Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
First off, thanks for this thread and for bringing these three Island Capitals to the fore.

One of my daughters was in La Habana in July; not for pleasure but for work. She was there 4 days. Her experience - while limited - was nonetheless wholesome and fulfilling.

She described the delapidated condition of most buildings surrounding her Habana AB&B. Yet, according to my daughter, the joy and friendliness of the Habaner@s made up for any and all aesthetic deficiencies.

El Viejo San Juan is a Jewel. It's beautiful, walkable, and well preserved. The locals are friendly, welcoming and helpful. This I can state from experience.

There's no reason to seek public transportation here
. Everything is within a short walk. You will see Police presence, but not to an extreme.

Santo Domingo I've yet to explore. But it's on my destinations list.

You might not need public transportation while you are there unfortunately I don't know if buses get that far so if you don't have a car and are relying on public transportation you might have to do a bit of walking. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Santo Domingo interest me the most out of the three.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM

173 posts, read 198,973 times
Thanks again for all the replies. One more to add to the list, that for some reason just registered with me - Panama City. As of now, I'm almost definite for San Juan and Santo Domingo, and it's possible I'll get to visit all 3 within the next 12 months, but I can foresee Havana being prohibitive due to restrictions coming from the US. If that turns out to be the case, I'm considering visiting Panama City instead, which seems very accessible. Compared with the other 3 cities, it appears similarly sized, but also fairly unique. For those who might be able to answer, how does it compare in terms of culture, vibrancy and nightlife, essentially the things asked about in the initial post?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:22 PM

173 posts, read 198,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I personally think Panama as a whole, not just its capital city, has more affinity with the Spanish Caribbean than it does with the rest of Central America.
Thanks again for your take on that. What do you (or anyone else who can chime in) think of Casco Viejo (Panama City) compared to the older areas of the other places, such as Old San Juan?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:35 AM

505 posts, read 393,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Thanks again for all the replies. One more to add to the list, that for some reason just registered with me - Panama City. As of now, I'm almost definite for San Juan and Santo Domingo, and it's possible I'll get to visit all 3 within the next 12 months, but I can foresee Havana being prohibitive due to restrictions coming from the US. If that turns out to be the case, I'm considering visiting Panama City instead, which seems very accessible. Compared with the other 3 cities, it appears similarly sized, but also fairly unique. For those who might be able to answer, how does it compare in terms of culture, vibrancy and nightlife, essentially the things asked about in the initial post?
Not comparable.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:25 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Thanks again for your take on that. What do you (or anyone else who can chime in) think of Casco Viejo (Panama City) compared to the older areas of the other places, such as Old San Juan?
Casco Viejo is nice and getting nicer. If you are looking for the largest number of points of interest and not just random buildings with Spanish colonial architecture, Casco Viejo will disappoint. In that sense its similar to Old San Juan, very beautiful but the number of actual major points of interests is only a handful. Unlike Old San Juan, Casco Viejo doesn't have a massive and impressive fortress.

Old Havana takes the cake when it comes to the number of major points of interests with Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone coming a distant second place. Old Havana and Colonial Santo Domingo aren't as nicely kept as Old San Juan and increasingly Casco Viejo, but they are both going through extensive renovations. Parts of Colonial Santo Domingo already look amazing. Colonial Santo Domingo has quite a few major points of interest, but the one thing it beats all the others is in the number of The America's first of most things (the first university of the Western Hemisphere, the first hospital, first monastery, first commercial street, first house with two floors, the first cathedral of the New World, etc.)

If you're much more interested in good photo opportunities, they all offer more than enough charm for that.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:36 PM

Nice video tours of the colonial core of each city.

Old San Juan (the actual drive in the colonial quarter starts at about 6:42)

Colonial Santo Domingo

Casco Viejo Panama City

La Habana Vieja (Old Havana)

Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 AM

505 posts, read 393,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Casco Viejo is nice and getting nicer. If you are looking for the largest number of points of interest and not just random buildings with Spanish colonial architecture, Casco Viejo will disappoint. In that sense its similar to Old San Juan, very beautiful but the number of actual major points of interests is only a handful. Unlike Old San Juan, Casco Viejo doesn't have a massive and impressive fortress.

Old Havana takes the cake when it comes to the number of major points of interests with Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone coming a distant second place. Old Havana and Colonial Santo Domingo aren't as nicely kept as Old San Juan and increasingly Casco Viejo, but they are both going through extensive renovations. Parts of Colonial Santo Domingo already look amazing. Colonial Santo Domingo has quite a few major points of interest, but the one thing it beats all the others is in the number of The America's first of most things (the first university of the Western Hemisphere, the first hospital, first monastery, first commercial street, first house with two floors, the first cathedral of the New World, etc.)

If you're much more interested in good photo opportunities, they all offer more than enough charm for that.

Not comparable, as Habana Vieja is 10 times larger...even though only a small section is restored. Centro Habana is also very interesting and old.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
stupid question - how are you gonna fly to Cuba legally for a vacation trip?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
stupid question - how are you gonna fly to Cuba legally for a vacation trip?
I'm not sure if Trump undid what Obama softened, but its now easier to fly to Cuba from the USA. Due to this a few American airliners now fly direct from USA to several Cuban cities.

The old way is still a possibility. That is flying to Mexico City or Santo Domingo or Nassau (Bahamas) and then take any of the direct flights to Havana. Once in Cuba you would ask the immigration official to not stamp your American passport and he will give you a white sheet, stamp it, and you must keep it in your passport for when you leave. When your trip is over, Homeland Security Official will only see the entry/exit stamps of either Mexico or Dominican Republic or The Bahamas. Cuba is nowhere to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas