Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Although it's not south america, look how mexico (ironically) treats their Guatemalan illegal immigrants

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
In Brazil the number of immigrants is too small. They are less than a million in a population of 200 million. Very few are Latin Americans.
In fact there are more Brazilians living in the United States, than foreigners of any nationality living in Brazil.

Main immigrants in Brazil are from:

Portugal 277.727
Japan 91.042
Italia 73.126
Spain 59.985
Bolivia 50.240 (There is a amount of illegals too, so the real po. is 3/4 times larger)
Argentina 42.202
China 35.953
Alemanha 29.224
USA 27.953
Uruguai 26.271
Chile 25.561
South Korea 19.341
France 18.011
Paraguay 15.626
Peru 15.459
Lebanon 14.965
UK 9.505
Holland 7.332
Switzerland 6.724
Haiti 6.050
This is just legal immigrants.

Just Sao Paulo metro are has half million of Bolivians, 17,000 Peruvians and 70,000 Paraguayans man!
Some areas of the city is like a New La Paz!

Grande São Paulo pode ter até 500 mil bolivianos | Vida e Cidadania | Gazeta do Povo

Old 05-04-2016, 08:57 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Although it's not south america, look how mexico (ironically) treats their Guatemalan illegal immigrants
A lot of changes will be coming about in Latin America due to the lowering of the fertility rates. Mexico's fertility rate has dropped to 2.2, and the day will come you'll see an aging population in Mexico, like so much of the rest of the world, and when they reach that point, they'll have a lot more respect for the immigrants coming up from Central America.

Bolivia is still one of the bigger baby producers in South America, with a fertility rate of 3.3 or so, while Brazil's, Argentina's and Chile's fall below 2.0. These low fertility rate countries are going to need the immigrants to attend to their aging populations. A big win for Bolivia?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
Even with some exaggeration in the article, we can see cleary that slavory is alive!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:20 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A lot of changes will be coming about in Latin America due to the lowering of the fertility rates. Mexico's fertility rate has dropped to 2.2, and the day will come you'll see an aging population in Mexico, like so much of the rest of the world, and when they reach that point, they'll have a lot more respect for the immigrants coming up from Central America.

Bolivia is still one of the bigger baby producers in South America, with a fertility rate of 3.3 or so, while Brazil's, Argentina's and Chile's fall below 2.0. These low fertility rate countries are going to need the immigrants to attend to their aging populations. A big win for Bolivia?
Unfortunately Bolivians and Peruvian are treated very poorly in countries like Chile and Argentina, there's quite a bit of racism towards them there. I don't know how they are treated in Brazil.

Central Americans are mistreated by authorities and gangs in Mexico (a true travesty, and partly funded by the US), but not by the general population. There are quite a few Central Americans living in northern Mexico, some married to Mexicans. There are also many Mexican people who volunteer time working at soup kitchens for migrants, shelters for migrants, and even for programs trying to get legal rights for children who have traveled alone. I personally know these people.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,105 times
Due to Peru having the fastest growing Economy in Latin America for the past 10 years or so, we are seeing migration from all over the world. As far as SA goes, in Lima, you are seeing many Brazilians,Chileans,Colombians,Argentinians,Venezu elans. Due to Lima's reputation as one of the world's food capitals the Venezuelans have showed up and are opening up Arepa places at an alarming rate.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Actually Peru's receipt of migrants from neighbouring countries is low compared to others in LatAm. Only recently has there been a small migration to Peru from other LatAm countries and its usually limited to Lima and insignificant when you compare it to the movement present outside of Peru.

All the migrants from other LatAm countries added together don't even compare to the amount of Venezuelans currently in Colombia for example.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Due to Peru having the fastest growing Economy in Latin America for the past 10 years or so, we are seeing migration from all over the world. As far as SA goes, in Lima, you are seeing many Brazilians,Chileans,Colombians,Argentinians,Venezu elans. Due to Lima's reputation as one of the world's food capitals the Venezuelans have showed up and are opening up Arepa places at an alarming rate.
Yes in Lima I encountered many areperias and of course many Colombian and Argentinian food places too

After a trip to Peru I admit moving there seems like a really amazing idea

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Unfortunately Bolivians and Peruvian are treated very poorly in countries like Chile and Argentina, there's quite a bit of racism towards them there. I don't know how they are treated in Brazil.

Central Americans are mistreated by authorities and gangs in Mexico (a true travesty, and partly funded by the US), but not by the general population. There are quite a few Central Americans living in northern Mexico, some married to Mexicans. There are also many Mexican people who volunteer time working at soup kitchens for migrants, shelters for migrants, and even for programs trying to get legal rights for children who have traveled alone. I personally know these people.
There's always been prejudice against the more Indian-flavored Latino's, and even in Mexico, the prejudice will never end against their own indigenous population. As they say, in all Latin American countries, the whiter the skin, the further you go!

I'm guessing that the more Indian-flavored Mayan Guatemalans would qualify for more mistreatment, and being that 2/3rds of Bolivians are Indian-flavored, that's a recipe for mistreatment alone.

Lots of prejudice in Peru and Ecuador against their own indigenous population.

When I was visiting Ecuador in 2006, and a tour guide commenting on all the Venezuelans coming into Ecuador to escape Chavez, I asked her: To me, so many Latino's all look alike, how can you tell a Venezuelan from an Ecuadoran?

Answer: The accent gives them away!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I was visiting Ecuador in 2006, and a tour guide commenting on all the Venezuelans coming into Ecuador to escape Chavez, I asked her: To me, so many Latino's all look alike, how can you tell a Venezuelan from an Ecuadoran?
really? how come? native tribes look very different from one place to another. And the "mestizaje" process was different in every place. Sometimes I can even tell if someone is from certain region of my country just by his/her facial features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas