Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DqrYUnCcE

While my experience living in Chile was positive, this video is pretty true and covers a lot of aspects.

Do not move to South America if you don't speak Spanish FLUENTLY. If you aren't fluent, do not go. If you think you're going because "latinos are so friendly and welcoming", don't go.

Don't go to latin america based on their tourism propaganda.

This video is also a bit overly negative, you can definitely be happy there. I had my life, my routine etc and there are people who really do well. However, you have to be realistic and know what you're getting yourself into.

People are people, no matter your country. You're not going to go to Colombia(or anywhere in south america) and have this "poor but happy" cliche where everyone loves you, wants to learn about your "culture" and be your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DqrYUnCcE

While my experience living in Chile was positive, this video is pretty true and covers a lot of aspects.

Do not move to South America if you don't speak Spanish FLUENTLY. If you aren't fluent, do not go. If you think you're going because "latinos are so friendly and welcoming", don't go.

Don't go to latin america based on their tourism propaganda.

This video is also a bit overly negative, you can definitely be happy there. I had my life, my routine etc and there are people who really do well. However, you have to be realistic and know what you're getting yourself into.

People are people, no matter your country. You're not going to go to Colombia(or anywhere in south america) and have this "poor but happy" cliche where everyone loves you, wants to learn about your "culture" and be your friend.
As stated, the best way to learn a language is to go to the country. You do not need to know to speak Spanish before going to Latin America. If you don't know it, budget some money for classes in Spanish.

Keep in mind Chile is not all of Latin America, and that things vary enormously from country to country, region to region, and on how individual people perceive things. And let's be honest, your own personal resources are a factor.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 AM

10,115 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Chileans have a very peculiar accent. Often times Spanish-speaking non-Chileans have a hard time understanding them, imagine what a non-Spanish speaker goes through with them. Poor thing! LOL

Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
I didn't bother to finish the video. He is speaking to a certain group of people. Not sure why they go to these countries with these assumptions.

Anyway, you don't have to be fluent to move to Latin America but simply be willing to learn.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I didn't bother to finish the video. He is speaking to a certain group of people. Not sure why they go to these countries with these assumptions.

Anyway, you don't have to be fluent to move to Latin America but simply be willing to learn.
Agreed. Most of the Americans I knew who became fluent in Spanish became so by GOING to Latin America. Or ditto any other region, with any other language.

Similarly people come to the US, UK, and other English speaking countries to learn English.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:46 PM

11,058 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Agreed here too. We are learning Spanish merely by total immersion, plus our feeble efforts with online lessons. Watching TV really helps, and I have Spanish subtitles on our Netflix movies. But local speakers are really hard to understand. I can anticipate making my needs known someday, but understanding what the other person says seems impossible.....if only everyone spoke like on TV

Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 AM

Oh i was fluent in spanish and had 0 issues. I cant imagine how id have gotten by without it though. I think people can be very happy in south america, but you see a lot of people here who have rose colored glasses wheb they view it. There are a lot of unrealistic expectations and its good to have at least a little pf reality, even if this is a bit overly negative

Also learning spanish while going to a place is a great idea, but expecting to move and live there is another case.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Oh i was fluent in spanish and had 0 issues. I cant imagine how id have gotten by without it though. I think people can be very happy in south america, but you see a lot of people here who have rose colored glasses wheb they view it. There are a lot of unrealistic expectations and its good to have at least a little pf reality, even if this is a bit overly negative

Also learning spanish while going to a place is a great idea, but expecting to move and live there is another case.
By a lot of people, do you mean yourself?

Unless they are staying in South America or whatever in Latin America illegally, to get a visa requires money, the application, and for the person to have a job, be financially solvent from income in the US, or to have enough money to pay for school in Latin America.

This gets rid of flakes in general, as you certainly do need a plan and MONEY to pull this off.

Then again you gamble, so you may know people who attempted to overstay their visa and otherwise earn money illegally. I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
By a lot of people, do you mean yourself?

Unless they are staying in South America or whatever in Latin America illegally, to get a visa requires money, the application, and for the person to have a job, be financially solvent from income in the US, or to have enough money to pay for school in Latin America.

This gets rid of flakes in general, as you certainly do need a plan and MONEY to pull this off.

Then again you gamble, so you may know people who attempted to overstay their visa and otherwise earn money illegally. I wouldn't recommend that.

No i meant here as in city data. The people who are convinced "insert country here" sucks and people are rude and life is hard so they will go to "insert south american country here" where everyone is happy, wants to be their friend.

I had an extremely positive experience living in Chile, even got a girlfriend who became my wife.

Im merely pointing out certain realities from experience living abroad. What im saying is very true. There is very little English in most parts of Latin america. There are many realities to living in a developing country that you have to keep in mind before deciding to live there and make a move with a larger finacial risk. None of what i say applies to a tourist.

If youre a 50 something year old millionaire living in a small gated community, sure you can avoid most of the hassles because you can pay someone to do whatever you need. I am talking about people without 7 figure net worths though.

Also, poker is legal.. not an illegal way to make money.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 03-13-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
No i meant here as in city data. The people who are convinced "insert country here" sucks and people are rude and life is hard so they will go to "insert south american country here" where everyone is happy, wants to be their friend.

I had an extremely positive experience living in Chile, even got a girlfriend who became my wife.

Im merely pointing out certain realities from experience living abroad. What im saying is very true. There is very little English in most parts of Latin america. There are many realities to living in a developing country that you have to keep in mind before deciding to live there and make a move with a larger finacial risk. None of what i say applies to a tourist.

If youre a 50 something year old millionaire living in a small gated community, sure you can avoid most of the hassles because you can pay someone to do whatever you need. I am talking about people without 7 figure net worths though.

Also, poker is legal.. not an illegal way to make money.
You must be talking to complete idiots. Yes, it's no secret there is little English in much of Latin America. Anyone who actually has the resources to make such a move already knows this.

The person on City Data likely won't go, because they likely won't get a visa and they aren't really making enough money (they are a low level tech) to make such a move really viable.

A person with retirement or otherwise monthly income of say 3k will live very well in Latin America, and if they want to they can certainly by a house.

For work visas, you need a minimum of a bachelor's degree and an advanced degree is probably what you need. Anyone with this level of education is well aware that few people speak English well in much of Latin America.

I've been an exchange student in Latin America (student visa in Paraguay) and I've interviewed for English teaching jobs, and I've visited Latin America.

Anyone with any intelligence checks out a place that they might potentially move to. You know, you visit the place to see if you would even consider staying their long term. Like it more? Okay, so you come up with a source of income to sustain yourself, and you speak to the consulate on what it takes to get whatever kind of visa you're getting.

Realities? You're talking to those with extremely low IQs and quite clearly these people don't travel.

Btw, if you want to stay in any Latin America long term, there's no such thing as a pokerface license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas