Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is the best option for Puerto Rico??
Full US statehood (possibly with Virgin Islands, as one state) 24 32.00%
Continued Commonwealth/Territory status 7 9.33%
Independence from the US (but later becoming an autonomous region of Spain) 1 1.33%
Independence from the US (but later uniting with another country, like Dominican Rep. or Cuba) 17 22.67%
Full Independence from the US (with intentions of staying solely independent) 25 33.33%
other 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 AM

184 posts, read 237,116 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico has major economic and social problems, that are getting worse and worse every year. Poverty and Crime is much much higher than any US state. Obviously, Commonwealth status has not worked. A tighter relationship with the US, like statehood, would create a better economy but a vanishing culture. Independence, would preserve a rich culture but about an undecided future.

Me personally, I feel that many Puerto Ricans many not actually want statehood, they just feel dissatisfied with the territory status, and afraid of the uncertainty independence may bring. But I dont think many Puerto Ricans would like the idea of having to give up their culture and identity. Many do got a colonial mindset, and if independence does happen its because of dissatisfaction with the US and no desire to let go of Hispanic identity. I think if independence happens, there would be a 70% chance that they would form another relationship with another country, like annexing itself to Spain as an autonomous region (basically a spanish state), or uniting with another country, particularly Dominican Republic (think Trinidad and Tobago), because of very similar culture, geographic proximity, and having a stronger military & economy than a solely independent Puerto Rico.

So, I'm asking you City-Data users, Puerto Rican, non-PR US citizens, and all other Humans of the world. What do you think is the best option for Puerto Rico and why? Thoughts

Last edited by DarkLoFan; 12-11-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 04:18 PM

595 posts, read 721,740 times
Independence and staying solely independent or full US statehood.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM

368 posts, read 456,434 times
Commonwealth aka colony status dont work at all. Statehood would erode 95% of Puerto Rican culture, the island would feel like the Bronx (filled with heavily americanized "Hispanics", the island will no longer have a valid Caribbean Hispanic culture). So further union with the US is not a good option in my opinion. I dont think Puerto Rico can survive on its own, so forming a union with the Dominican Republic is the best option, as the 2 are cultural twins, with DR having a stronger miltary and economy. Going back with Spain is basically another colony situation.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,447,513 times
Union with DR or Cuba in the 21th century does not make any sense

Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 AM

368 posts, read 456,434 times
I think the best thing Puerto Rico can do is discontinue any association with the US and unite with the Dominican Republic, as you said before it would be similar to what Trinidad and Tobago got going on. You hit the nail on the head with that option.

Puerto Rico would only worsen as a US territory obviously, and as a state its unknown what would happen economically but itll definetly lose most its culture very quickly if it ever becomes a state (Congress determines if they can become a state or not, and i dont think it accept a majority non white/mixed race culturally hispanic and very poor territory as a state, even the blackest state mississippi is majority white and the poorest state is no where near as poor as Puerto Rico, congress would likely never accept anytime soon if ever). Especially with the country getting increasingly racist towards Hispanics, due to racial tension of the Obama/Trump era similar to the 60s and white racists popping out the closet becuz of Trump.

A union with DR is ideal, as it has a stronger military & economy than a independent PR, as well as very similar culture and very close distance.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,134,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Commonwealth aka colony status dont work at all. Statehood would erode 95% of Puerto Rican culture, the island would feel like the Bronx (filled with heavily americanized "Hispanics", the island will no longer have a valid Caribbean Hispanic culture). So further union with the US is not a good option in my opinion. I dont think Puerto Rico can survive on its own, so forming a union with the Dominican Republic is the best option, as the 2 are cultural twins, with DR having a stronger miltary and economy. Going back with Spain is basically another colony situation.
Have you been to Puerto Rico at all since the 1950s? It's already virtually indistinguishable form any heavily Hispanic community on the mainland. Puerto Rico is NOT Mexico, Spain, Cuba or any random foreign country. It's Miami. It's Brentwood, NY. It's West Liberty, Iowa.

Expecting Puerto Rico to become independent would be like expecting Wyoming to become independent. It isn't happening. Time to move on. No amount of racist White trash Trumpkins or posts from people who can't tell the difference between Mexico and Puerto Rico is going to change that.

Lastly, Nuyorican =/= Puerto Rican. Nuyoricans are Dominicans pretending to be Puerto Ricans. 99% of them don't know squat about Puerto Rico or speak a single word of Spanish.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,088,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Have you been to Puerto Rico at all since the 1950s? It's already virtually indistinguishable form any heavily Hispanic community on the mainland. Puerto Rico is NOT Mexico, Spain, Cuba or any random foreign country. It's Miami. It's Brentwood, NY. It's West Liberty, Iowa.

Expecting Puerto Rico to become independent would be like expecting Wyoming to become independent. It isn't happening. Time to move on. No amount of racist White trash Trumpkins or posts from people who can't tell the difference between Mexico and Puerto Rico is going to change that.

Lastly, Nuyorican =/= Puerto Rican. Nuyoricans are Dominicans pretending to be Puerto Ricans. 99% of them don't know squat about Puerto Rico or speak a single word of Spanish.
Nuyoricans are Puerto Ricans raised in the ghettos of NYC. What are you talking about? Is Fat Joe Dominican now?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,094,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Dominicans speak SPANISH. What are you talking about?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,094,214 times
I seriously doubt an independent Puerto Rico would want to unite with the DR. Cuba didn't chose to unite with the DR upon it's independence, and why would Puerto Rico?

Nor would they want to become an autonomous region of Spain. That's ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,108,209 times
The Spain, DR and Cuba options are unrealistic...countries just don't come together like (Cuba one is especially puzzling)...why would PR leave the USA for Spain and conversely why would Spain take on PR?...the Trinidad and Tobago comparison is a different situation altogether...independence sounds attractive but one look at its neighbors and Puerto Ricans should understand that political independence and economic independence are two different things entirely...unless they are ready to take some tough roads, leave independence off the table...I think they are in the best position they could be in, they just need to do a better job of managing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas