Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times

Advertisements

Question for the forum - If I have only $50K peso notes when I get off the plane and make a purchase at a store, do stores typically have change? I know this may seem like a silly question, but when I visited Ecuador (about 10 years ago now...) though they use the USD it was fairly difficult to break bills beyond about a $5 bill. I even struggled to get a bank to break down the one $50 bill I somehow came across.

I am thinking of going with a relatively small amount of pesos upon landing into the country, but the exchange only has 50K notes, and I am arriving into Medellin Airport pretty late so not sure how much will be open in the airport.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:41 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Go to ATM in Airport - take out the required pesos. Repeat as often as necessary at local cajero automatico. Problem solved.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:54 PM

321 posts, read 334,035 times
Yes, stores usually have change and prices at the airport tend to be high.

Only time I've struggled to get change was when I was buying at tiendas de barrio or when taking a cab (some drivers don't carry change with them).

Old 08-05-2017, 07:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Depends where you're shopping. 50k notes can be a hassle sometimes.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ......

At ties Colombia I felt I was unconvincing people when using larger bills as I was not usually shopping in higher end stores or spending 1/3 or thr value of the bill. I equated it to playing for an ice cream cone at a ice crean truck with a $100 bill. Most people start off with a certain change float. If you spend $2 and pay with a $100 bill it is a pain in the butt. Re the airport .... we got finger printed when trying to exchange money there so ...that was inconvenient. I alway equate being finger pinted with getting in troubke plus the ink almost meesed up my manicure. The ATM situation sucks as you can only take out small amounts at once and are getting charge big fees by tge local bank plus your international bank each time.

I dont like using big bills even here due to the change issue. Just try your best to use the big bills any time paying bigger stores ex grocery stores.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Thanks for the thoughts!! The exchange I went to only had $50K notes so that's what I'll start with upon arrival. I'm getting in late and just going to the hotel that night so I don't expect I'll spend much first night. I'll use Uber or one of the other apps so no cash needed there.

I can check with the hotel on change in the morning so I don't have large bills floating around. However, these posts let me know the best plan will be try to find change smaller bills from the larger stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas