Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find really great (like not just okay ... but amazing) empanada or arepas recipes (the Trinidadian style with corn flour dough and meat in the middle)! Anyone have any suggestions or tips. The ones I have made in the past are okay ... but I want to step it up a notch ( or blow my guests/family away). I want to make a whole bunch at once and freeze them so I do not want to waste my time making something this is just so so. I had some at this food truck in New York in September that were wicked, but I cannot get the dough that good. I am probably over working it. Any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated ( ... if you got a grandmother ... ask her for me .. both mine are gone now and those ladies did not write things down as they cook from memory).

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Maybe I should have put this in the food/ cooking area .... Oh moderator when you get a chance feel free to move it over

Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM

995 posts, read 784,547 times
The best ones I have ever eaten were made by an coworkers wife from Argentina. This is not her recipe but from what I can remember this one looks close.
From Argentina With Love: Mendoza-Style Empanadas--Empanadas Mendocinas

Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 AM

Default Thanks ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
The best ones I have ever eaten were made by an coworkers wife from Argentina. This is not her recipe but from what I can remember this one looks close.
From Argentina With Love: Mendoza-Style Empanadas--Empanadas Mendocinas
Thanks. The recipe is simlar to mine, except I don't like brushing the top with egg. I prefer bakjng them. Less fat, less mess caused by frying, less chance I will get burned by the oil and I hate when the open when trying and the filling slips out. The spices are a lilttle different. I also add rasins, onion and more olives. Interesting. I try this dough out. I always make the dough myself. Sometimes it comes out better then other times.

If I can perfect the dough I can start making really fancy ones with shrimp, cheese and get creative.

Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks. I like the one from panamanian living the best. The seasoning seems more towards my preferences. I never in a million years would have thought of using frozen pie crust or wonton wrappers to make empanadas. My grandmother would be rolling over in her grave saying how lazy could I possibly be to think of not making the dough from scratch lol. I personally don't like the taste of the ready make pie crust stuff... But if I was in a super hurry that would be helpful. I might actually do a few different versions and see what my guests like best.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Looked at a bunch of those recipes and a few others and mixed a few ideas together and came up with these. Corn flour dough (for a really crispy texture) and classic empanada filling (ground beef, onion, garlic, olives, boiled egg and raisin). So basically I mixed ideas from a Trinidadian style Arepa, pastel and empanada and came up with this.

After creating these today I have 3 pieces of advance that in my opinion can turn a run of the mill homemade empanada/ Trinidadian arepa from tasty/ but not pretty looking to something that looks more professionally made.

If possible:

1. Use a tortillas press. You get more uniform shaped dough which not only helps all empanadas/ arepas cook evenly, but helps keep the dough from ripping and letting the filling out.

2. Use molds. I bough them a while ago, but never got around to using them until. Wow!!!! What a difference it made. All the empanadas/ arepas were sealed perfectly, had the same shape and pretty decorative pattern on the edges. Having all the empanada/ arepas the same shape with the dough at the same thickness creates an overall better looking and tasting product.

3. Use a food processor to grind/ chop the meat once cooked. In my opinion it just makes the filling have a better texture. I would do this before adding the raisins or egg.

4. This works best as a group activity with at least 3 or 4 people. Once the dough and filling are prepared this is how I would suggest diving jobs to make this process move a lot faster.

person #1 rolls the dough in to little balls.
person #2 pressing the dough in the tortilla press.
person #3 puts the flattened dough in to the mould, adds the filling and closes the mould to create the shape.
person #4 stacks the finished product in the storage containers neatly in a pattern that will not cause the end product to get damaged.

Mid way a gain a little helper, which actually made a huge difference.
After they were made a got a lot of helping eating them !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas