Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM

451 posts, read 465,153 times

Advertisements

White/Caucasian American. I go into my list of European ancestral homelands when people inquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayiticherie1 View Post
Bon Apre-Medi

I have the same issues as you..I am white Haitian German heritage,my family has been in Haiti for over 100 years

but whenever I tell people I'm Haitian they think I'm lying

its sad really..because there is no country in the Caribbean..let alone many in the world who are pure one race

I identify as White thats what I am..theres probably black somewhere down the line,but I have blonde hair and blue eyes caucasian features

If there was a box on census to say Haitian,I would click Haitian
For me to some extent I always feel like I can exclusively fit in no where and have just learned to roll with it.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:45 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
How do I self-identify...I'm a dude.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:11 AM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Im American of Guyanese descent. I came up and identify with a lot of black culture both in the Caribbean and America.
I do have background of Indian,East Asian,and North African .I recommend people take the ancestry and DNA tests.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I wonder that in USA and Canada these questions about background are so important.
In Brazil nobody will ask you about your ancestry. Sometimes just as a curiosity, due to the surname. For example, I had a mate in the college whose parents were from Guatemala. We wonder about this because it's rare to see guatemalans in Brazil, but for us she is simply brazilian, since she was born here, she lives here, and speaks portuguese as mother language.
Ancestry questions are pretty common in the US. Especially if you are a visible minority or mixed or "unidentifiable" to any ethnic group (again usually mixed people in this scenario also). It's these questions that produce the 25% Dominican, 5% Native American, 10% Irish, etc.

I'm a white person and I almost never get this question. When I do I'll say that I'm Swedish, Italian, and Scottish (I do have ties to other groups in Europe but they are so small in my heritage I don't bring them up, like Dutch). I noticed though Americans are more likely to bring up their ancestral background without being asked about it. But if your family (like mine) has been in the US for more than 200 years does it really matter? I do have some family that came in the early 1900s and some great-grandparents still in Sweden but for the most part they have been here since before the Civil War. I should just start saying American if I get asked again.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 AM

Re ones background and if it matters or it. For me as an adult not so much as I like to explore and learn about other cultures and ideas and I don't have a personality that drives me to want to fix it. As a kid and teenager it was a bit more stressful at times because some people had the tendency to want to exclude you if you did not fit their criteria. I really had to have a thick skin regarding this because if trying to participate in cultural events from the Caribbean those girls where wicked and I needed to be very savvy to earn my respect in the group. When you have got a group of 99% people that look similar and you are the odd one out you really need to prove yourself if you want your voice heard and to be respected.

If we had cultural events I made sure to go above and beyond to surpass everyone in my efforts. I literally sat through planning meetings where just to be wicked the chair of the meeting would say things like and all the black people will bring in food to share that represents Caribbean culture while she was glaring at me the only white person in the room. I choose not to argue, but to knock my efforts out of the park. I brought in 90% of the food for the event and ensured authentic stuff was there. While she brought 1/2 dozen store store bought frozen beef patties and was not even Jamaican. After the white girl saved the day she learn to get off my back and to treat me with more respect.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:59 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Canadian Guatemalan/ central american? The funny thing about that is I find it really hard to identify with other Guatemmalans or central americans I meet here. Many are religious, I am not. Our views on politics are usually very different. I don't like soccer, I don't like talking about work and how much I make. I don't go to church, so all this pretty much leaves me with nothing to talk about with 97% of the Guatemalans or central americans I meet here.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times
I self identify as a white american guy.

The only times when people classfy me by my ethnic subgroup is once or twice when I travel back to my family's home town where people assosciate different ethnic names with different Catholic parishes. Or, when I visited Chicago and a local identified my name as being Polish as opposed to Czech or Ukrainian.

I get the feeling that identity among the various slavic groups is strong in Chicago. If I lived there, I might have a stronger identity with my sub group. But.... I dont live there so I identify as just another white guy.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Default Fitting in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Canadian Guatemalan/ central american? The funny thing about that is I find it really hard to identify with other Guatemmalans or central americans I meet here. Many are religious, I am not. Our views on politics are usually very different. I don't like soccer, I don't like talking about work and how much I make. I don't go to church, so all this pretty much leaves me with nothing to talk about with 97% of the Guatemalans or central americans I meet here.
Re-religion and central Americans.. I actually have found that most of the Central Americans I have know in Canada (except of one crazy Costa Rican who I adore ) are really religious and even more so if they are not Catholic. I went to public school for 1 year and I was shocked about how much more religious some of these kids where ex they actually like going to church and were really in to it. What's up with that?

You don't like soccer... ! I thought that was manditory! Do you at least like baseball?

Not talking about work could be generational. If you are a generation x and gew up in Canada then that generation tends not to value talking about work and values talking about you own life more. I tend not to like to talk about work in a social setting. I stop caring about work once I leave for the day.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-religion and central Americans.. I actually have found that most of the Central Americans I have know in Canada (except of one crazy Costa Rican who I adore ) are really religious and even more so if they are not Catholic. I went to public school for 1 year and I was shocked about how much more religious some of these kids where ex they actually like going to church and were really in to it. What's up with that?
Yeah, many central Americans here in Canada are evangelical, and very conservative. I respect every ones freedom to follow any religion, but I stay far away from it myself. I am pretty much an atheist.

Quote:
You don't like soccer... ! I thought that was manditory! Do you at least like baseball?
I shouldn't have said I don't like soccer, I respect at all sports. I just don't follow soccer and have nothing to say about it really. I love baseball, but that has more to do with playing it in Halifax when I was younger. Waaaaaay back around the last time the bluejays won the world series. I still watch it regularly.

Quote:
Not talking about work could be generational. If you are a generation x and gew up in Canada then that generation tends not to value talking about work and values talking about you own life more. I tend not to like to talk about work in a social setting. I stop caring about work once I leave for the day
Yeah, that is pretty much how I feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas