Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:55 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,736,534 times

Advertisements

What would you suggest offers the best value for vacation spots in South America in 2016? Looking for a mix of city and beach. I was thinking Colombia, but don't want to overlook something else that could be a good option. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 AM

1,001 posts, read 886,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
What would you suggest offers the best value for vacation spots in South America in 2016? Looking for a mix of city and beach. I was thinking Colombia, but don't want to overlook something else that could be a good option. Any ideas?
For beach tourism in South America Brazil, Colombia (and some island in Venezuela) are the nicest so you have to search in these places.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Default Margarita Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
For beach tourism in South America Brazil, Colombia (and some island in Venezuela) are the nicest so you have to search in these places.
I was thinking of going to Margarita Island in Venezuela a few years ago, but ended up choosing somewhere else because the travel reviews that I read at the time were really bad and people kept on suggesting security was really poor even at the resorts. I am never too confident on how much to believe from travel reviews because when someone has a bad experience they are more likely to try and tell the whole world.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,904 times
There are so many wonderful places, it's hard to name just one. The more obvious choice is Rio, of course.

Where have you already been to?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Default Never been that south...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
There are so many wonderful places, it's hard to name just one. The more obvious choice is Rio, of course.

Where have you already been to?

I have never actually been to South America!! I have gotten as far as Panama (in terms of land) and as far as Trinidad ( in terms of water). This year I have a personal objective to go somewhere in that region. I have put it off too long ... and I not getting any younger !

Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,904 times
If you can, try to come for the Olympics.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 AM

1,001 posts, read 886,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was thinking of going to Margarita Island in Venezuela a few years ago, but ended up choosing somewhere else because the travel reviews that I read at the time were really bad and people kept on suggesting security was really poor even at the resorts. I am never too confident on how much to believe from travel reviews because when someone has a bad experience they are more likely to try and tell the whole world.
That’s probably true because Venezuela nowadays has living hard politics and administration problems with chavismo.

I was in Margarita but have never in Colombia so I can’t talk about I will suggest for you beaches destination in Brazil my country that I know very well.

Northeast coast of Brazil is nice and hot whole the year and for my taste the best option is Natal city in Rio Grande do Norte state.

For me Natal area is the best beach destination of Brazil!! It is a middle size capital city so you may know northeast Brazilian culture, culinary, music, and nightlife too, not just beaches resorts complex.

If you want Natal is close Fernando de Noronha a paradise island in Brazil and others destination beaches cities like João Pessoa.

natal beach - Bing images

Home - Natal Tourist Guide

Rio de Janeiro is a option if you want to know the biggest Brazilian beach city and cliché culture international acquaintance.

But if you want to know a Brazilian destination acquaintance just for average south Brazilians, Argentineans and Paulistas FLORIANOPOLIS city in Santa Catarina State is the best option but it is hotter enough just in our summer (your winter or November until March).

florianopolis - Bing images

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/.../florianopolis

Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,737,079 times
klm, Colombia is your best bet. The depreciation of the Colombian Peso has been the most of all 31 most traded currencies in the world. Also you have very cheap flights from North America and cheap flights within the country - depending on how much you can stand budget airlines, you can fly for around $40 Canadian dollars anywhere if booked in advance.

Most of South America that trades in its own currency is affordable but Colombia and Brazil are perhaps the most affordable compared to a year ago. Venezuela is practically a no-go at the moment, honestly. Venezuelans themselves will tell you that.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Default packing ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
klm, Colombia is your best bet. The depreciation of the Colombian Peso has been the most of all 31 most traded currencies in the world. Also you have very cheap flights from North America and cheap flights within the country - depending on how much you can stand budget airlines, you can fly for around $40 Canadian dollars anywhere if booked in advance.

Most of South America that trades in its own currency is affordable but Colombia and Brazil are perhaps the most affordable compared to a year ago. Venezuela is practically a no-go at the moment, honestly. Venezuelans themselves will tell you that.
I should just go ... it has everything I am looking for plus I want an emerald necklace and earings ! ). I don't think I will be able to go to Brazil for the Olympics so I might as well try to go Carnival next year. I have to start working on planning my trip to a Colombia as this year is going by fast,

Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM

102,239 posts, read 108,130,790 times
I notice some people are recommending Colombia. Is Colombia really that safe? For decades it was considered unsafe, and at the very least, a place where it was virtually guaranteed that you'd have your money or passport stolen. And there was the guerrilla war; I'm not sure if that's still an issue or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas