Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,760,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yet the example gven was recent but nice try running from the discussion. It bothers you to admit that any Western nation was not as advanced as a Caribbean nation at the same age.

Truth hurts so you’re running from it.
What nation? What example? You're casting a really wide and over simplified net to excuse performance of those countries. I'm not running from any argument I'm just stating that your reasoning is ludicrous.

So are we comparing present day English speaking Caribbean nations with England 980 AD/CE? Around 50 years after Athelstan's formation of England. Is that what we're doing? Or more like 1340 AD/CE, 50 years after the Swiss confederation? Because of course let's not even go with New Zealand 2000's, 50+ years after the statute of Westminster adoption.

As I said, poor excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM

666 posts, read 517,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I see the usual angry anti-western rants, but the fact is most Western countries are run with a fairer aspect to their citizens. Its not genetic, its cultural. Telling us corruption happens everywhere is entirely unhelpful. Corruption happens in the Philippines and it happens in France, but in the Philippines its prevalence is corrosive to any chance of advancement or equity for most citizens, but in France it is not even a tenth as effectual on them.
Awww, it's "anti-West" to argue that foreign bodies wouldn't hold the Caribbeans' best interest at heart, even though China was thrown into the equation and no one would ever argue that the Middle East or Africa would have a positive influence in the Caribbean, either. Awww. You seem really hurt by all this talk. Wanna cookie?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 PM

At the end of the day my opinion still stands. I believe many English speaking Caribbean countries can benefit from becoming part of the United Kingdom. Notice I say part of as opposed to saying British rule. The status quo that was in place pre 60's would not be acceptable, there would need to be autonomy and local devolved government.

The Britain of today is very different from the colonial one and wouldn't accept outright rule (some sort of neo-Marshall law) again anyway. Land/labour rights and social policies for the local population would need to be fiercely adhered to equal to the UK.

Obviously this would never happen however because of rampant local corruption and the pride of the average person being too thick to swallow.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:58 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,218,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What nation? What example? You're casting a really wide and over simplified net to excuse performance of those countries. I'm not running from any argument I'm just stating that your reasoning is ludicrous.

So are we comparing present day English speaking Caribbean nations with England 980 AD/CE? Around 50 years after Athelstan's formation of England. Is that what we're doing? Or more like 1340 AD/CE, 50 years after the Swiss confederation? Because of course let's not even go with New Zealand 2000's, 50+ years after the statute of Westminster adoption.

As I said, poor excuse.
Guess you’re angry. Did I not use the U.S. as an example? As usual, it is excuse after excuse for nations like the U.S and others. The point is that nations take time to develop.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,452,715 times
Quote:
At the end of the day my opinion still stands. I believe many English speaking Caribbean countries can benefit from becoming part of the United Kingdom. Notice I say part of as opposed to saying British rule. The status quo that was in place pre 60's would not be acceptable, there would need to be autonomy and local devolved government.

The Britain of today is very different from the colonial one and wouldn't accept outright rule (some sort of neo-Marshall law) again anyway. Land/labour rights and social policies for the local population would need to be fiercely adhered to equal to the UK.

Obviously this would never happen however because of rampant local corruption and the pride of the average person being too thick to swallow.
how exactly would UK taking control of the Caribbean improve anything?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Only chuckling over here because I actually live in a Caribbean territory. Looking over at our British sister islands and being British isn’t helping them much more than being American is helping Puerto Rico post-hurricanes. And if he thinks being under the UK would prevent corruption, he needs to take a closer look at the BVI.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Only chuckling over here because I actually live in a Caribbean territory. Looking over at our British sister islands and being British isn’t helping them much more than being American is helping Puerto Rico post-hurricanes. And if he thinks being under the UK would prevent corruption, he needs to take a closer look at the BVI.

Believe you me, I'm chuckling more because before Irma or Maria Puerto Rico and especially the BVI were prosperous relative to the other islands and they will be again. In fact 3 month after and the BVI is well on the road to recovery, this was no walk in the park, it was a cat 5 natural disaster - the biggest in living memory. I bet Haiti and even Puerto Rico wished they had the same response.

BVI OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Thank you Britain!

The British navy even relocated people from decimated Barbuda and helped Antigua, countries that are not even dependencies. Looks like the one in denial here is you. Not to mention the huge criticism at home because it took more than 1 day for an armed forces backed relief response. The British public and press are brutal and won't allow any dilly-dallying! COBRA meetings are only deployed at the most crucial times such as terrorist attacks on home soil.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 12-29-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The main things initially would be efficient governance, crime prevention and judiciary system. A rise in security will help to pave the way for more progress.

Following from that, resources. There will be more resources available for not only governance but investment across the board. However, saying that I wouldn't be inclined to give more than 115% of public spending from local tax income - more or less the deal Northern Ireland has at the moment. In any case that will still mean a significant rise in public expenditure.

Lastly, Representation. If a country were to join the United Kingdom, that country's respective constituencies or parishes will have a representative in the House of Commons to petition government and create/discuss legislation for their local constituents. As the distances between the islands and the UK are vast I would suggest a split role so that each constituency will have two representatives. One that's based in Westminster and the other at home.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Believe you me, I'm chuckling more because before Irma or Maria Puerto Rico and especially the BVI were prosperous relative to the other islands and they will be again. In fact 3 month after and the BVI is well on the road to recovery, this was no walk in the park, it was a cat 5 natural disaster - the biggest in living memory.

BVI OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Thank you Britain!

The British navy even relocated people from decimated Barbuda and helped Antigua, countries that are not even dependencies. Looks like the one in denial here is you. Not to mention the huge criticism at home because it took more than 1 day for an armed forces backed relief response. The British public and press are brutal and won't allow any dilly-dallying! COBRA meetings are only deployed at the most crucial times such as terrorist attacks on home soil.

Let’s get this straight. I LIVE in the USVI. The BVI and Puerto Rico are our neighboring islands and we share similar concerns and challenges. Puerto Rico had major financial issues prior to Irma and Maria and the USVI was and is heading down the same path.

That being said, who are you trying to tell about Irma and Maria? I LIVED through BOTH hurricanes and am going through the recovery period in the present. I listened to the plea for help from the only functioning radio station in the BVI when the UK had not yet arrived. Both Irma and Maria were Category 5 hurricanes for the Virgin Islands.

So don’t try to tell me about what life was like post-hurricanes. The BVI is recovering but it is not like it was before. None of us are there yet. The UK helped plenty but there is way more work to be done. You have no idea of the degree of devastation in these islands and the UK, like the U.S., could do more. I just got power last week. My friend in the BVI is still waiting on power. The UK helped but, in terms of power restoration, fellow Caribbean islands are lending more aid than the UK itself. The BVI is borrowing recovery monies from the Caribbean Development Bank and others, not simply the U.K.

As for corruption, it is alive and well in Puerto Rico, the USVI and the BVI. Having a foreign power over the islands has not stopped corruption at all. Millions go missing. Crime is also still an issue.

The one in denial and ignorance is you. You’re talking about and watching videos on YouTube but I’m living it. Get out of here.

Btw, all our islands have open for business videos because we rely greatly on tourism. That video came out awhile ago. We all saw them and shared them because we support each other.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-29-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:

As for corruption, it is alive and well in Puerto Rico, the USVI and the BVI. Having a foreign power over the islands has not stopped corruption at all. Millions go missing. Crime is still an issue.

The one in denial and ignorance is you. You’re talking but I’m living it. Get out of here.
Nope sorry after a Cat 5 natural disaster you can't expect to be up and running straight away. Haitians would kill to have a response in an entire year that you've experienced in 3 months.

Also you can talk about crime in the USVI but in the British oversees territories; Anguilla, BVI and Cayman Islands these rates are much less. https://www.tripsavvy.com/caribbean-...-rates-1488167. You may live there but the maths doesn't lie and GDP per capita is much higher also so yes the one living with blinkers on is you. Just because you live there doesn't make you privy to the facts and the stats are there in black and white.

As for the neighbouring islands providing aid - that should be common practice no? At the end of the day you're closely historically and culturally linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas