, and I don't like hanging around places where there's a bunch of expat tourists.)
If I'm going to go to a beach in Colombia it's going to be some off the beaten path place where there aren't any tourists. And I don't have any plans for this because I don't like hot humid beaches.

Put me up in the mountains and that's where I'm happy.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
I think I get your style...and I think you´d love San Andrés. There´s so much breeze coming from all directions that you barely sweat.

The cuisine and that Raizal culture are one of a kind. There are plenty of foreign tourists, but more of them are Brazilian (I wouldn´t say they´re even the majority, but the largest plurality for sure). They´re generally well-behaved...it´s not so easy to fly to the island from just anywhere, and it´s more expensive than anywhere else, so it draws a high-brow clientele. Locals often rent their houses out in establishments known as posadas...we met Brazilian, Costa Rican, Mexican and some wonderful Bogotano tourists in the one we stayed in.

Who you´d want to stay away from are the package tourists staying at the cheapest hotels on the island...they´re Colombians who treat the locals like crap and don´t know how to comport themselves...just like the "ugly Americans" in Cancún or wherever else, they have made a name for themselves.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
For real Raizal flavour and culture you need to head to Old Providence..I love that island. Crab cay is bliss and the view from The Peak stunning.

As for Cartagena to dismiss it just because of the tourists is an attitude I just don't get. If that's your thinking then you'll never experience Venice or the Great Wall of China. You just have to learn to block out the white noice, plenty of authenticity left in Cartagena.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I think I get your style...and I think you´d love San Andrés. There´s so much breeze coming from all directions that you barely sweat.
I'll have to give that a try someday. But I like mountains. It would be cool if Colombia had more of an extensive "national forest" type of thing with trails and stuff. That's one thing the U.S. got right compared to the rest of the world - the concept of public lands, BLM lands, national forests, networks of trails, etc.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
As for Cartagena to dismiss it just because of the tourists is an attitude I just don't get.
Haha. yeah, I was kinda half joking. But honestly I don't like heat+humidity so that's one of the reasons.
Quote:
If that's your thinking then you'll never experience Venice or the Great Wall of China. You just have to learn to block out the white noice, plenty of authenticity left in Cartagena.
I've been to Venice. It was okay. Not bad. Would be cooler without tourists but oh well. Met someone a couple weeks ago who had lived on a ship in the Caribbean and had loved Cartagena.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
To anyone who has been to both.

Would you say Cartagena is better than Medellin?

Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

Well I can tell you right now that's like comparing apples and oranges. Medellin is a mountain city with a coolish climate. Cartagena is a coastal city with a hot muggy climate.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

Medellin is the nicer of the two. There is a lot more brick in Medellin than in Cartagena and you don’t get a natural beach. In Cartagena you are sure to sweat, whether you are a sweaty person or not. The beaches right out of your beachfront hotel looks on the ugly side, which is not expected of the Caribbean at all. You can take tours to nice beaches, but I doubt you will take one everyday. The two things that Cartagena has over Medellin is a Spanish colonial center, which I think is one of the best in Colombia. The other thing is if you like better to be near blacks and mulattos, which Cartagena had a lot more beautiful by a wide margin. But if we are comparing these two cities, I say Medellin takes the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas