Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Sorry I should explain more by adding that most Canadians watch huge amounts of American forms of media and I would honestly think they would likely watch more American forums of media overall. The stereotypes I am referring to are from shows, movies and commercials which are more often then not American. In Canada in Canadian made shows I don't see these stereotypes put out as much, but in reality the volume of exposure to Ametican media forums is actually much higher then Canadian. I guess it can also vary from household to household, but I still find in general I actually do watch more American made tv shows and movies then Canadian. It is true Latin American people are not very often featured in Canadian tv shows likely due to overall percentages of people from Latin American countries living in Canada. When they are featured in shows from what I see it is in Cultural shows created by that people from thoses language or cultural groups..

True, I agree. Unfortunately a lot of the negative stereotypes people have here about certain minorities come up from the US. Specially about black folks. Despite the fact that the vast majority of black folks living here are from the Caribbean and Africa, I still see people here apply negative stereotypes of african americans to black people here. Also, a lot of people here seem to assume most blacks in the US are from immigrant communities too, when most black Americans are not. I remember riding the bus in Toronto and over hearing some people discussing where snoop dogg was from, Eritrea, Somalia? No no he was Jamaican. LOL. The only black communities here that resemble black communities in the US are certain communities in Southern Ontario and in Nova Scotia, most of these people are actually descendants of people that came up from the US during the 1800s.

Quote:
The city I live in does probably have the largest percentage of Latin American people in Canada living in it.
Actually the city with the highest percentage of Latinos in Canada is Montreal and Windsor, Ontario. Toronto probably has the most in numbers but Latinos make up a higher percentage in these cities.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ok I have these questions.

Why don't they just hire actual Black performers from their countries to portray Black people? Also when they do dress in blackface how do they usually portray the Black person? Are these blackface portrayals diverse or do they use blackface to portray Blacks in only one way? Do they ever dress in blackface to portray a Black person who isn't stereotypical/negative?

Also people wearing white makeup to portray mimes aren't portraying white people I don't think. Mimes have never been viewed as "whiteface" portrayals of white people.
I have seen it in the Philippines when hiring actors to play darker Filipinos, while they use the actual people in extra roles the lead is often a lighter skinned Filipino in black makeup. My theory is since they are on the bottom of local beauty standards they are not encouraged to go into acting so there is a limited talent/celebrity pool to cast shows where darker people are part of the story line. The few who have started to bust through are beginning to get supporting roles but the lead role generally goes to someone in blackface.

It may scream to an American or other westerner but the character in blackface is not of African ancestry.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 AM

839 posts, read 3,071,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
it's not common. I didn't even knew what "blackface" was before reading this thread. that "Soldado Micolta" character must be the only person in the media using that blackface thing in many years in Colombia. I've never watched that show.
The same happened to me when I read this thread. I had no idea what "blackface" was. And over here I can't recall a single instance of this on today's TV. The only thing I remember is back in the 80's there was a comedian who did that but, as AntonioR said, it was meant as comedy and hiring an actual black person to do the role would have beaten the purpose of the show, apart from the fact that there weren't many blacks here at that time. Anyway, that is the only instance of "blackface" I can recall.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
True, I agree. Unfortunately a lot of the negative stereotypes people have here about certain minorities come up from the US. Specially about black folks. Despite the fact that the vast majority of black folks living here are from the Caribbean and Africa, I still see people here apply negative stereotypes of african americans to black people here. Also, a lot of people here seem to assume most blacks in the US are from immigrant communities too, when most black Americans are not. I remember riding the bus in Toronto and over hearing some people discussing where snoop dogg was from, Eritrea, Somalia? No no he was Jamaican. LOL. The only black communities here that resemble black communities in the US are certain communities in Southern Ontario and in Nova Scotia, most of these people are actually descendants of people that came up from the US during the 1800s.

Actually the city with the highest percentage of Latinos in Canada is Montreal and Windsor, Ontario. Toronto probably has the most in numbers but Latinos make up a higher percentage in these cities.
I get going to Montreal ... but why Windsor? What the heck is in Windsor? I live in this province in Canada and can never figure out why people choose to live in certain areas. I need to actually spend some time exploring my own province !

Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I have seen it in the Philippines when hiring actors to play darker Filipinos, while they use the actual people in extra roles the lead is often a lighter skinned Filipino in black makeup. My theory is since they are on the bottom of local beauty standards they are not encouraged to go into acting so there is a limited talent/celebrity pool to cast shows where darker people are part of the story line. The few who have started to bust through are beginning to get supporting roles but the lead role generally goes to someone in blackface.

It may scream to an American or other westerner but the character in blackface is not of African ancestry.
thats because thats what sells..especially the young crowd..but the more serious roles like in action flicks the natives ones are preferred

there is a little bit of contradiction in Filipino culture but they patronize an actor whether he is black mestizo or a native or even a foreigner (Koreans) as long as they see talent.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I get going to Montreal ... but why Windsor? What the heck is in Windsor? I live in this province in Canada and can never figure out why people choose to live in certain areas. I need to actually spend some time exploring my own province !
Work. There must be some industry that has attracted or targeted Latino employees in Windsor. Other cities/towns with surprisingly higher Latino populations are London, Ontario and Brandon, Manitoba. In the case of Brandon it is the food processing plants like Maple leaf that has brought people in. Its not a huge number of Latinos in these places, but noticeably higher than most other places in Canada. Most of these Latinos are Mexican, Salvadorean and Colombian.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:46 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Work. There must be some industry that has attracted or targeted Latino employees in Windsor. Other cities/towns with surprisingly higher Latino populations are London, Ontario and Brandon, Manitoba. In the case of Brandon it is the food processing plants like Maple leaf that has brought people in. Its not a huge number of Latinos in these places, but noticeably higher than most other places in Canada. Most of these Latinos are Mexican, Salvadorean and Colombian.
Yep farming there are a ton of greenhouses in Windsor they get more sun in Windsor.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Latino Canadian population ...

Quote:
London is another city I have no idea about. I wonder in general if the Latin American population in Toronto is going to be dissolving as most people from Latin American countries I knew growing up did not actually get married to other people from Latin American backgrounds. Their kids don't really speak Spanish either. Places like Brampton and Mississauga are tending to have more Latin events and concerts. I actually think this population in Toronto and other parts of Canada as well will be shrinking unless things change as people that born here or came here as kids as assimlating and there just does not seem to be a large amount of immigration from that area of the world compared to other parts of the world.

I can totally see these in concerts I am going to. For example Pitbull with Prince Royce is going to be playing in the Summer. I was thinking this concert would sell out fast as Pitbull alone is really popular and Prince Royce is popular in a lot of other places and the tickets we reasonably priced, but a few days after the ticket sales started the tickets were being sold on groupon at a fraction of the orginal cost. I also see this with artist like Paulina Rubio, Juan Luis Guerra and even Daddy Yankee. These artists sell out at other places, but play at smaller places in Bramptom (just outside of Toronto) that don't get sold out. If anyone is a Latin Music fan and wants to get tickets to shows sold out in other places ... come to Toronto and you will be able to get a ticket easy. They don't come as frequently, but their concerts don't usually sell out fast.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
London is another city I have no idea about. I wonder in general if the Latin American population in Toronto is going to be dissolving as most people from Latin American countries I knew growing up did not actually get married to other people from Latin American backgrounds. Their kids don't really speak Spanish either. Places like Brampton and Mississauga are tending to have more Latin events and concerts. I actually think this population in Toronto and other parts of Canada as well will be shrinking unless things change as people that born here or came here as kids as assimlating and there just does not seem to be a large amount of immigration from that area of the world compared to other parts of the world.

It's possible. I have lived in both Montreal and Toronto and one thing I noticed in Toronto is when I met Latinos they were more likely to speak to me in English. In montreal 98% of the time my interactions with other Latinos was in Spanish.

Quote:
I can totally see these in concerts I am going to. For example Pitbull with Prince Royce is going to be playing in the Summer. I was thinking this concert would sell out fast as Pitbull alone is really popular and Prince Royce is popular in a lot of other places and the tickets we reasonably priced, but a few days after the ticket sales started the tickets were being sold on groupon at a fraction of the orginal cost. I also see this with artist like Paulina Rubio, Juan Luis Guerra and even Daddy Yankee. These artists sell out at other places, but play at smaller places in Bramptom (just outside of Toronto) that don't get sold out. If anyone is a Latin Music fan and wants to get tickets to shows sold out in other places ... come to Toronto and you will be able to get a ticket easy. They don't come as frequently, but their concerts don't usually sell out fast

It's an interesting point. I am surprised pitbull tickets wouldn't sell out fast. Not really into that type of music but still hes a pretty big name. As far as Latin music goes, not really into pop music Spanish or English so I can't comment too much on that, but Im sure some of those artist would sell out in MTL.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
It's possible. I have lived in both Montreal and Toronto and one thing I noticed in Toronto is when I met Latinos they were more likely to speak to me in English. In montreal 98% of the time my interactions with other Latinos was in Spanish.

It's an interesting point. I am surprised pitbull tickets wouldn't sell out fast. Not really into that type of music but still hes a pretty big name. As far as Latin music goes, not really into pop music Spanish or English so I can't comment too much on that, but Im sure some of those artist would sell out in MTL.
My worry is that because these artists can't sell out shows they won't come back to Toronto and that would be a shame. Also if they do come back they end up doing shows in night clubs and for me that makes it harder to go to as coming back home at 2 am on a week night is not going to fly in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas