Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am agnostic and an opportunist . I can and do cherry pick. It is makes sense that I would tolerate and possible abid by certain bits and pieces. If God and the Devil exist and are playing a match... I will keep score or sell tickets to event. I got my own agenda . I don't make a best following in most situations.

I spend years and years in Catholic school rolling my eyes through lectures and classes given by people that never practice what they preached. If those idiots are getting in to heaven ... I am looking for another venue to hang out .
I am this way too. For example I will be chanting for an hour today for my Buddhist practice, then headed off to celebrate Easter with my family. I'm going to hell! Lol

I loved Catholic School, but I just can't agree with all of the rules and the guilt the church likes to impose on people. The Catholic Church here in the US is obsessed with the abortion issue, they promoted voting for Trump. It just makes me go farther away from the Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
In small towns and villages in Mexico, most definitely.

I got dirty looks for eating meat in a local restaurant on lent Friday when I went to visit my grandparents last month. I am a atheist, so I could care less about it.

There was also some week long local festival where the majority of the townsfolk went to mass every day! My family and I did not do that, and gossip spread fast to the point that some thought we were not Mexican enough or even at all (do not recall having to be a devout Catholic to be Mexican) despite it being the very town where my dad was born.

It also does not help that most of the people who lived and knew my dad over there have either passed on or moved.

The mood was not this bad when I visited Spain during my two month holiday in Europe a few years back. In fact, most Spaniards could careless what the Catholic church says in the streets and even ate meat during lent Friday.

I eat codfish, or codfish with chickpeas - garbanzos con bacalao - not because it's lent Friday, but because it's a tradition, just like most festivities. I'm a Catholic, but I only like the Pomp and the Fast, not the "message" which is idiotic. After all, after 1800 years what are you going to become? a baptist? please. I also like Buddism, a Saint for Catholics.

In Spain, there were towns in which if you did not go to church on Sunday, you could have real problems, that was before 1975. Easter Weeks were a pain, only classical music, etc.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I am this way too. For example I will be chanting for an hour today for my Buddhist practice, then headed off to celebrate Easter with my family. I'm going to hell! Lol

I loved Catholic School, but I just can't agree with all of the rules and the guilt the church likes to impose on people. The Catholic Church here in the US is obsessed with the abortion issue, they promoted voting for Trump. It just makes me go farther away from the Church.
I am not in to any religion..... but open to most parties and events. I skipped on Good Friday ( I dont eat fish). Tgey tried to loor me in saying they were making coconut shrimp lol. I still declined so they made shrimp linguini. My family is funny fest on good friday..... there is nothing religious done. They obstain from meet but eat really expensive elaborate seafood meals and fancy desserts lol. They completely missed the point of the holiday ... sacrifice lol.

I have a few hours to get dressed, wrap Easter gifts and make a dessert. If dont show up for dinner my parents will be furious. The words god or jesus will not be spoken .... but we will have a great meal and exchanged chocolates and candy .

Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
I eat codfish, or codfish with chickpeas - garbanzos con bacalao - not because it's lent Friday, but because it's a tradition, just like most festivities. I'm a Catholic, but I only like the Pomp and the Fast, not the "message" which is idiotic. After all, after 1800 years what are you going to become? a baptist? please. I also like Buddism, a Saint for Catholics.

In Spain, there were towns in which if you did not go to church on Sunday, you could have real problems, that was before 1975. Easter Weeks were a pain, only classical music, etc.
I have this strong gut feeling some of my ancestors were killed by these religious fanatics in Spain or Portugal ......I am extremely nervous around these processions or religious ceremonies ex like Good Friday mass...
I dont get the need to evoke all this mellow dramic fear in people. The situation is just creepy.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Maybe they will accept you as victim for the pyres, a volunteer.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Maybe they will accept you as victim for the pyres, a volunteer.
No thanks

Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I found this in another forum that can't be mentioned here.

It's the burning of Judas in a rural community of La Vega, Dominican Republic this past weekend.

Despite the religious origin of the event, most people attend for social reasons. It becomes a big celebration with plenty of music, alcohol, and other elements of a carnival of sorts. It looks somewhat disorganized, but it is a genuine tradition with only Dominicans participating.

Judas was the disciple that treasoned Jesus Christ, for this reason he is burned year in, year out. lol

I think this Judas know what's waiting for him. Just look at his face, scared to death! lol

In other countries Judas is represented by an actual human being, usually tied to a pole or a cross. I'm glad here is just a doll, especially since they burn the poor thing.

Quote:

Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
More images of the event and of the amount of people along the route.

It seems people had a good time!

Quote:

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Leave it to people from the Caribbean to throw a party under the pretence of it being for religious reasons lol.

Similar to exactly how my family celebrates Christmas and Easter ( religious is 100% an after thought).

Chrisitians are suppose to be turning the other cheeck and not burning their enemies ... but a party is a party !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas