Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
When most people talk about "The West" or Western culture they tend to think about Western Europe USA and Canada, you could also probably include Australia and New Zealand to. I've often wondered whether or not Latin America truly classifies as the west. Obviously geographically and historically it is, but culturally it just seems quite distinct.
I 100% don't consider Mexico, Centreal America, South America or the Caribbean part of the "West". They may share some of the attributes of "Western" countries but don't have the weath and political stabilty to fall in to that grouping yet. This may be improving in parts of certain countries ..... but they have not made it there yet. That being said a few countries in Europe that can never get their economies together should be kick out of the concept of the "Western" as well. There are a few countries that don't belong but seem to slip in just do to geography.

The grouping of Western countries in generally is usually associated with countries that are ...
-more liberal politically and sexually
-more average wealth
- more secular
Before I get told ... I did not say that was the definition ... I am saying these are common atributes associated with the term in popular culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 03:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I 100% don't consider Mexico, Centreal America, South America or the Caribbean part of the "West". They may share some of the attributes of "Western" countries but don't have the weath and political stabilty to fall in to that grouping yet. This may be improving in parts of certain countries ..... but they have not made it there yet. That being said a few countries in Europe that can never get their economies together should be kick out of the concept of the "Western" as well. There are a few countries that don't belong but seem to slip in just do to geography.

The grouping of Western countries in generally is usually associated with countries that are ...
-more average wealth
- more secular
Before I get told ... I did not say that was the definition ... I am saying these are common atributes associated with the term in popular culture
Roy Moore, a rapist of children, may get elected Senator. Trump is also an accused sex offender and likely senile. His first national security advisor was fired after 29 days and has now been criminal charged. No new legislation has been passed in the US for a year. Currently the US is not politically stable. And if you think under the current Congress and President the US is liberal you are sadly mistaken.

You actually have more liberal attitudes in parts of South America than you do in the US these days.

People tend to disparage Latin America or other so called third world countries (third world is actually offensive) due to racist and outdated considerations.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 AM

Read the list of cities with the highest homeless populations in the world.

25 Cities With Extremely High Homeless Populations

So many of them are in Western countries and most are in the United States.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 AM

37 posts, read 29,584 times
Of course.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Roy Moore, a rapist of children, may get elected Senator. Trump is also an accused sex offender and likely senile. His first national security advisor was fired after 29 days and has now been criminal charged. No new legislation has been passed in the US for a year. Currently the US is not politically stable. And if you think under the current Congress and President the US is liberal you are sadly mistaken.

You actually have more liberal attitudes in parts of South America than you do in the US these days.

People tend to disparage Latin America or other so called third world countries (third world is actually offensive) due to racist and outdated considerations.
There is off topic then there is OFF TOPIC. You win the 'EXTREME OFF TOPIC' award for taking a non-partisan topic and trying to insert a political agenda to such an extent that I wonder if you are even responding to the right thread.

For you - there's the P&C forum.
You should stay there.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Parts of Latin America that have strong European colonial influences, that is virtually all urban areas and the majority of rural areas, are certainly Western. I would say that the few areas where indigenous culture is dominant, like some rural Andean and Amazonian areas, are obviously not.

Then there are some more ambiguous areas like cities with a very strong indigenous cultural component which I would considered more Westernized than Western.
This. Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"the West" probably means nothing, just ast "the East".
That is just a broad geographical distinction. Specifically, it's something like to say "east-west of Greenwich meridian"

That's why i think that the correct term is "western world", wich brings together all the countries were Western culture is prominent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

-more average wealth
- more secular
So, you're basically describing what is called the developed world (an that's just the big picture, because in the real world, not everything is as it seems, like the US being truly secular or liberal). So it doesn't make sense to use another term to describe exactly the same thing.
No. In any case, Latin America and the Anglosphere are two (actually, the main ones) subgroups WITHIN the western world.

Start to realize that we live in the 21th century. So, "popular culture" should be an universal definition, NOT an exclusively anglo perspective

Last edited by marlaver; 12-02-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is off topic then there is OFF TOPIC. You win the 'EXTREME OFF TOPIC' award for taking a non-partisan topic and trying to insert a political agenda to such an extent that I wonder if you are even responding to the right thread.

For you - there's the P&C forum.
You should stay there.
It's very much on topic. The US is extremely politically unstable at the moment, so one cannot exclude Latin American nations from the West using political stability as a metric.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Default .........

Quote:

Very good points. I am going to be honest ..... most of the outside world does not remember about the redneck.... small town .....under developed ....psycho religious parts of the USA that are a big part of the USA as it was never the larger public image of the USA. New York..... Texas..... California..... Florida..... Nevada and maybe a few other cities across the USA are the places people mainly get their impressions of the USA from. That is why when people like me .... liberal.... feminist .... higher middle class income... urban ... realized Trump won the election it was horrific because it symbolized that all the bad aspects of the USA were stronger then we thought..... and that progress could actual be undone.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
It's very much on topic. The US is extremely politically unstable at the moment, so one cannot exclude Latin American nations from the West using political stability as a metric.
Oh my God! The topic is "Is Latin America considered The West"
The topic is NOT Roy Moore
The topic is NOT Trump
The topic is NOT the US presidential election
The topic is NOT the US National Security Advisor
The topic is NOT "25 cities with top homeless population"
The topic is NOT about accused sex offendors

But there are plenty of threads in the P&C forum that are about the above topics. Go and post there and knock yourself out!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default The Philippines & Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What in your opinion is Western Europe? Basically you're just describing the anglosphere which some people consider the Wrstern world.

The Philippines mostly speak Spanish and English, the Latin alphabet is predominant, Christianity is the dominant religion and they have a republic/democracy for a government. Some Filipinos have ancestry from Spain as well. I'd argue the Philippines is Western.

My almanac says of the Philippines - Languages: Pilipino (based on Tagalog) & English - both official.

The Philippines fought for independence - from Spain, from the US, from Japan, & then transitioned to independence from the US.

Spain - Yah, Spain began conquering the islands in 1564CE, & lasted there until 1898 - the Spanish American War. Which explains the 83% Roman Catholic religious adherence there, versus 9% Protestant. There was considerable Spanish influence, but Spain didn't typically send families & colonists to its outposts, & Manila was the key transit point for Spanish trade between Mexico & the Far East.

Is the Philippines Western? I'd say that the urban centers & more developed islands - with comms & road nets, railroads, airports, ports & harbors, sewage, trash & power systems, water & water treatment, school systems & Catholicism, etc. are Western. But the deeply rural & jungle/mountain/swamp areas may be functioning @ a subsistence level, & thus not Western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas