Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 528 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

Every time I have a question about... anything, I come here, but this is obviously my first post. I hope it's in the right place! I am trying to find somewhere to settle permanently, and I need some help. First, a little background:

I'm a 27-year-old former college student who left his home state and the University of Texas just a semester short of a Classics degree to run off to Alaska because of a strange dream. After a year there, I joined the Army Reserve as a combat medic and decided to settle in Providence, RI on account of another dream. A year later, I packed my bags and headed for San Dimas, CA, where my cousin lives and where I am currently staying. I am half-heartedly thinking of pursuing an acting career, but I'm also a dedicated gym rat/bodybuilding hobbyist, a former personal trainer, a part-time soldier, a novice student of Zen (apparently) and a small handful of other things.

Long story short, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with myself and who "I" (whatever that means) am. Which means quiet thinking, meditation, some inner child work, blah blah blah... i need to do this before I can figure out what I want to do and settle in. Trouble is, I love travel, the open road, and the feeling that something big is looming for me (it probably isn't). I've been to 35 states and seven countries and I have no desire to stop now. My current plan is to return home to San Antonio, TX, where I will crash with a friend and restock my cash reserves (I'm down to my last $4,600), and see where I will go from there. What I ask of a place are as follows, from most to least important:

1. A beach. I can't swim, but my spirit needs it.
2. Nice, warm, friendly people -- like Alaskans and NOT like Rhode Islanders.
3. Cheap rent.
4. Easy commutes. Although I will have to get a car soon, I don't want to do a lot of driving. This is why RI was great.
5. Good, healthy, robust job market.
6. I'm a Republican-voting libertarian and I don't mix well with the radical feminists and the SJWs. So that'd be kind of hard to stomach after about four minutes.
7. Decent weather. For me, that's about 50-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

My goal is to be free, financially independent, and to continue to have this sense of "becoming"; to have this feeling that something big is just around the corner (even if it isn't). I have no trouble with hard, back-breaking labor and horrid schedules -- I am NOT lazy. What I can't deal with is a routine that ties me up and makes me think about saving up "vacation time"... just typing that makes me queasy.

So far I'm thinking DE, MD, VA, or WA (Seattle). I'm thinking I might wind up in NH or (if I have no choice) RI. The wildcard is Bristol, England. I've been to seven countries and been to about 35 states. Can you guys help me out? What the hell should I do and where should I go? Constructive criticism, advice, tips, etc. would be very helpful and appreciated.

EDIT: I had a dream a few weeks ago about a place called Sioux Falls, SD. I didn't know such a place existed, but I saw it clear as day on a map. I looked it up online and there it was, exactly as I had dreamed. This is making me seriously consider moving there, even though it doesn't fit my criteria. I had a similar dream about a place called Block Island, which I didn't know existed, and that's what prompted my move to RI. I'm guessing most will find this a poor strategy...

Last edited by Steve_Young; 09-06-2016 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 PM

271 posts, read 384,913 times
Not likely your gonna make much of a living outside the US. I would consider around Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas