Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,377,454 times

Advertisements

To those who have been to Jamaica. Exactly how widespread is the use of marijuana there? I've been under the impression that as soon as you step off a plane you'll be smelling marijuana smoke in the air down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 03:03 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who have been to Jamaica. Exactly how widespread is the use of marijuana there? I've been under the impression that as soon as you step off a plane you'll be smelling marijuana smoke in the air down there.
It's certainly around. It's part of some of their culture. There is certainly a growing industry of cannabis tourism that is blooming, or, budding rather.

If you go and stay on the resort though, you're less likely to encounter it. . .unless you ask, then it will be there.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,188,615 times
Well, it's not like that. Jamaica is actually quite conservative. Up until recently, marijuana use was illegal but recently the laws were relaxed. You are now permitted to have a small, personal amount. Anything beyond that and you run into issues.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,103,937 times
Pretty widespread but not as much in your face as you might think from the stereotype...but probably more in your face than you are used to

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,377,454 times
Other than smoking it. I bet they've developed various medicinal uses for marijuana in Jamaica.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM

881 posts, read 925,375 times
See: Interactive Map

it's pretty interesting.

For Jamaica it gives an estimated cannabis use of 7,21% (annual prevalence, 2010).

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,734,319 times
Jamaica is a country known for common use of herbal stuff.... they got a herb or root that you can eat, smoke drink to solve every issue known to man. This is very common there to my understanding from speaking to my Jamaica friend.

If we are talking in terms on how many people in Jamaica smoke pot on a daily basis ... no clue. I am feeling not that many wake up each morning and have a cup of coffee and joint before starting their day. I really think it is comparable to major cities like my own. There are a pocket of people who are regular users and pockets that are casual users... but the average person is aware it is around but not really that interested in using it. But that is just my opinion based speaking with co-workers and friends that are Jamaican.

I have been told it has some role in the Rastafari Religion too... but I know loads of Jamaicans and very few that practice the Rastafari Religion. I literally have only meet 2 ever and one was actually Trinidadian and a friend of my cousin.

Also want to add... YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE in Jamaica lol! They are not locking you up in a 5 star resort lol! I knew a few Trinidadian/American men that went there a few years ago and got accused of being involved in some credit card fraud and got locked up for months and it was a huge drama over something stupid. The legal system does not rush in the Caribbean for anyone. So if you think as a tourist you can just casually start doing drugs openly there .... best be really careful. Not a place you want go to jail in ( the jail is certainly not all inclusive and there is no pool )!

Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM

308 posts, read 237,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Jamaica is a country known for common use of herbal stuff.... they got a herb or root that you can eat, smoke drink to solve every issue known to man. This is very common there to my understanding from speaking to my Jamaica friend.

If we are talking in terms on how many people in Jamaica smoke pot on a daily basis ... no clue. I am feeling not that many wake up each morning and have a cup of coffee and joint before starting their day. I really think it is comparable to major cities like my own. There are a pocket of people who are regular users and pockets that are casual users... but the average person is aware it is around but not really that interested in using it. But that is just my opinion based speaking with co-workers and friends that are Jamaican.

I have been told it has some role in the Rastafari Religion too... but I know loads of Jamaicans and very few that practice the Rastafari Religion. I literally have only meet 2 ever and one was actually Trinidadian and a friend of my cousin.

Also want to add... YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE in Jamaica lol! They are not locking you up in a 5 star resort lol! I knew a few Trinidadian/American men that went there a few years ago and got accused of being involved in some credit card fraud and got locked up for months and it was a huge drama over something stupid. The legal system does not rush in the Caribbean for anyone. So if you think as a tourist you can just casually start doing drugs openly there .... best be really careful. Not a place you want go to jail in ( the jail is certainly not all inclusive and there is no pool )!
Apparently theres verses in the bible that Rastas claim refer to cannabis.As a religion much of their beliefs come from the bible,especially the book of Revelations.

There are Rastas in Britain but most of them just adopt the style and dont practice half the beliefs. At one time a lot of criminals adopted the style.You dont see Rastas so often now but theyre certainly about.

Ive seen a programme on Jamaican jails,and i wouldnt fancy that for an extended holiday

Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

Always so scared. False equivalency between credit card fraud and open pot use. Anyone using normal precautions can purchase and use pot in Jamaica with ease.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,734,319 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Always so scared. False equivalency between credit card fraud and open pot use. Anyone using normal precautions can purchase and use pot in Jamaica with ease.
I know they are different issues ... but I think especially when travelling you need to be even more respectful of the local laws.

In some places you need to fear the police even more then criminals and unless you have connections better to just avoid drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas