Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:10 PM

631 posts, read 562,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
And what does that have to do with Trinidad...or Suriname?
Absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 03:25 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Absolutely nothing.
Exactly.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM

302 posts, read 308,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
And what does that have to do with Trinidad...or Suriname?
He wasn't making references to Trinidad or Suriname , I asked him about his sources for history of Guyana.If you are going to make conclusions you got to read things in their context and see why he posted that.

Honestly the history of Guyana, Suriname and Trinidad shouldn't even be in here its kind of derailing the thread.I just want to address things that are brought up.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
He wasn't making references to Trinidad or Suriname , I asked him about his sources for history of Guyana.If you are going to make conclusions you got to read things in their context and see why he posted that.

Honestly the history of Guyana, Suriname and Trinidad shouldn't even be in here its kind of derailing the thread.I just want to address things that are brought up.
Go back to his previous posts. He made claims about ALL THREE, regardless of what you asked. Let him back up his claims.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 30,347 times
yall getting off topic Cono. Puerto Ricans are more similar to Dominicans than Cubans. Im Puerto Rican, I live in DR and travel to Cuba frequently.

San Juan= Santo Domingo and Havana
Eastern PR= Eastern DR (La Romana area) and Eastern Cuba (Santiago de Cuba)
West/Central PR= Cibao Valley DR and Western Cuba

It used to be PRs and Cubans, with Dominicans in their own world due to Haitian tension. But now PRs and Dominicans are much closer, while Cubans drifting apart due to the Communist atmosphere and now they are in their own world. Plus, DR and PR are neighboring islands and theres alot of travel between the 2, Puerto Rico being a US colony is desirable to Dominicans, and Dominican Republic being on its own is desirable for Ricans (like myself) who want to travel or live outside of US political limits while still being in a country very culturally/racially similar to my home Puerto Rico. Top that off, theres alot of interaction and exposure to each other, between Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in northeast cities like New York, Boston, and Philly. Aside from Miami, there is no city with LARGE numbers of Cubans living alongside large numbers of Puerto Ricans, so less cultural exposure/interaction on the US mainland.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_in_DR View Post
yall getting off topic Cono. Puerto Ricans are more similar to Dominicans than Cubans. Im Puerto Rican, I live in DR and travel to Cuba frequently.

San Juan= Santo Domingo and Havana
Eastern PR= Eastern DR (La Romana area) and Eastern Cuba (Santiago de Cuba)
West/Central PR= Cibao Valley DR and Western Cuba

It used to be PRs and Cubans, with Dominicans in their own world due to Haitian tension. But now PRs and Dominicans are much closer, while Cubans drifting apart due to the Communist atmosphere and now they are in their own world. Plus, DR and PR are neighboring islands and theres alot of travel between the 2, Puerto Rico being a US colony is desirable to Dominicans, and Dominican Republic being on its own is desirable for Ricans (like myself) who want to travel or live outside of US political limits while still being in a country very culturally/racially similar to my home Puerto Rico. Top that off, theres alot of interaction and exposure to each other, between Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in northeast cities like New York, Boston, and Philly. Aside from Miami, there is no city with LARGE numbers of Cubans living alongside large numbers of Puerto Ricans, so less cultural exposure/interaction on the US mainland.
I think all 3 groups have become intertwined personally. Personally, I think Santo Domingo has more in common with Santiago de Cuba than Havana for a number of reasons.

Southern DR, Eastern Cuba, and Eastern Puerto Rico are very similar to each other.
Central Cibao, Western PR, and Western Cuba are very similar.

Also, PR's live alongside Cubans in Central Florida and parts of Hudson County in New Jersey.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
OP needed to add Venezuela and Panama to the list. The cultural similarities between these two countries and the insular Spanish Caribbean is striking.

If the Caribbean coast of Colombia was an independent country, it too could be added. These places feel more like regions of a single country than five different countries plus a region of Colombia.
That's interesting. Panama is a puzzling place to me though. When I see pictures of Panama City, I see a population of people that does look more like Cuba/DR/Cartegena....i.e., Panama has more african-blood mixed in there, by appearance than they are stated statistically.

Statistically Panama is very MESTIZO...something like 60%+ Mestizo....but it doesn't seem right. I wonder if they just identify with that and click that box? But they seem like they have a lot more African genetics mixed in to me than other Mestizo-dominant countries.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Probably DR. Just a guess though. The NYC connection. I think Cuba has a larger Black (not counting mulatto/ mixed) population which leads to a slightly different dynamic than the other two. Communist rule for decades which has obviously changed the culture of Cuba. They are all pretty similar but if you had to choose, I would say DR. Hopefully someone more familiar with these cultures can chime in.
Would Black Cubans self-identify themselves first and foremost as 'Cuban' or 'African-Cuban'?

Usually I notice Dominicans see themselves as Dominicans first and foremost (probably partly because they are such a mix). Whereas African-Ecuadorians for example, might identify more with their African roots for various reasons.

Not sure about Cuba with that...I'm a bit curious.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Damn her accent and "lingo" are annoying as ****.
Yup. She's been very Americanized.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's interesting. Panama is a puzzling place to me though. When I see pictures of Panama City, I see a population of people that does look more like Cuba/DR/Cartegena....i.e., Panama has more african-blood mixed in there, by appearance than they are stated statistically.

Statistically Panama is very MESTIZO...something like 60%+ Mestizo....but it doesn't seem right. I wonder if they just identify with that and click that box? But they seem like they have a lot more African genetics mixed in to me than other Mestizo-dominant countries.
I've been to Panama. I'd say half of the Mestizos there are technically Tri-racial(or at least more than 10% SSA), while the other half are legitimately Mestizo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas