Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM

417 posts, read 445,568 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about spending January backing in on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. I have already been to Panama, Ecuador, and Peru. How are the prices compared to those countries? Safety? Overall fun?
Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 08:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
The exchange rate from the U.S. dollar to the Colombian peso is very favorable right now. I was just in Colombia about a month ago.

You can have a fun and safe trip along the Caribbean coast of Colombia. From Cartagena to Santa Marta to Parque Tayrona you will have a blast. Colombia has improved its security situation considerably over the past 15 years. Not saying it is Disneyland but as long as you do your research and prepare ahead of time you will have a safe and great time.

I am partial to Lonely Planet which gives great advice related to safety and where to go (for every price point):
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/colombi...cional-tayrona

The only other suggestion I would make is to work on your Spanish. Colombia (depending on where you are) is not like Panama City where you can easily find someone who speaks English.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Cheaper than Peru, or Panama, probably cheaper than Ecuador (definitely better in some ways - it's probably the most traditional country in South America).

Must speak some Spanish

In general Colombian people are very laid back and nice but Cartegena is NOT one of the safer places in Colombia. No Farc but lots of poor people and scammers. Guns around everywhere - even in bars. Male Colombians insult easily. No issue on the buses to Baranquilla and Santa Marta but beware of the vast slums on the outskirts of the cities.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

Must speak some Spanish

In general Colombian people are very laid back and nice but Cartegena is NOT one of the safer places in Colombia. No Farc but lots of poor people and scammers. Guns around everywhere - even in bars. Male Colombians insult easily. No issue on the buses to Baranquilla and Santa Marta but beware of the vast slums on the outskirts of the cities.
Agree on knowing some Spanish. Don't agree that Cartagena is dangerous....as long as the OP sticks to the safe historic city center they will be fine.

As I said before, the key is to research ahead of time and get a good guide book (like Lonely Planet's Colombia guide) and stick to the areas/attractions they suggest and stay out of the areas they say are not safe. Also, Trip Advisor travel forums are also very helpful.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:10 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Agree on knowing some Spanish. Don't agree that Cartagena is dangerous....as long as the OP sticks to the safe historic city center they will be fine.

As I said before, the key is to research ahead of time and get a good guide book (like Lonely Planet's Colombia guide) and stick to the areas/attractions they suggest and stay out of the areas they say are not safe. Also, Trip Advisor travel forums are also very helpful.
Sure the historic district is fine BUT anyone backpacking for a month or more is not going to stick to the historic district - try bus stations, country roads with stops for bathroom breaks, food, problems with the bus, cheap hotels/hostels with possibly shady people.

This has all been done before, there are many professionals in Colombia who are ready to take advantage of the uninitiated foreigner and tourists stand out in Colombia. Better to go in being cautious.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:41 AM

862 posts, read 977,287 times
I watched a episode of "locked up abroad" where this guy wanted to drive his motorcycle to south America,
well it turned out bad for him, as a white American he stuck out, was kidnapped and held for ransom.

I believe there was travel warnings for Columbia, obviously if you fit in with the local population you would be
safer but if you are a gringo I would skip.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:19 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
Why not try Iran or Afghanistan?.........equal chance your family will be getting a call

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM

881 posts, read 924,312 times
Hundreds of thousands of Americanians travel Colombia every year and no one has been kidnapped in years. Dozens of cruise ships packed with Gringos dock in Cartagena every month.

Don't listen to clueless Americanians who haven't actually been there or know about the subject.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
I know this is a completely different city in Colombia, but I was watching this episode of this show called Scam city here is the link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7fMPIks4E

If you have not watched the show before it is basically a guy and his crew travelling to various different cities and exporing the dangerous and scams that are suppose to take place in that city.

I got to admit with all the scams that he investigated and that do happen there I was 100% impressed with one simple observation. In every situation there was always several local people that approached him to warn him about his safety (ex watch your drink... men stepping in to advise him not to buy emeralds for certain people or telling him to avoid a certain area) out of kindness. I have never noticed this behaviour "ex locals regularly going out of their way to look out for a tourist) being that common in any other city featured in this series. To me it showed yes there is problems, but there are still more honest local people then crooks that local people are not shy to look out for someone visiting their country. If you watch the episode you will see without invitation local people continually go out of their way to warn him or help protect him from these supposid scammers throughout the city. To me that actually delivered a pretty positive message and a reminder... no matter where you go it is pretty unlikely most people are out to harm you. Every city has it crooks and good samaritans.

I think even though bad things could happen and people traveling anywhere should always be cautious as when travelling even in vacation spots in your our country tourists are always targets because when travelling people are usually holding more money or certain valuable ( passports, cameras etc) that are pretty easy to resale or sell on the black market.

tone77 seems pretty well travelled and I doubt is going to have that much difficulty in Colombia compared to the other palces he has already been. I also sounds like a really cool trip idea ( as do the other places he appears to have already gone to).

I have not been to Colombia yet ( I am hoping early next year... and I am not back packing) ... but I think more likely then not he should be fine. I have back packed ( more or less) in places like Turkey, Egypt and Morocco and everyone warned me it would be dangerous and not staff. If I listened I would have missed out on amazing experiences. I went.... used common sense and did not have any major problems. Too many people on this forum are absolute buzz kills.

tone77 if you do go ... please share your experience after you get back.

Best wishes.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:07 PM

122 posts, read 131,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Why not try Iran or Afghanistan?.........equal chance your family will be getting a call
I had to laugh at this answer although it is spot on. A concise answer to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas