Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,567,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmyheart View Post
Lol you're so ignorant. Educating people that " All Brazilians are black" is correctly? We are indeed a country of mixed heritage. This is sad indeed. Really there is no excuse for whites to be over looked, they deserve to be represented. I'm Brazilian but sometimes it seems that 'Black Brazilian is the only category that exists.
Brazilian media would have us believe that 90% of Brazilians are white, so why are you upset that others try to introduce greater balance?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I first take exception to the premise that American media has a Brazil-related obsession of any kind
In fact US media features Brazil almost never. As far as it is concerned all that matters in Lat Am is Mexico. Nigeria gets more coverage than Brazil. Since the Olympics and World Cup I have seen almost no mention of Brazil aside from its current political fiasco.

We all know what the Brazilian politicians look like................not any visible sign of African ancestry!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've watched Brazilian films with Black people in them.

That's not to say that there's no prejudiced against Black people in the media, but in Brazilian and in other Latin American nations one can find Black people throughout the media. I was in Bogota, Colombia in 2016 and I saw a number of Black journalists, sportscasters, and actors.

That year I saw Brazilian films with heavily Black casts.
All very recent phenomenon. Popular black Brazilian actors in fact complained up to 10 years ago of the paucity of roles that weren't connected to slavery.

Take credit as a black American for this because this recent visibility is very much tied to high visibility of American blacks and queries as to why the exclusion in Latin America.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Tourists do indeed go to the Bronx. Yankee stadium is in the Bronx. The Bronx Zoo is in the Bronx. The New York Botanical Garden is in the Bronx. And so are museums.

Probably the biggest share of tourists go see Yankee stadium.
There are "ghetto tours" to Bushwick and surely in the early 80s the Harlem tours were no different from the favela tours in terms of voyeurism of poor people with a supposedly rich culture.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 10,663 times
OP you are seriously delusional if you think this is the case. In fact when i first went to brazil i was really surprised at how many black /mixed brazilians there were. I always thought most of brazil looked like what you see on brazilian tv or during the world cup.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 AM

1,008 posts, read 891,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact US media features Brazil almost never. As far as it is concerned all that matters in Lat Am is Mexico. Nigeria gets more coverage than Brazil. Since the Olympics and World Cup I have seen almost no mention of Brazil aside from its current political fiasco.

We all know what the Brazilian politicians look like................not any visible sign of African ancestry!
Tons of ‘’pardos’’ (mixed race) as example Lula and Fernando Henrique Cardoso the last two presidentes, and the next presidente probably will be a full black Joaquim Barbosa or Marina Silva.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...so&FORM=HDRSC2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lula&FORM=HDRSC2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...5A7680B3EF4484

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...61BA29784FC859

Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Tons of ‘’pardos’’ (mixed race) as example Lula and Fernando Henrique Cardoso the last two presidentes, and the next presidente probably will be a full black Joaquim Barbosa or Marina Silva.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...so&FORM=HDRSC2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lula&FORM=HDRSC2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...5A7680B3EF4484

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...61BA29784FC859

Calling Lula nonwhite is a joke. Cardoso even more laughable. Where is the VISIBLE African ancestry? Even in the USA these men will be considered WHITE!

Barbosa is the FORMER Chief Justice, this ending in 2014. 4 years later what is he doing? So you aren't left with many VISIBLY Afro descendant people. Even if you use definitions of how the USA defines "blackness" its a struggle to find this. And this in a nation where maybe 20-30% of the population fits into this criteria.

Its a real joke to find people who look as if they came from Portugal, but spent too much time sunning on Ipanema, and then claim that they are visibly Afro descendant. Yes some undetermined nonwhite ancestry from 6 generations ago!

The USA is this "awfully racist place," according to most Brazilians, and yet the middle and upper middle class black population of people looking like Barbosa are quite visible. In Brazil Barbosa is a rare bird. Where are the corporate tycoons like Magic Johnson, Oprah, Robert Johnson, etc. The chairman of Microsoft is black, and obviously black at that. The former CEOs of Merrill Lynch and Xerox, both black. And the list continues. Shonda Rimes virtually owns Thursday night on ABC TV and has had several shows with blacks playing powerful roles. I need not discuss the power of Oprah.

I suggest that Brazilians need to admit that the socio economic status of blacks in that country is 40 years behind the USA. In fact a recent black female activist was gunned down by para-militias likely connected to the police. Apparently in Brazil open discussion of race can have serious results.

And don't talk about the police/black relations in the USA. Brazil its considerably WORSE except that blacks are too afraid to loudly discuss this.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36chambers View Post
OP you are seriously delusional if you think this is the case. In fact when i first went to brazil i was really surprised at how many black /mixed brazilians there were. I always thought most of brazil looked like what you see on brazilian tv or during the world cup.

Go to the rich areas and the blacks that you see are the maids. Go to the favelas and there is where all of the blacks and other darker folks can be found. That was Brazil 30 years ago long after it ceased to be the case in the USA. And from what I hear it has only marginally improved then.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 AM

1,008 posts, read 891,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Calling Lula nonwhite is a joke. Cardoso even more laughable. Where is the VISIBLE African ancestry? Even in the USA these men will be considered WHITE!

Barbosa is the FORMER Chief Justice, this ending in 2014. 4 years later what is he doing? So you aren't left with many VISIBLY Afro descendant people. Even if you use definitions of how the USA defines "blackness" its a struggle to find this. And this in a nation where maybe 20-30% of the population fits into this criteria.

Its a real joke to find people who look as if they came from Portugal, but spent too much time sunning on Ipanema, and then claim that they are visibly Afro descendant. Yes some undetermined nonwhite ancestry from 6 generations ago!

The USA is this "awfully racist place," according to most Brazilians, and yet the middle and upper middle class black population of people looking like Barbosa are quite visible. In Brazil Barbosa is a rare bird. Where are the corporate tycoons like Magic Johnson, Oprah, Robert Johnson, etc. The chairman of Microsoft is black, and obviously black at that. The former CEOs of Merrill Lynch and Xerox, both black. And the list continues. Shonda Rimes virtually owns Thursday night on ABC TV and has had several shows with blacks playing powerful roles. I need not discuss the power of Oprah.

I suggest that Brazilians need to admit that the socio economic status of blacks in that country is 40 years behind the USA. In fact a recent black female activist was gunned down by para-militias likely connected to the police. Apparently in Brazil open discussion of race can have serious results.

And don't talk about the police/black relations in the USA. Brazil its considerably WORSE except that blacks are too afraid to loudly discuss this.
Did you see photos of Lulas’s mother? She is parda so he is pardo too. Most important than that he is a Brazilian from extreme poverty of Northeast Brazil, his Portuguese blood is not oligarch.

http://www.terra.com.br/istoegente/1...os/lula_02.jpg

Fernando Henrique Cardoso is triracial although 80% European his nose looks black and skin color amerindian.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...verlay&first=1

Both are the typical Pardo Brazilian, they are similar half part of population, the way you say people could imagine Brazilian are complexed people who only vote in people with Scandinavian looks.

Economically I don’t see difference in the racial dynamic between Brazil and USA if someone consider USA is much richer. The black American are well off than black Brazilian but they are the poorest in the USA, same way here in Brazil, they are poorer than Hispanic, most people living under poverty line in USA are black, the only difference is they are poor in a first world country, and black Brazilians are poor in a third world country.
Same way the average white in Brazil are poorer than white American.

There are black Brazilian supper rich, between the 1% richest Brazilian 17% are blacks again the dynamic is similar than in USA, they are few but exist.

Como vivem os negros no clube do 1% mais rico do país - BBC Brasil

Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 10,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Did you see photos of Lulas’s mother? She is parda so he is pardo too. Most important than that he is a Brazilian from extreme poverty of Northeast Brazil, his Portuguese blood is not oligarch.

http://www.terra.com.br/istoegente/1...os/lula_02.jpg

Fernando Henrique Cardoso is triracial although 80% European his nose looks black and skin color amerindian.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...verlay&first=1

Both are the typical Pardo Brazilian, they are similar half part of population, the way you say people could imagine Brazilian are complexed people who only vote in people with Scandinavian looks.

Economically I don’t see difference in the racial dynamic between Brazil and USA if someone consider USA is much richer. The black American are well off than black Brazilian but they are the poorest in the USA, same way here in Brazil, they are poorer than Hispanic, most people living under poverty line in USA are black, the only difference is they are poor in a first world country, and black Brazilians are poor in a third world country.
Same way the average white in Brazil are poorer than white American.

There are black Brazilian supper rich, between the 1% richest Brazilian 17% are blacks again the dynamic is similar than in USA, they are few but exist.

Como vivem os negros no clube do 1% mais rico do país - BBC Brasil
phenotype is what matters. Say for instance obama and rashida jones. Both are half black and half white. Rashida though passes for white so she does not face the same level of discrimination that obama would. When people talk about black people they are not describing someone who looks like her.

I don't think the dynamics between black in the US and brazil are the same. Blacks in the US have more social mobility than black brazilians. For the amount of afro brazilians that exist in brazil compared to the amount of blacks in the US there should be more representation throughout all levels of society. Also in the US there is an awareness that racism exist while in brazil there is more of a denial. Perhaps in brazil it is more appropriate to talk in terms of colorism since almost everyone there has some degree of black in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas