Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:33 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of family in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. They are from the Caribbean and have lived through many hurricanes.... but I hope they got out. They seemed still at home 48 hours ago.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This Brazilian videotaped the preparations in her home island of Saint Martin on Sept 5, the day before the storm arrived. She hasn't posted a new video since then, hope she and her husband are ok.

Anyway, notice how choppy the lake looked (she said she had never seen it like that) and how windy it was even before it got truly cloudy from the storm. It also caught my attention that she and her husband didn't cover their windows with wood panels and, while serious, I found it comical about the towels she put by the window to prevent flooding. Something tells me that their apartment became a huge mess during the storm.

The video is in Portuguese, but she physically show the preparations and even goes outside a few times. Due to that, it's easier to follow along with what she says even if you don't understand Portuguese.

I found her instagram account. She lost everything except her life, her husband's life, and the few things they took to the shelter.

I can't imagine finding myself in a situation like that. You spend so many years, effort, and dedication to making a place feel as a home, your own personal castle, you refuge. So much time and effort, and at the blink of an eye its all gone. Unbelievable!

She posted photos of her apartment.

https://www.instagram.com/lorraynemavromatis

Its weird how I feel so bad for someone I haven't met and until yesterday didn't know existed.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I found her instagram account. She lost everything except her life, her husband's life, and the few things they took to the shelter.

My family left Miami Beach and are just outside the evacuation area in one of my cousin's homes riding it out. Hoping for the best.

I can't imagine finding myself in a situation like that. You spend so many years, effort, and dedication to making a place feel as a home, your own personal castle, you refuge. So much time and effort, and at the blink of an eye its all gone. Unbelievable!

She posted photos of her apartment.

https://www.instagram.com/lorraynemavromatis

Its weird how I feel so bad for someone I haven't met and until yesterday didn't know existed.
They are alive. They came out on top. Things come and go. It sucks..... but it could be a lot worse. To be honest I think these guys will be okay. They seem smart and resourceful. I am more scared for people that already close to poverty and have no one to help them.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:47 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Irma is already felt in parts of Florida.

Live at Clearwater. Its still calm, but the eye of the hurricane is going to make a beeline for this town. Tomorrow and into Monday this same live view is going to be much different.

Live at West Palm Beach

Live at Davenport (near Orlando.) This area is also going to see deteriorating conditions.

Live at Key West. Here the storm is already very strong and the eye hasn't left Cuba yet, so it will only get worse!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Reports are that there is violence especially on the French side. People fighting for supplies along with looting. There have long been underlying tensions between the English speaking locals and the French speaking migrant workers (from France and Guadeloupe). This being due to allegations of language discrimination against the local population by the French authorities.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
It's going to take time to recover. St. Thomas and St. John have been declared disaster areas, with around 75 80 percent of the islands damaged or destroyed. Barbuda and Tortola were hit even harder.

I'm just glad to be alive. Tonight I'm staying in one of the few areas with power thanks to a friend. But most of us are without power, running water etc. So many lost everything. But we will rebuild...

Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It's going to take time to recover. St. Thomas and St. John have been declared disaster areas, with around 75 80 percent of the islands damaged or destroyed. Barbuda and Tortola were hit even harder.

I'm just glad to be alive. Tonight I'm staying in one of the few areas with power thanks to a friend. But most of us are without power, running water etc. So many lost everything. But we will rebuild...
Glad to hear you are physically okay...which island are you on?

Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Glad to hear you are physically okay...which island are you on?
Thank you...on St. Thomas.

Cuomo: Irma's damage to Virgin Islands 'much worse' than in U.S. - NY Daily News

Old 09-19-2017, 03:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Prayers for you and yours as the island about to get hit again by Maria...I don't even know the full story of what happened in Dominica yesterday but I know its horrific...rough, rough time for the Caribbean islands

Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Prayers for you and yours as the island about to get hit again by Maria...I don't even know the full story of what happened in Dominica yesterday but I know its horrific...rough, rough time for the Caribbean islands
Thank you. Now all of the US Virgin Islands have been devastated by hurricanes in one season.

Dominica got hit very badly. Then St. Croix and then Puerto Rico. Now its in Tutks and Caicos, which was already hit by Irma. This season has been terrible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas