Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:33 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Interesting that Latin America itself seems pro-life but most Mexicans, Dominicans, etc living in the US vote for the Democrats who promote abortion......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Interesting that Latin America itself seems pro-life but most Mexicans, Dominicans, etc living in the US vote for the Democrats who promote abortion......
I think you made an error .. Democrats dont promote abortion.... they typically support a pro choice system. Not the same thing.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think you made an error .. Democrats dont promote abortion.... they typically support a pro choice system. Not the same thing.
That rhetoric is promoted by the Catholic camp of the Republican Party. One way to recruit more members is to change the terms around and bring it back to the center of the faith.

Of course the social controversy covers up the Capitalist beliefs of the GOP, most of which run contrary to Catholic teachings.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:05 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That rhetoric is promoted by the Catholic camp of the Republican Party. One way to recruit more members is to change the terms around and bring it back to the center of the faith.

Of course the social controversy covers up the Capitalist beliefs of the GOP, most of which run contrary to Catholic teachings.
The world is true run by loads of selfish idiots ... people who want to thrive need to be able to apply critical think, be objective and make decisions based on what they think is best for them.

The older I get and the more people I meet the more I doubt most people in positions of power and permit myself to challenge rules and ideas that we are just suppose to follow.

At the end if the day the church and the government dont give a care or have the time to directly care about everyone and if people want to survive they got to turn on their brains and seek their own interests.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBambino1993 View Post
I’m against murder.
So don't murder people. Especially not me ! I am practically an endangered species. There is like literally only one of me left!

I think there is a huge irony with places have huge... HUGE murder rates ... but have huge anti-abortion rates.
I doubt it is all about the concept that they are dying so fast so we need to ensure the population is sustained.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:
So don't murder people. Especially not me ! I am practically an endangered species. There is like literally only one of me left!

I think there is a huge irony with places have huge... HUGE murder rates ... but have huge anti-abortion rates.
I doubt it is all about the concept that they are dying so fast so we need to ensure the population is sustained.
With abortion comes the loss of dignity of life. If we cannot value of the life of innocent babies, all life would be devalued, as well.

I remember when I was in an AmeriCorps meeting and they were talking about how if you neglect the needs of the inner city, those problems will spill over to the suburbs and this is so true.

For example, in my home state in New Jersey, the opioid crisis didn't just hit the cities of Paterson and Newark it's everywhere.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

For example, in my home state in New Jersey, the opioid crisis didn't just hit the cities of Paterson and Newark it's everywhere.
Everytime some one mentions Paterson NJ I can't help but think of the movie "Lean on me". I actually saw that when it came out in theatres. Great movie. The only thing I don't like about it is, they made that Hispanic guy "Kid Rey" look like a *****.

Sorry for the off topic....

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
That's because these people are more concerned with what they consider the groups wellbeing, the rest of the topics that may be included, such as abortion, is simply ignored. The fact that they are focused on the wellbeing of their people more than of the place where they are is also the reason why certain contradictions are present.

For example, among Dominicans is very common to be pro-immigrants (regardless if its legal or illegal immigrants) in the United States, but the very same people are against illegal immigration in the Dominican Republic. Another example is that Dominicans in general are pro-Dominicans gaining more political power by becoming politicians in the US government, but the same people don't approve of having foreigners becoming politicians in the Dominican government. The reason for this is simple, they want the door in the United States to be remain open because Dominicans actually see an economic gain from that, but they don't support illegal immigration in the Dominican Republic because they see a gradual destruction of what it is to be Dominican. They also discourage foreigners becoming politicians because they don't want them to gain more political power in the Dominican Republic in lieu of Dominican power. Basically, when in the Dominican Republic a person is subject to the power of the Dominicans and any foreigners that doesn't agree with something about that is free to leave the country, there is no room for discussing that.* The goal is always the wellbeing of the Dominicans at all cost, everything else simply doesn't matter.

Regarding abortion, most Dominicans don't support that and it's a direct influence from the Catholic Church and Christian principles. It is illegal in the Dominican Republic and backed by a widespread support of the people. In the United States most Dominicans see abortion as killing a human being, but most people could care less what Americans think about abortion or what is done about it in the United States, which is legal; mostly because most Dominicans think that they have no say in the matter. This is despite that Dominicans have one of the highest US citizenship rates of all immigrant groups, but the purpose for becoming a US citizen is not a rejection of being Dominican, but rather the perceived economic gains at a personal level.

Its very common for a Dominican who has become naturalized in the United States to say "this doesn't change anything" meaning that it doesn't makes them less Dominicans and more Americans. In order to encourage Dominicans to gain US citizenship, the government of the Dominican Republic in the administration of Leonel Fernández (who to this day is the only ex-president that lived in NYC for a part of his childhood), dual citizenship was made legal. This means that not only can a Dominican citizen never lose their Dominican citizenship unless they publicly renounce in front of Dominican authorities at the Dominican embassy or consulates in the US, or Dominican authorities in the Dominican Republic (almost no one renounces their Dominican citizenship), but the few Dominicans that before lost their Dominican citizenship for naturalizing as American citizens were automatically restored their Dominican citizenship. The Dominican government also encourages not just for Dominican immigrants in the United States to become US citizens, but also to gain further influence in American politics by becoming politicians. The goal isn't really to impose the Dominican way on Americans, but rather to increase the wellbeing of the Dominican people.

Like any people, this is not to say that all Dominicans aren't supporters of abortion. There are many clinics in the Dominican Republic that conduct illegal abortions, but in general abortion isn't supported. People prefer that a pregnant woman, even a teenager or one that became pregnant through rape, to have the child because his or her existance is God's will. If a mother wants to give up the baby by placing him or her in an orphanage or letting another family to essentially adopt him is widely supported, but a conceived child should always be born. If God's will is for the child to not be alive, something will happen that the child will naturally die before birth.

That's how the people see it. A human being basically doesn't have the right of deciding if another human being lives or dies, that's for God to decide. Anyone that do has committed murder. People see a fetus as a human being from the moment the sperm fertilizes an egg in the womb.

* Another reason for this is that for most of history Dominicans have been subjected to the will of foreigners through invasions and/or foreigners injecting themselves in Dominican politics to promote their personal economic wellbeing at expense of Dominicans in general. They basically reaped the rewards while leaving the Dominicans to desl with the broken dishes and the crumbs. Now that Dominicans have most of the power in the Dominican Republic, most don't see the attempt of incursion of foreigners in politics with good eyes. Its basically the return of Dominicans being relegated to second place in their own country and that is simply unacceptable. Dominicans don't even like it when foreigners voice their opinions about anything politic about the Dominican Republic and foreigners are actively excluded and individuals are shutdown by the Dominicans. This is regardless where the foreigner is from, if he or she has been living in the Dominican Republic for a long time or even if they became naturalized Dominican citizenship.

I know several Americans that have lived in the Dominican Republic for a long time, married into socially well positioned Dominican families, are in essence Dominican citizens through naturalization. Many of them had said to me that Dominicans really don't like it when they voiced there opinions about something political. They were basically shutdown as the Dominicans made it very clear that no one asked for their opinion, so zip it. A person can have all the Dominican citizenship they want, they can be treated as an accepted part of the people after a long time of acquaintance and trust; but, when it comes to politics thise very same people will let you know that despite everything you are not a real Dominican. In that instance is a situation of you versus them, and you have no right to get involved and that's the end of discussion. Lets not confuse ourselves.

The exception are descendants of Dominicans born abroad, who are Dominicans because if a person has one Dominican parent, they automatically get Dominican nationality from birth through Jus Sanguinis (inherit the nationality by blood connection), but whike Dominican nationals they are not automatically Dominican citizens. They do have the right to ask for their Dominican citizenship on any authority in the Dominican embassy or consulates in the United States or in the Dominican Republic. With the birth certificate of one of their parents and theirs, evidencing that he/she is the son/daughter of the Dominican citizenship, they are automatically given their citizenship with the immediate creation of their cédula (ID card which every Dominican citizen has) and if they wish, the Dominican passport. There are no restrictions on those citizenship because its not a naturalization, but rather a legal recognition of the obvious. Naturalized Dominican citizens (foreigners that gain the citizenship) have to follow a lengthy process with all sorts of documents, time, and money; and in the end, which takes several years, they gain a Dominican citizenship with conditions, for example they can never become president of the Dominican Republic while descendants of Dominicans born abroad have no limitations at all. Other aspects, though this one is minor, is for example that American foreigners are required to buy a tourist card upon arriving at the Dominican Republic in lieu of a tourist visa, but usually this allow them to be in the country for 30 consecutive days, but are not authorized to work, live, etc in the Dominican Republic. Foreigners are required to buy a return ticket when they buy a ticket to fly to the Dominican Republic and usually airlines will ask proof of this, though many times they can see the return ticket in the computer screen. If for any reason a foreigner arrives in the Dominican Republic without a returning ticket, they are immediately put on the next flight to the country where they came from and the airline is economically penalized. Dominican citizens can buy a one way ticket to the Dominican Republic and there is no problem (no requirement to buy a tourist card or any type of visas upon arriving in the Dominican Republic), because Dominican citizens have no limit of any kind. In fact, a Dominican passport isn't even necessary for dual national Dominican citizens. They simply have their Americsn passport and inside thry place their cédula and the immigration officer immediately will know the person is a Dominican citizen and the usual requirements imposed on Americans aren't applied.

The immigration officer says different things when he stsmps the passport and gives it back to ounupon arrivsl at a Dominican airport. US citizens are ususlly said "bienvenidos a la República Dominicana" (welcome to the Dominican Republic), but Dominican citizens and dusl nationals will be said "bienvenidos a casa" (welcome home).

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-16-2020 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 AM

9 posts, read 6,211 times
Quote:
I am straight out going to state I am pro choice.

I find it totally crazy that women anywhere in the Americas could still have to deal with not having the right to an abortion.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-abortion-case

Why is this still such a big deal ?
Crime and proverty rates are super high in certain countries in the Americas.
The fact that a woman could be charged and sentences to jail for having an abortion seems insane.
El Salvador is not the same as the other spanish speaking American countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas