Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Salsa? Does anyone remember Soca, from the Caribbean? Is that still around, or has it evolved into something else?
Soca is not going anywhere .... Trinidad has a Carnival each year and their local Soca and calypso artists need to pump out new hits for the bands and crowds to have something to Jump up to. Party culture is huge there and a party is our new music .... Would not be acceptable. When I was in Panama a few years ago I noticed they were playing many Spanish remakes of older popular soca and calypso songs at the resort I was staying at !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:29 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,013 times
Just so I understand, when we say SALSA, we are by no means talking about Samba, right?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Just so I understand, when we say SALSA, we are by no means talking about Samba, right?
No Samba is a Brazilian musical genre and dance style. It's what you usually hear when the media talks about Brazil or the Carnival in Rio. Salsa is Cuban. I'm no music expert but to me Samba sounds more African.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartufo1 View Post

As to "Tropical music"..a quite laughable Mexican invention. As Mexicans traditionally love Cuban styles and traditional Cuban music, bolero, danzón, cha cha cha - some that disappeared from Cuba, etc, etc, they don't like (it seems) to call it Cuban music. Mexican also sport some of the best Bolero composers, etc.

Nobody says that Corridos are not Mexican, and there are composers of corridos everywhere.
If someone can come up with a good rhythm or a good song I don't care where it comes from or if the style is from their country. Some Cubans artists are awful too. Look up Willy Chirino, one of the worst artists in human history. LOL

I've always heard some music called tropical. I don't know if Mexicans were the ones who came up with that definition.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default Different ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Different thing. I like samba it is fun. I a not a fan of dances with too many formal step.... I think Samba is just fun to dance too !

Old 07-02-2016, 05:19 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Not a thing of the past but it has definitely lost a lot of ground especially on the production side.

There is one place where Salsa will never die and that's Cali.

In fact Cali and areas of the Pacific coast has seen a surge in a new sub-genre called Salsa Choke which combines Salsa with urban elements...

Salsa Choke

ChocQuibTown

Leka El Poeta

Salsa choke is characterised by it's break on the 4th beat.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM

107 posts, read 107,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
If someone can come up with a good rhythm or a good song I don't care where it comes from or if the style is from their country. Some Cubans artists are awful too. Look up Willy Chirino, one of the worst artists in human history. LOL

I've always heard some music called tropical. I don't know if Mexicans were the ones who came up with that definition.

The first time I heard Tropical Musical was an article about Celia Cruz and Olga Guillot written by some sort of Mexican nationalist media. Sure, they invented that.

Sure, awful Cuban artists. Willy Chirino is some sort of anti-communist troba, directed for a specific target. Songs like The Jinetera and Ya viene llegando are specifically for Cuban markets.

Salsa is basically Cuban music played by a myriad of nationalities.

Are all those new styles "Salsa"? Probably, in a loose way.

There's another possible origin of the word "salsa" in a radio contest back in the 20's.

It's just as Pasodobles, I've heard pasodobles from manu nationalities, boleros....musical genres.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
The first time I heard Tropical Musical was an article about Celia Cruz and Olga Guillot written by some sort of Mexican nationalist media. Sure, they invented that.

Sure, awful Cuban artists. Willy Chirino is some sort of anti-communist troba, directed for a specific target. Songs like The Jinetera and Ya viene llegando are specifically for Cuban markets.
How is this for anti-communist? LOL, This was clearly for the Miami markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcn42m9bmIk

Old 07-02-2016, 12:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:

Salsa is basically Cuban music played by a myriad of nationalities.

Are all those new styles "Salsa"? Probably, in a loose way.

There's another possible origin of the word "salsa" in a radio contest back in the 20's.

It's just as Pasodobles, I've heard pasodobles from manu nationalities, boleros....musical genres.
In Mexico musica tropical is an umbrella term that includes different types of music. It became popular in the 60' and 70's with the popularity of Acapulco/coastal beach culture. It includes cumbia, boleros, Cuban music, but even Honduran music like the classic 'sopa de caracol.' I guess now since the 90's it includes salsa, merengue and bachata.

There's also a style of music called 'tropical' but it sounds more like Peruvian style cumbia and seems to have more Central Americans influence as well.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
Salsa music has been in the doldrums for a very long time now. I remember a lot of Puerto Ricans I knew online, either in forums or sometimes also via email correspondence, declaring it dead even a decade ago. Not to mention articles like this:

Article: The Death of Salsa

I do like some of the salsa choke I've heard, and there are still stray songs that I like (often by veterans), but for me they have become fewer and farther apart.

I think it can difficult for new bands doing something a bit different to find support. I wish Bannakumbi had gotten more attention:

https://myspace.com/junitocrespo1/mu...46811-32713424

The Cuban timba scene remains pretty vibrant, but I have just never clicked with timba. I am more of a Puerto Rican/Colombian/Old school NYC (but not much of its more recent output) salsa lover.

Not going to get into the whole salsa or isn't basically Cuban, argument, but I don't share the view that is. The Puerto Rican contribution in particular is massive, and whatever the notated music may say, I don't hear Cuban music that sounds like most of my favorite Puerto Rican salsa. It's like saying Led Zepplin is just ripping off old blues guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas