Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 AM

5 posts, read 5,141 times

Advertisements

You have to remember that Cuba is a 3rd world country (not a developing country such as Colombia or Mexico). Poverty is a real thing there. You also have to remember that for the most part they are cutoff from the rest of the world, which means no youtube to look up makeup tutorials, fashion, etc... Things have changed a lot in the last decade, but still not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I would have thought that Cuba was covered with trees producing mangos, papayas, and other tropical fruits. Yet this article claims fruit and fresh produce is expensive. I thought the government doled out that stuff for free. What do they do, sell fruit to other countries for cash?

[url=http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=111097]Cuba: An Overweight Country - Havana Times.org[/url]
The land is own by the gevernment Cubans don't want to work in agriculture because the pay is way low. Cubans do get a ration card, which is not enough to survive on. If you live in a city, it's all about trade. My mom had a huge avocado tree in the backyard and I remember she would trade some of the avocados sor salt, cofee, or cooking oil.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
No more thin people, it's time for the Cuban people to join the rest of the Americas and become mammoth bus-sized creatures who waddle along in shopping centres and who make those tire indentations in KFC drive-thrus.

Congratulations to the Cuban people.
lmao

Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Well at least it means they'll have food

Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
They don't have easy access to nice clothes, makeup, fitness centers, etc. I can imagine that poor women in Colombia and Venezuela don't either. You're not likely to find poor women in beauty contests anyway. They can't afford to participate.
No you won't, unless the girl is very pretty and gets involved with some narco lord.

You can tell the "estrato" (class in Colombia) by the weight, number of plastic surgeries and type of clothes women wear. It takes like 3 seconds to figure it out unless of course the girl is very young and very pretty she might fool people in her school uniform but natural beautiful women not as common as people think.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
I find it ironic how people who want to keep Cuba "pure" are extremely unlikely to live there. But you're free to live like the average Cuban in the United States.
There are things I want Cuba to remain pure like crime and drugs. No I won't live there but it would be kind of sad if drugs and crime infest the island.

I know food is limited there but remember they eat a lot of bad carbs (they are cheap everywhere) so there's already plenty of overweight cubans over there. Cuban women for some reason tend to gain a lot of weight after their 20's.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
There are things I want Cuba to remain pure like crime and drugs. No I won't live there but it would be kind of sad if drugs and crime infest the island.

I know food is limited there but remember they eat a lot of bad carbs (they are cheap everywhere) so there's already plenty of overweight cubans over there. Cuban women for some reason tend to gain a lot of weight after their 20's.
You are right, it seems to be true of the other islands as well.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:11 AM

122 posts, read 113,238 times
Can't compare, most people until certain age are fit. Many middle age people are fit.
Latins arriving in "Misiones" paid by Venezuela do look very strange, scary. When those Latins take up a hotel, they have to close it down because rabies, clap. That was the case of Chateau Miramar.

I was staying once at a hotel that received a "mision" from PR, they did look very strange, destitute, fat kids, fat women, strange. Indigenous people from the continent do look very strange as Cuba has no indigenous population. You don't find the obesity rates of Mexico.

Blacks and mulattoes tend to gain weight in certain areas, but as you need to walk and "pasar trabajo" they keep the right weight while active. Attractive mulattoes or "mulatones" are now the premium export.

Cuban girls are fit and toned in Cuba, but they implode in Miami. I knew a few that were very thin, "flaquitas", and became very fat in Miami in very short time.

In Cuba, people have to walk A LOT, cycle, make queues and fight 24 hours a day to fill your tummy.

Young kids look very healthy and pampered in their uniforms, but old people are a sad view when they have to survive on la libreta and 120 pesos.

Last edited by joachim1000; 05-15-2016 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Lots of over weight Cubans in Miami......

Old 05-15-2016, 02:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sure, but it's still a bid sad. Seeing too many chubbies around, is depressing.
Seems to be a few chubbies in NZ

Adult obesity statistics

The Annual Update of Key Results 2014/15: New Zealand Health Survey found that:

almost one in three adults (aged 15 years and over) were obese (31%)
a further 35% of adults were overweight but not obese
47% of Māori adults were obese
66% of Pacific adults were obese
adults living in the most deprived areas were 1.7 times as likely to be obese as adults living in the least deprived areas*
the adult obesity rate increased from 27% in 2006/07 to 31% in 2014/15

Child obesity statistics

The Annual Update of Key Results 2014/15: New Zealand Health Survey found that:

one in nine children (aged 2–14 years) were obese (11%)
a further 22% were children were overweight but not obese
15% of Māori children were obese
30% of Pacific children were obese
children living in the most deprived areas were five times as likely to be obese as children living in the least deprived areas*
the child obesity rate increased from 8% in 2006/07 to 11% in 2014/15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas