Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times

Advertisements

Using the word 'obsession' is dramatic and boring.

The vast majority of millennials have no interest in Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:57 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
havana ooh nana!
lol!!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Using the word 'obsession' is dramatic and boring.

The vast majority of millennials have no interest in Cuba.
Totally agree, the main people obsessed with Cuba are the old Cuban exiles like my grandparents (many of whom never returned back) & *maybe* their Cuban-American kids. I'm Cuban-American, but my husband isn't (& he's Latin as well). My kids will be even less Cuban than I am, so there you go. If anything, the Latin countries that are de moda OR that millenials would even have any *inkling* of interest right now are countries w/ really strong culture like: Colombia (popular reggaeton artists J. Balvin, Maluma, Reykon, Dalmata, Karol G, Latin pop artists like Fonseca, Carlos Vives, Sebastian Yatra, vallenato-pop or vallenaton the "safer" reputation Colombia is getting, etc.) Brazil (for obvious reasons like Olympics, FIFA, Rio, etc.) Mexico (touristy vacation spots & Mexico is often viewed for rich culture & gateway hub to Latin America) & maybe Peru b/c of Machu Picchu for travel, world-renowned cuisine, unqiue Inca culture etc.

Not saying that Cuba isn't interesting or doesn't have a rich culture, but I can tell you as a Latina, it doesn't garner much interest outside of Miami, Cuban exiles who are literally the most vocal about Cuba, or even in Latin Music, there isn't a very strong presence unless you are Pitbull or the group Gente de Zona.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. *Kanye shrug*

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 03-20-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
don't worry. We'll do it economy like china does. Buy everything and bribe their leaders.

by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kabzgp2H55M

Bush II was going to invade Iraq and take their oil. How'd that work out?

The US taking over Cuba means they'd have to give them citizenship, and that would have HUGE political consequences. Cuba would have more than enough people to sway Presidential elections.

Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and the US can't even repair Puerto Rico post Hurricane Maria. Why would they want to be responsible for Cuba?

To bring Cuba up to speed would take a fantastic amount of money from the US. It wouldn't go down well politically at all.

Also US conquest of Cuba would mean Latin American nations have to build nukes to survive, and any nation that really wants to can. Does nuclear war and tens of millions of people dying make you happy?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
My daughter is a millennial and she went to Cuba last fall. She went because her employer sponsors service trips of some sort where they pay all your expenses plus your salary. She was supposed to be working on a Habitat For Humanity type project which they abandoned when they got news Hurricane Irma was going to hit. They were eventually evacuated.

I don't think she is "obsessed" with Cuba. I think she saw it as a free trip to an exotic location. She liked the old cars, most of the people were friendly and the food and drinks are very cheap. Obviously, the infrastructure is poor.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:10 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bush II was going to invade Iraq and take their oil. How'd that work out?

The US taking over Cuba means they'd have to give them citizenship, and that would have HUGE political consequences. Cuba would have more than enough people to sway Presidential elections.

Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and the US can't even repair Puerto Rico post Hurricane Maria. Why would they want to be responsible for Cuba?

To bring Cuba up to speed would take a fantastic amount of money from the US. It wouldn't go down well politically at all.

Also US conquest of Cuba would mean Latin American nations have to build nukes to survive, and any nation that really wants to can. Does nuclear war and tens of millions of people dying make you happy?
we'll we wouldn't be invading militarily. We shall use a social media campaign to have cuba want to be annexed and apply to be a commonwealth...maybe a state.

I blame trump for puerto rico.

Only the Caribbean needs to be americanized. The rest of latin america just needs to speak english. No need to be annexed. Too many verb forms in spanish.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:57 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Mexico (touristy vacation spots & Mexico is often viewed for rich culture & gateway hub to Latin America)
What?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
hink its offensive and colonial-minded to want the people to live without the aspects of modern life they enjoy.

3. Its kind of trendy to be flirting with Marxism/Communism among the youth today in the "Western World". (Though one that is more obsessed with race, gender, and sexual orientation (identity politics)).

In a way they are rebelling against their elders to deliberately traveling to Marxist/Communist countries that were once an enemy.

Along with the Marxist/Communist thread, young people aren't interested in using their power of consumer choice to NOT spend money at an American corporate chain, and go instead to a local, unique place. They are offended by their very presence.

I guess I'm just a little older than them, where I feel "I just will choose not to spend money here."

4. Apparently, most Americans traveling to Cuba really don't know about the challenges.

Here's a blog:

https://travelcodex.com/cuba-is-actu...e-place-to-go/

I think its weird that young people want to go to Cuba instead of the many other Latin American countries which can have unique cultural that are traditional and different from anything in the US.

Thoughts?
OP, that's a lot of theorizing and 'splaining to get involved in, over somebody's opinion on Cuba. It's far from limited to the Millennial generation, FYI. There are boomers who still cling to the trendy Marxism of their 60's-era youth, Gen-X'ers similarly enthralled, environmentalists of various strips and ages who cringe at the thought of the trashing of Cuba, and a broad spectrum of folks who do the same, for their own reasons, whatever they are. Rebelling against elders? How do you know the political views of their elders? Maybe the Millennials you refer to are chips off the old block.

I tend to agree that Cuba should be cautious about allowing foreign investment on the island. They should be selective. Improvements are needed, as some people inhabit unsafe housing: buildings that are on the verge of collapse. But they don't need American fast food. With increased tourism, their own home-grown restaurants could really take off, as some have done already. Their fabulous home-grown music scene could flourish. I see nothing wrong with advocating for Cuba's uniqueness.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, that's a lot of theorizing and 'splaining to get involved in, over somebody's opinion on Cuba. It's far from limited to the Millennial generation, FYI. There are boomers who still cling to the trendy Marxism of their 60's-era youth, Gen-X'ers similarly enthralled, environmentalists of various strips and ages who cringe at the thought of the trashing of Cuba, and a broad spectrum of folks who do the same, for their own reasons, whatever they are. Rebelling against elders? How do you know the political views of their elders? Maybe the Millennials you refer to are chips off the old block.

I tend to agree that Cuba should be cautious about allowing foreign investment on the island. They should be selective. Improvements are needed, as some people inhabit unsafe housing: buildings that are on the verge of collapse. But they don't need American fast food. With increased tourism, their own home-grown restaurants could really take off, as some have done already. Their fabulous home-grown music scene could flourish. I see nothing wrong with advocating for Cuba's uniqueness.
it needs to be americanized immediately. Fast food will use to pacify the population. One the golden arches have been planted, cuba will permanently enter the american sphere. Americans should be a able to prime beach front property. I want a plantation so I can grow all the fruits and vegetables that the US imports from central and south america.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:47 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not saying that Cuba isn't interesting or doesn't have a rich culture, but I can tell you as a Latina, it doesn't garner much interest outside of Miami, Cuban exiles who are literally the most vocal about Cuba, or even in Latin Music, there isn't a very strong presence unless you are Pitbull or the group Gente de Zona.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. *Kanye shrug*
NYC is the capital of the Millennials and yet the new flights to Havana are going out empty. As creative as this generation is they would have figured out a way to deal with the bureaucratic restrictions limiting visits to Cuba if interested.

So I conclude that Millennials aren't really that interested in Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas