Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:20 PM

439 posts, read 521,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really?
In Trinidad I have never seen anyone do that unless that were eating left over's from lunch or dinner at breakfast ( which techincally is not a big deal as it does all go down the same way).

I would eat plantain for breakfast with eggs, sausage, avacodo ... bread). Sounds like I know what I will be having for breakfast on Saturday. How anyone willingly wakes up to make a heavy breakfast or can eat a big meal first thing in the morning amazing me. For maybe people in Canada and likely the USA I wake up, take a shower, get dressed, grab something and take it with me at eat once on the train or at my office.

My husband is not Canadian and wakes up 1 hour earlier to make a hot breakfast every morning for me that just sounds like too much effort.
We eat more like the American style. Sandwiches, corn flakes, milk, tea, coffee, OJ, or Panamanian tortillas, fried bread, empanadas, carimañolas (nothing like Central American's ones), our cuisine is different from the rest of CA, way different. It is more Caribbean oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 01:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
We eat more like the American style. Sandwiches, corn flakes, milk, tea, coffee, OJ, or Panamanian tortillas, fried bread, empanadas, carimañolas (nothing like Central American's ones), our cuisine is different from the rest of CA, way different. It is more Caribbean oriented.
My only opinion about food in Panama was based on the food at the resort. I think you said the resort way run by a Colombian company ( Royal De Cameron I think). Regardless I don't think these types of places do such a great job provide "authentic local food" as they try to cater to things they think tourist might like too.

I know when I go to to these resort they never makes eggs good. Never NEVER any flavour to their eggs and they always leave then running. The tasteless yellow slug. Yuck.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
My only opinion about food in Panama was based on the food at the resort. I think you said the resort way run by a Colombian company ( Royal De Cameron I think). Regardless I don't think these types of places do such a great job provide "authentic local food" as they try to cater to things they think tourist might like too.

I know when I go to to these resort they never makes eggs good. Never NEVER any flavour to their eggs and they always leave then running. The tasteless yellow slug. Yuck.
Exactly, it is run by a Colombian company and yes, they do not provide authentic local food.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:30 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Some Colombian places in New York decide to sell carimanolas, I guess they exist in some parts of Colombia too?

Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,844 times
Dumb Question : In central American countries, Tortillas are Corn or Wheat ??? Like we get in the US Mission Tortillas with fine wheat flour? Which version is more common?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:43 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
They have both but born corn tortillas are way more common.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Some Colombian places in New York decide to sell carimanolas, I guess they exist in some parts of Colombia too?
Explain what is a New Yorkian carimañola... Panamanians' are made out of yucca.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Carimañolas are only found in the Caribbean region, as I'm descended from Paisas neither I or my parents had ever heard of the food until my holidays in and around Cartagena in my early 20's. I remember being in Palenque for the drum festival, they were out of empanadas so the lady offered me a carimañola - I had no idea what it was.

They are indeed made from a yucca encasing stuffed with meat or cheese, I once had a delicious crab filled one. However, most people outside the caribbean region of Colombia to this day do not know what they are.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Yeah most bakeries typically don't sell them :/ would be great to travel to Colombia and see what the food is like there, I know living overseas sometimes you get the bootleg version of the cuisine

Old 12-06-2017, 06:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Yeah most bakeries typically don't sell them :/ would be great to travel to Colombia and see what the food is like there, I know living overseas sometimes you get the bootleg version of the cuisine
To be fair its nice but nothing to write home about. The only redeeming factors are that each region has a signature dish which fills out the portfolio and the produce is if not fully organic, semi-organic at least.

Considering the amount and variety of quality produce that can be grown in Colombia, the cuisine is rather lacklustre compared to the real potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas