Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sao Paolo or Mexico City
Sao Paolo 13 34.21%
Mexico City 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times

Advertisements

I think this poll is meant for tourists' point of view only. As I live in SP my opinion tend to be a little biased.

But, putting myself in the shoes of a foreigner i guess it goes like this:

Airport Infrastructure: CDMX > SP
Hotels: CDMX = SP
History: CDMX > SP
Arts: SP > CDMX
Local Food: CDMX > SP
General Food (other countries flavors included): SP > CDMX
Walkability: CDMX > SP (CDMX is pretty much flat, SP is a hilly city)

Metro systems: CDMX > SP (CDMX is larger)
Pollution control: SP > CDMX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 02:19 AM

35 posts, read 23,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
In regard to natural beauty, that is very much subjective and I could see where someone who prefers a greener landscape, closer proximity to the beach and still a decent share of topography nearby would take S.P. here.
Is Sao Paulo really that close to the coast/beach though?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunten View Post

Less than one hour-drive when traffic allows it (70km).

Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I've never been to Mexico City, let alone live there.

I did live in Sao Paulo for six months, granted it was 20 years ago, but I loved it, and fell in love with the country as a result of it. It always had crime problems, not sure if it is significantly worse now, or just status-quo.

As far as cities go, I've always heard a lot of great things about Mexico City, and I'd love to live in a city where Mexican food was my staple meal.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Which of these 2 cities offers a car free lifestyle (i.e. denser and more walkable neighborhoods)?

My understanding is that São Paulo has a higher population density, but Mexico City has a larger subway system.

So which of these 2 cities would one be able to go about accomplishing most errands or commute to work without a car?
Anywhere in Latin America. In general, the poverty lives out on outskirts, and the insides of cities is where all the money is at. Poverty/wealth is inversed with Latin American cities.

I used to live in Sao Paulo, and I had to commute to different companies where I'd teach them English for an hour. I walked to a metro and got pretty much everywhere else by metro, with the occasional bus requirement thrown in.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunten View Post
Sao Paulo is almost a beach city! Pretty normal for paulistas go to the beach in the morning, stay all the day there, and back home in the end of the day.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Which of these 2 cities offers a car free lifestyle (i.e. denser and more walkable neighborhoods)?

My understanding is that São Paulo has a higher population density, but Mexico City has a larger subway system.

So which of these 2 cities would one be able to go about accomplishing most errands or commute to work without a car?
São Paulo definitely.

Most people in Sao Paulo don’t use the car to go work or moving around the city.
São Paulo doesn’t depends only of the subway system, São Paulo has a trains metropolitan system that is much bigger than the subway system and both are connected so is easier commutte from suburbs and neighborn cities to inner city by rail and São Paulo metropolitan area is very well covered by the trains.

São Paulo is more alike Paris being the worker population most transported by railways. 8 millions people use this system daily in a city of 21 millions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_São_Paulo

https://saopaulomap360.com/sao-paulo...p#.W_L9_ntFy1s

Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
São Paulo definitely.

Most people in Sao Paulo don’t use the car to go work or moving around the city.
São Paulo doesn’t depends only of the subway system, São Paulo has a trains metropolitan system that is much bigger than the subway system and both are connected so is easier commutte from suburbs and neighborn cities to inner city by rail and São Paulo metropolitan area is very well covered by the trains.

São Paulo is more alike Paris being the worker population most transported by railways. 8 millions people use this system daily in a city of 21 millions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_São_Paulo

https://saopaulomap360.com/sao-paulo...p#.W_L9_ntFy1s

Just to correct some misleads on your comment:

- Prevailant transport system in the city is bus, as showed on a poll earlier this year:

Bus: 43%
Car: 24%
Metro: 12%
On Foot: 7%
App (Uber, 99 taxis, etc.): 5%
Bicycle: 2%

- When talking about rail transportation it fits better to refer to them as a "metro(politan) system" rather than subway or train. Both provide the same kind of service, and share same fare costs.

- And São Paulo is far behind Paris when it comes to efficient commuting system...for instance, while it's hard to find distances in downtown Paris beyond 500 meters unserved by metro here in SP you have big chunks of city with distances up to 2 km from nearest station.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Just to correct some misleads on your comment:

- Prevailant transport system in the city is bus, as showed on a poll earlier this year:

Bus: 43%
Car: 24%
Metro: 12%
On Foot: 7%
App (Uber, 99 taxis, etc.): 5%
Bicycle: 2%

- When talking about rail transportation it fits better to refer to them as a "metro(politan) system" rather than subway or train. Both provide the same kind of service, and share same fare costs.

- And São Paulo is far behind Paris when it comes to efficient commuting system...for instance, while it's hard to find distances in downtown Paris beyond 500 meters unserved by metro here in SP you have big chunks of city with distances up to 2 km from nearest station.
Pay attention what I wrote... I am talking about metropolitan São Paulo, not just the city, how is saying in your link. People from suburbs of São Paulo get into inner city most by the rail metropolitan systen... Because that 8 millions people use the trains and subway system everyday.

When I compared with Paris is not about subway in downtown but the workers / studants from suburbs getting the city most by trains what is not common in cities of all countries in the Americans

Old 11-24-2018, 01:48 PM

804 posts, read 544,946 times
Haven't seen one good girl from Mexico city in years. I have seen investors from Mexico. I mean the kind who have high amount of money and invest in big things like clubs, restaurants, and fashion/jewelery accessories. That being said I would prefer Sao Paolo.

You have to be a weak person to be kidnapped that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas