Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 PM

408 posts, read 997,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I'm planning a trip to Peru next year.

My main interest is visiting Cusco and Machu Picchu.

I've been researching and have found the cheapest flights to Lima. Seems like I would have to get another flight to Cusco. Then, look for a tour guide to go up to MP.

For anyone who has already visited Machu Picchu, how did you get there? Did you come from Lima, or arrive directly to Cusco? I'm wondering if it is just better to pay extra and fly into Cusco.

Any information or recommendations for a smoother trip would be greatly appreciated.
When I went to Peru six years ago, I stayed in a small town called Urubamba. We went from this town to a nearby train station, and took the train to Macchu Picchu. We stayed one night. We took the train back I believe. We did not do any tours, since we were young college students in group-think that didn't want to spend much money. This route might be an alternative, but I haven't done any research aside from my own memories. Best wishes in your journey.

While at Macchu Picchu, we climbed Huayna Picchu, a rewarding and memorable experience. I recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
When I went to Peru six years ago, I stayed in a small town called Urubamba. We went from this town to a nearby train station, and took the train to Macchu Picchu. We stayed one night. We took the train back I believe. We did not do any tours, since we were young college students in group-think that didn't want to spend much money. This route might be an alternative, but I haven't done any research aside from my own memories. Best wishes in your journey.

While at Macchu Picchu, we climbed Huayna Picchu, a rewarding and memorable experience. I recommend it.
Right and keep in mind that you need to separately reserve in advance to enter the Huayna Picchu area for the day you want to climb and they only allow a certain number per day.

About taking the train from Urubamba, I think this is the only way you can get there unless you hike the Inca Trail, which is not easy.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times
Most people go by plane to Cuzco and by train to Machu Picchu.

Take a look at this:
https://sundaycooks.com/2012/09/03/c...-machu-picchu/

Machu Picchu by Train and Lake Titicaca by Train - PeruRail

Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Most people go by plane to Cuzco and by train to Machu Picchu.

Take a look at this:
[url]https://sundaycooks.com/2012/09/03/como-ir-para-machu-picchu/[/url]

[url=http://www.perurail.com/]Machu Picchu by Train and Lake Titicaca by Train - PeruRail[/url]
Thanks, this is helpful.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Right and keep in mind that you need to separately reserve in advance to enter the Huayna Picchu area for the day you want to climb and they only allow a certain number per day.

About taking the train from Urubamba, I think this is the only way you can get there unless you hike the Inca Trail, which is not easy.
I will have to do more research about Huayna Picchu, thank you.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
I would fly to Cuzco then immediately hire a car to Ollantaytambo. Then you take the train next day to Agua Calientes. You can go to Machu Picchu by taking 30 minutes bus from Aguas Calientes.

I would save Cuzco for last. The altitude sickness can ruin your trip. I currently live at 4500' but I did experience altitude sickness in Cuzco, none in Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.

It is very difficult to get to Cuzco without going through Lima.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
You could take a direct flight to Cusco, but honestly, I would not recommend skipping Lima. Lima has a stunning downtown and I dont kid when I say this, the best restaurants in the world. If I were you, 3 days in Lima and 4 in Cusco. Maybe 2/5, if you really really dont like Lima. There are lots of very cheap flights from Lima to Cusco, look for Peruvian Airlines or Star8 Peru, those are very cheap. When in Lima DO NOT ask a hotel to book a taxi for you, that will come out as at least 20 USDollars, its much cheaper to get a Taxi at an airport, aim to get one for 50 soles or less (about 15 dollars), dont be afraid to walk away if they offer it for too much, many times they knock down the price once they see turning around lol. When in Cusco try to get a taxi for less than 10 soles. The first day in Cusco just relax because the altitude will really knock the air out of you. Try to ask if there are cars to go right to Machu Picchu, the IncaRail trains are a ripoff and require you to take a taxi to a town called Ollantaytambo, its quite confusing. I recommend also getting a bus to climb Machu Picchu, going by foot was insane, it took our group of early 20-somethings nearly TWO HOURS to climb that thing. Also bring sunblock, the sun on top of Machu Picchu feels like an oven, even if youre darker, its still intense. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM

408 posts, read 997,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

Yes, this is true. When I went, we did not reserve a space, but got there in time before the local officials closed further entrance. We were one of the last ones to be let in, and I remember waiting for a bit of time, probably to let those with reservations in. At any rate, it's a good experience to accompany your MP exploration. To be honest, I liked Huayna Picchu more than Macchu Picchu.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:51 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
You could take a direct flight to Cusco, but honestly, I would not recommend skipping Lima. Lima has a stunning downtown and I dont kid when I say this, the best restaurants in the world. If I were you, 3 days in Lima and 4 in Cusco. Maybe 2/5, if you really really dont like Lima. There are lots of very cheap flights from Lima to Cusco, look for Peruvian Airlines or Star8 Peru, those are very cheap. When in Lima DO NOT ask a hotel to book a taxi for you, that will come out as at least 20 USDollars, its much cheaper to get a Taxi at an airport, aim to get one for 50 soles or less (about 15 dollars), dont be afraid to walk away if they offer it for too much, many times they knock down the price once they see turning around lol. When in Cusco try to get a taxi for less than 10 soles. The first day in Cusco just relax because the altitude will really knock the air out of you. Try to ask if there are cars to go right to Machu Picchu, the IncaRail trains are a ripoff and require you to take a taxi to a town called Ollantaytambo, its quite confusing. I recommend also getting a bus to climb Machu Picchu, going by foot was insane, it took our group of early 20-somethings nearly TWO HOURS to climb that thing. Also bring sunblock, the sun on top of Machu Picchu feels like an oven, even if youre darker, its still intense. Good luck!
There is no car to Machu Picchu or Aguas Calientes. The farthest you can go is Ollantaytambo.

There are 2 rail companies Perurail and Incarail. I recommend Perurail.

I would spend 2 days or less in Lima. The city is ugly and overated. Stunning downtown? Give me a break!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Lima is underrated if anything. The restaurants are jaw dropping, for less than 12 dollars you can have a world class dinner. Aji de gallina, suspiro de limeña, causa rellena, chupe de camarones, arroz con mariscos, ceviche, pulpo de olivo, chaufa, jalea, chicharron de pescado, pollo broaster, pastel de acelga, churros con manjarblanco, sushi acevichado, tallarines verdes, anticuchos, ravioles con salsa de huancaina, Lima has all this and more. If you're a foodie or want a culinary adventure, Lima is the place to be

The people in general are incredibly warm for such a big city. The people are arguably the best part, you meet someone and that same day they are inviting you to parties and concerts and pisco. Especially with foreigners, everyone is super friendly and extraverted, I swear you will never see anything like that outside of Lima

Plaza de Armas and the surrounding area is gorgeous. I admit Lima is an ugly city in general, but there are gems of beauty hidden around. Barranco at night is stunning and Puente de los Suspiros at the early morning hours will leave you with more than just a few sighs. And let's not forget the beautiful Costa Verde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas