Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,211,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nope sorry after a Cat 5 natural disaster you can't expect to be up and running straight away. Haitians would kill to have a response in an entire year that you've experienced in 3 months.

Also you can talk about crime in the USVI but in the British oversees territories; Anguilla, BVI and Cayman Islands these rates are much less. https://www.tripsavvy.com/caribbean-...-rates-1488167. You may live there but the maths doesn't lie and GDP per capita is much higher also so yes the one living with blinkers on is you. Just because you live there doesn't make you privy to the facts and the stats are there in black and white.
So now you admit that everything isn’t up and running so credit cannot be handed to the U.K. You were just giving thanks and praise to Britain and now you’re backtracking and saying it’s better than Haiti. In case you did not know, every other Caribbean island is better off than Haiti for obvious reasons. The truth is that you have no idea what is going on.

Interesting that you did not address the rest of my post. The BVI is borrowing monies from all over, including the Caribbean Development Bank, to aid them in recovery. That is despite their financial successes prior to the storms.

Regarding crime, the point is that being a territory does not guarantee low crime. The USVI murder rate is higher that almost every independent Caribbean nation. Puerto Rico is up there as well.

Corruption is also an issue and it has gained major attention the BVI.

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe..._panama_papers

Governor sends corruption message to new DPP

Clearly it is you who is not privy to the facts. Being a territory of the U.K., U.S. etc., does not make an island immune to the various issues facing the independent islands. Depending on the particular issue, the issues may be worse in the territories.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-29-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So now you admit that everything isn’t up and running so credit cannot be handed to the U.K. You were just giving thanks and praise to Britain and now you’re backtracking and saying it’s better than Haiti. The truth is that you have no idea what is going on.

Interesting that you did not address the rest of my post. The BVI is borrowing monies from all over, including the Caribbean Development Bank, to aid them in recovery. That is despite their financial successes prior to the storms.

Regarding crime, the point is that being a territory does it guarantee low crime. The USVI murder rate is higher that almost every independent Caribbean nation. Puerto Rico is up there as well.

Corruption is also an issue and it has gained major attention the BVI.

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe..._panama_papers

Governor sends corruption message to new DPP

Clearly it is you who is not privy to the facts. Being a territory of the U.K., U.S. etc., does not make an island immune to the various issues facing the independent islands. Depending on the particular issue, the issues may be worse in the territories.
Sorry but I clearly said "on the road to recovery" not recovered yet so I suggest you pay more attention to your reading comprehension. Also that whole "Thank you Britain" was meant as tongue in cheek and to rile your cage as it was you that mentioned the BVI as an example, when hurricane Irma is obviously a force majeur and the response wasn't as dismal as you ATTEMPTED to make it out to be.

Funny how you evade the GDP per capita issue. These islands are clearly more prosperous and that's without scope or recourse to land and greater natural resources of other islands.

So they borrow money, Scotland borrows money, London borrows money. The entire burden shouldn't rest on the shoulders of just one entity. When Britain fought the Nazis, the only power to stand up to all the axis powers for an entire year do you think Britain didn't borrow from the US? It only just paid off its entire WWII debt in 2006. This despite it being one of the great bastions that prevented the Nazis from invading the world together with it's Commonwealth partners including those brave men from the Caribbean. At some point you have to pay and be responsible for your own fiscal development including recovery from natural disaster despite obviously receiving PARTIAL help from oversees aid.

Corruption is an issue everywhere! No-one is arguing that, however there is no comparison between British governance and judiciary compared to Jamaica or Trinidad for example where corruption is corrosive towards almost any development and even personal safety.

As for "guaranteeing low crime", Newsflash, nothing in this world is a guarantee just like no place on Earth has no corruption. We live in a world of probabilities and under light British governance all modern evidence shows that there will be more of a chance of a prosperous society in a modern context - I know this shakes you to your core but this is just fact based on evidence as much as you want to scream and shout the contrary.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 12-29-2017 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
Quote:
The main things initially would be efficient governance, crime prevention and judiciary system. A rise in security will help to pave the way for more progress.

Following from that, resources. There will be more resources available for not only governance but investment across the board. However, saying that I wouldn't be inclined to give more than 115% of public spending from local tax income - more or less the deal Northern Ireland has at the moment. In any case that will still mean a significant rise in public expenditure.

Lastly, Representation. If a country were to join the United Kingdom, that country's respective constituencies or parishes will have a representative in the House of Commons to petition government and create/discuss legislation for their local constituents. As the distances between the islands and the UK are vast I would suggest a split role so that each constituency will have two representatives. One that's based in Westminster and the other at home.
I'm not sure why you think say Dominica having 2 MPs in Parliament is going to help at all.
And do you think British police/military is going to stop crime? How exactly?

Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,211,532 times
Quote:
Sorry but I clearly said "on the road to recovery" not recovered yet so I suggest you pay more attention to your reading comprehension. Also that whole "Thank you Britain" was meant as tongue in cheek and to rile your cage as it was you that mentioned the BVI as an example, when hurricane Irma is obviously a force majeur and the response wasn't as dismal as you ATTEMPTED to make it out to be.

Funny how you evade the GDP per capita issue. These islands are clearly more prosperous and that's without scope or recourse to land and greater natural resources of other islands.

So they borrow money, Scotland borrows money, London borrows money. The entire burden shouldn't rest on the shoulders of just one entity. When Britain fought the Nazis, the only power to stand up to all the axis powers for an entire year do you think Britain didn't borrow from the US? It only just paid off its entire WWII debt in 2006. This despite it being one of the great bastions that prevented the Nazis from invading the world together with it's Commonwealth partners including those brave men from the Caribbean. At some point you have to pay and be responsible for your own fiscal development including recovery from natural disaster despite obviously receiving PARTIAL help from oversees aid.

Corruption is an issue everywhere! No-one is arguing that, however there is no comparison between British governance and judiciary compared to Jamaica or Trinidad for example where corruption is corrosive towards almost any development and even personal safety.

As for "guaranteeing low crime", Newsflash, nothing in this world is a guarantee just like no place on Earth has no corruption. We live in a world of probabilities and under light British governance all modern evidence shows that there will be more of a chance of a prosperous society in a modern context - I know this shakes you to your core but this is just fact based on evidence as much as you want to scream and shout the contrary.
False. My post made it very clear that the BVI received plenty help but it simply was not enough. Your attempt to give all credit to the U.K. results from your ignorance as to the current situation in the BVI. The UK is limited with regards to the aid it can provide to its territories and so aid from other Caribbean islands is being utilized.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...mp/uk-41258435

No one evaded the wealth of the BVI and other British territories. That is common knowledge. My post stated that despite their wealth, the BVI and to the lesser extent other affected British territories must borrow funds from other islands, not just the U.K.

Caribbean territories are made aware of just how British, American, French or Dutch they are when disaster strikes. At this point, the U.K. only has a few territories but imagine how much less effective it would be with more territories.

Thank you for admitting that nowhere is immune to crime or corruption. The lower crime has far more to do with location and extremely small size than anything else. The BVI has around 31,000 people over 15 inhabited islands which you try to compare to Jamaica’s 2.8 million and T&T’s 1.3 million. Also, although recent statistics aren’t easily acquired regarding British territories, the BVI had a least 10 murders this year, which puts it well over the murder rate claimed in the article you found. Do the math. It’s on the level of numerous other islands, higher than some that are independent.

If you think, that much would change by having a foreign entity involved, you’re incorrect. If that were the case, the USVI would have a lower crime rate than all the independent nations but it does not.

The only person shook to the core is you, as your exposure is limited.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-29-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 06:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,088,820 times
Quote:
Believe you me, I'm chuckling more because before Irma or Maria Puerto Rico and especially the BVI were prosperous relative to the other islands and they will be again. In fact 3 month after and the BVI is well on the road to recovery, this was no walk in the park, it was a cat 5 natural disaster - the biggest in living memory. I bet Haiti and even Puerto Rico wished they had the same response.

BVI OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Thank you Britain!

The British navy even relocated people from decimated Barbuda and helped Antigua, countries that are not even dependencies. Looks like the one in denial here is you. Not to mention the huge criticism at home because it took more than 1 day for an armed forces backed relief response. The British public and press are brutal and won't allow any dilly-dallying! COBRA meetings are only deployed at the most crucial times such as terrorist attacks on home soil.

Puerto Ricans were fleeing Puerto Rico in large numbers in recent years even before Maria struck the island. The island's economy was in a state of near collapse before Hurricane Maria hit. Puerto Rico was not well off compared to the other islands.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,088,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
False. My post made it very clear that the BVI received plenty help but it simply was not enough. Your attempt to give all credit to the U.K. results from your ignorance as to the current situation in the BVI. The UK is limited with regards to the aid it can provide to its territories and so aid from other Caribbean islands is being utilized.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...mp/uk-41258435

No one evaded the wealth of the BVI and other British territories. That is common knowledge. My post stated that despite their wealth, the BVI and to the lesser extent other affected British territories must borrow funds from other islands, not just the U.K.

Caribbean territories are made aware of just how British, American, French or Dutch they are when disaster strikes. At this point, the U.K. only has a few territories but imagine how much less effective it would be with more territories.

Thank you for admitting that nowhere is immune to crime or corruption. The lower crime has far more to do with location and extremely small size than anything else. The BVI has around 31,000 people over 15 inhabited islands which you try to compare to Jamaica’s 2.8 million and T&T’s 1.3 million. Also, although recent statistics aren’t easily acquired regarding British territories, the BVI had a least 10 murders this year, which puts it well over the murder rate claimed in the article you found. Do the math. It’s on the level of numerous other islands, higher than some that are independent.

If you think, that much would change by having a foreign entity involved, you’re incorrect. If that were the case, the USVI would have a lower crime rate than all the independent nations but it does not.

The only person shook to the core is you, as your exposure is limited.
I'm not sure why Pablofuerte claims to be an expert on every country in the world, and mostly basing his expertise on hearsay (never on facts or any substantial experience in the country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas