Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 PM

18,160 posts, read 25,397,590 times

Advertisements

My grandmother is from Barlovento, the black capital of Venezuela
The drum music from that region is very popular throughout Venezuela

This are Venezuelans in Miami after watching a game

Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,940,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Any way very small number statistically. I don’t believe with 10% or 20% they don’t have some traits being mostly ‘’Europeans genes regressive’’… what happens is that most people don’t know identify for example a kind of nose or lips ‘’aliens’’ in Europeans IMO.
You don't have to believe that's fine but I know what they look like one specific example is a FB friend of mine I have seen many pictures of both him and his wife, he is 12% West African doesn't look mixed his wife is 20% West African and 5% Amerindian and looks mixed with Native American but not Black. It happens.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,015,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
This is quite true but when Obama and his handlers demanded that they get the black vote then blacks are entitled to ask what should they get in return. I don't think that Obama was as concerned about earning the support of blacks as he was with the LGBT community or with parts of the white population. He definitely set out to woo them in a way that he didn't for blacks. His attitude was that they should be proud of him and shouldn't make demands of him as other voting blocs were entitled to.

In fact the loss of the Midwest by Hillary wouldn't have happened if she received the same black turn out as Obama did. She didn't and she also lost some of the white support that Obama got (Midwest working class white voters are another group that the Democrats tend to take for granted).

Of course the Democrats haven't learned their lesson and still spend more time on transgender bathroom issues than they do with the most loyal bloc of Democratic voters......blacks!

Democrats not named Obama can't afford to court blacks too heavily. Obama was going to get high black turnout no matter what, so that allowed him to pivot towards women, LGBTQ etc.

Outside of big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago etc., the Dems struggle mightily. I live in TX. We have several really large cities with huge minority populations (Dallas, Houston, Austin, El Paso, San Antonio etc.). Democrats win in those cities easily because of the black and Latino turn out. The problem is that the suburban and rural voters in TX are mostly white and they vote overwhelmingly Republican.

TX is almost a microcosm of the nation in this regard. The big cities are moderate/liberal but the burbs and country are pure red. If Dems go harder after the minority vote, it'll help them in places where they're already successful. They need to make some of the red/purple-red states more competitive. If Dems could make a state like TX competitive (which it should be based on demographics), it would force the GOP to work much harder than they do now.

Hillary however, probably wins the election if she courted blacks more than she did. Obama being the first black president couldn't afford to alienate anyone. He had to play it down the middle. If he acted like the black version of Trump, he would have never gotten past Hilary in the primary.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM

1,010 posts, read 895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
I have been following genetic studies and tested myself for already a decade, here in Brazil, and also at Family Tree DNA and on 23andme, besides sharing results and communicating with already over a thousand people, and I have never seen that happening (people from Brazil saying to me they are "white" or anything of that sort).

Has any Brazilian identified to you as "white"? I am almost entirely colonial Brazilian (having just one ancestor who arrived here after our independence, 1/32 non colonial), tracing back to 1500 (the year of the discovery of Brazil), having scored ~95% "European" on 23andme, and I do not identify as "white" nor as a Portuguese descendant, just Brazilian, I repeat: Brazilian. "White", "pardo", "black" are just stupid labels invented by the colonisers and they served them in their exploitation framework.

I remember just one person who opened up somewhat that way, a Brazilian from Rio Grande do Norte, Northeast Brazil, who scored over >90% "european" on 23andme and who said to me he considers himself just "mixed". You also forgot to mention the majority of Brazilians tested on 23andme and on Family Tree DNA tend to score over 80% European, contrary to the misrepresenting stereotypes, and unlike the vast majority of other Latin American nations. By the way, I myself come from a poor background too, from the deep rural interior of Brazil.

As for the genetic composition of Brazil, a 2015 autosomal DNA study, which analysed data from 25 studies in 38 different Brazilian populations found out the country could be described as 62% European, 21% African, and 17% Amerindian. They even displayed the results by region:
Meta-analysis of Brazilian genetic admixture and comparison with other Latin America countries - Rodrigues de Moura - 2015 - American Journal of Human Biology - Wiley Online Library
How can you know if your Portuguese ancestors came in colonial times or after independence only by 23andme?

Is not a Brazilian culture say the race of ourselves think belongs, we are quested about it only in the census, and classified by the army or when apply for the Brazilian ID. But when in USA always we are asked about it so we response.

I think this table is just one ‘’average’’, is the same what say that the Americans are 60% white, 30% Spanish and 10% black. In Brazil it will change person to person and area to area of the country, because here we didn’t have enough time for to be all mixed in a very continental country.

I worked for many years as national sales manager and I followed sales reps. for almost the deepest and all corners of the country excluding the north (Amazonia).

I believe you are full Portuguese blood being from the deep of the country and poor family. Is just see the history, the plantations were African were brought to work where in Brazilian coast, the free and poor Portuguese can’t settle in this area, but in countryside lands.
When I travel by inner northeast states I saw a population 50/50 very different of Salvador, Recife, Fortaleza, Ilhéus.

In the south Brazil and São Paulo the west of these States are where the population are 80% or 90% whites. The history explain again in colonial times these southern lands had small population, only in few colonial coast cities.
The south was colonized with Italians and Germans, when farms for the coffee plantations in west Sao Paulo started be opened the slavery has already over, so they used mainly Italian, Spanish and others Europeans as workforce, 2 millions.
How these areas have only small cities, are rural and don’t have dynamic economies as their capital state, they didn’t attracted northern migrants and didn't colonial people I think there are the most homogenous areas of Brazil.
If these DNA test was did in people there 80% or 90% of them will score equal European yet and we are talking about 50 million people at least. If we go to Salvador they will score 80% African blood, in Manaus Amazonas most people will score more than 50% Amerindian.
Because that I don’t think this table of ‘’average’’ in a big country like Brazil make any sense.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM

225 posts, read 192,813 times
Quote:
How can you know if your Portuguese ancestors came in colonial times or after independence only by 23andme?.
I know it via genealogy not based on 23andme. And I was referring to Brazilians who got tested exchanging messages referring to themselves as "white", "pardo" or whatever. It never happened to me, after a decade seeing results and having contacted already many people. Of course the census asks that kind of question but I was not referring to that. I was referring to people who got tested on 23andme, Family Tree DNA and other DNA testing labs.

Last edited by Joao; 08-17-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I think this table is just one ‘’average’’, is the same what say that the Americans are 60% white, 30% Spanish and 10% black. In Brazil it will change person to person and area to area of the country, because here we didn’t have enough time for to be all mixed in a very continental country
Sure it is a total average for a quite heterogeneous population. And yet it is useful, and quite informative, particularly since Brazil tends to be quite misrepresented.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,088,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Democrats not named Obama can't afford to court blacks too heavily. Obama was going to get high black turnout no matter what, so that allowed him to pivot towards women, LGBTQ etc.

Outside of big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago etc., the Dems struggle mightily. I live in TX. We have several really large cities with huge minority populations (Dallas, Houston, Austin, El Paso, San Antonio etc.). Democrats win in those cities easily because of the black and Latino turn out. The problem is that the suburban and rural voters in TX are mostly white and they vote overwhelmingly Republican.

TX is almost a microcosm of the nation in this regard. The big cities are moderate/liberal but the burbs and country are pure red. If Dems go harder after the minority vote, it'll help them in places where they're already successful. They need to make some of the red/purple-red states more competitive. If Dems could make a state like TX competitive (which it should be based on demographics), it would force the GOP to work much harder than they do now.

Hillary however, probably wins the election if she courted blacks more than she did. Obama being the first black president couldn't afford to alienate anyone. He had to play it down the middle. If he acted like the black version of Trump, he would have never gotten past Hilary in the primary.
If Bernie had won perhaps he would have won the President. White working class voters voted for him (as did I) because he promised things like singlepayer healthcare.

Hillary was going to lose because she was a centrist in a nation that has become extremely polarized.

As for why the Democrats jumped up and down on LGBT issues, it's because they are superficial issues. Letting transgenders use whatever bathroom they want does nothing to stop the marginalization of transgenders in society. Many are kicked out by their parents as teenagers, don't have high school degrees and tend to have the ****tiest jobs if they work at all.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If we go to Salvador they will score 80% African blood, in Manaus Amazonas most people will score more than 50% Amerindian.Because that I don’t think this table of ‘’average’’ in a big country like Brazil make any sense.
According to the averages from autosomal DNA studies, Manaus would be roughly around 40% Native American and 50% European and the rest African. Salvador, 50% African, 40% European and the rest Native American, though some studies suggest Salvador could be 50% European, 40% African and the rest Native American.

Last edited by Joao; 08-17-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM

1,010 posts, read 895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
According to the averages from autosomal DNA studies, Manaus would be roughly around 40% Native American and 50% European and the rest African. Salvador, 50% African, 40% European and the rest Native American, though some studies suggest Salvador could be 50% European, 40% African and the rest Native American.
Do you have the studies of another Brazilian cities?

My eyes weren’t so wrong about Manaus and Salvador.
In Salvador I think most people who look blacks are 80% African and 20% European and people who look white are the opposite, so this average in Salvador make sense.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Do you have the studies of another Brazilian cities? My eyes weren’t so wrong about Manaus and Salvador. In Salvador I think most people who look blacks are 80% African and 20% European and people who look white are the opposite, so this average in Salvador make sense.
There are too many to quote here. I have also been to Manaus and Salvador. Salvador has a very nice atmosphere. And Manaus looks quite distinctive as compared to the coastline of Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas