Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

Colombia is a country that my wife and I are interested in visiting. I know the country is safer than it used to be, but that doesn't tell me all that much. I read that the crime rate, even in Medellin, is lower than cities like Detroit or New Orleans.

Also, what is the general Colombian attitude towards Americans? I honestly couldn't blame them if they hated Americans based on recent history, but is that the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Colombia is the USA's staunchest ally in the region. Even when all the US-hate from practically every other South American nation was going on in the 00's (noughties), Colombia was the pariah defending US interests and free market policies.

Therefore there are very few countries an American would be more welcome than in Colombia.

That being said Colombians are very proud and don't pander to you just because you're from the US but they will be very welcoming, jovial and happy that you paid a visit. A few bad apples may try to rip you off though but that's mainly in the coastal tourist towns which despite that are still well worth a visit.

Medellin is different, a very progressive city with a lot of great towns to explore surrounding the city such as Guatape, Jardin, Jerico, Santa Fe de Antioquia and the great nature reserve with pristine swimmable rivers called Rio Claro.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Sounds fantastic - thanks for the info. I've traveled before, so I'm constantly on guard for shenanigans.

Colombia appears to be a beautiful country with a terrific country. Its great that it is safer to visit now.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Colombia is a country that my wife and I are interested in visiting. I know the country is safer than it used to be, but that doesn't tell me all that much. I read that the crime rate, even in Medellin, is lower than cities like Detroit or New Orleans.

Also, what is the general Colombian attitude towards Americans? I honestly couldn't blame them if they hated Americans based on recent history, but is that the case?
They will treat you well especially in Medellin. They love to see people from other countries. Be cautious. Higher crime is a reality. Robberies are far more common than here in the US. Be very careful when handling money, especially withdrawing money from ATMs. The thieves are always after cash. I always withdraw money inside supermarkets(Exito, Carulla) in upper class areas and get the money out before shopping. I usually have someone watch my back while withdrawing the cash in case someone is watching my steps behind me.

You might hear comments against the US but they won't be against you. Most likely they will call the US government "imperialista" LOL

Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 PM

605 posts, read 669,993 times
Colombians in general are pretty friendly in my experience and don't exhibit any ill will towards American tourists. That being said though there is still a high crime rate so I would take some precautions such as using ATM's in only highly visible and secure areas.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 AM

881 posts, read 923,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Colombia is the USA's staunchest ally in the region. Even when all the US-hate from practically every other South American nation was going on in the 00's (noughties), Colombia was the pariah defending US interests and free market policies.
not really.

there are more free market oriented countries in Latin America, such as Panama, Chile, Peru or even Mexico. Colombia has had many disputes at the WTO with the EU, Panama, Brazil and other countries because of its protectionist economic policies.

this is the attitude of the population towards USA in different countries, according to LatinobarĂ³metro. Colombia is at the middle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
The thieves are always after cash. I always withdraw money inside supermarkets(Exito, Carulla) in upper class areas and get the money out before shopping. I usually have someone watch my back while withdrawing the cash in case someone is watching my steps behind me.
I never do that in the town of 120 k inhabitants I live in. No need for it.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM

620 posts, read 1,073,663 times
Colombians are very warm and welcoming people. There is no major history of conflict ( other than the longest civil war ever with the guerilla ) that would cause anti American feelings. It is a country that is recovering from this era that they all want to forget and move forward.

In the interior mountainous region they are are more conservative and cordial .. near the coastal areas ( santa marta, barranquilla) they are more extrovert and animated... BOTH areas they will be very respectful and a good time.

It is a beautiful country with many different regions and climates. Enjoy the weather, the food , the ambaince and arguably some the of the worlds most beautful women !

Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
not really.

this is the attitude of the population towards USA in different countries, according to LatinobarĂ³metro. Colombia is at the middle:

I think you'll find that I mentioned SOUTH AMERICA practically all the countries in that list above Colombia are in Central America.

And I'm sorry but anti-US sentiment less in Nicaragua and Ecuador than Colombia is utter bull.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Yeah I have a hard time believing Nicaragua would be so pro American. The first map seems more accurate. Its interesting that central American countries are so pro American, and yet with the exception of CR and Panama it is also the poorest and least developed countries of Latin America.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I'm shocked to see Mexico so far down that graph. You would think that with millions of its people living in the USA and being the country that has benefited the most from the US economic booms, that the vast majority of Mexicans would actually be pro-USA.

I'm not shocked with Argentina. If anything, I might say that I'm shocked anti-US sentiment isn't higher. lol

I'm not shocked with Panama, Dominican Republic, and El Salvador.

I wonder where Cuba would fit. With the current opening up and improvements in US-Cuba relations (just this week the first American managed hotel open its door in Havana for the first time since Fidel Castro took over), the average Cuban may be feeling quite pro-USA afterall.

I wonder if in Colombia US sentiment varies by region. A country as regionalistic as Colombia has to have sharp difference with this too. It has to. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas