Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM

622 posts, read 427,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
During the era of Colonial Spain, slavery of indigenous tribes was common. As the Spaniards expanded north into what is now AZ, NM and TX, they became in conflict with Apaches, Navajos, Comanches, and Kiowas who pushed them back. Captured indigenous women and children were often enslaved - but many often escaped successfully (albeit with mixed children due to rape). The repeated escapes led to the Spaniards' decision to send indigenous slaves from the southwest to Cuba. I am Native American from rural AZ but worked in Miami, FL for a year. When I saw Cubans I often wondered if a very few had distant Native American ancestry traced to the Southwestern USA (Kiowa, Comanche, Navajo, or Apache). The Cubans did have indigenous slaves from what is now AZ, TX and NM. The Spanish-Indigenous War lasted about four hundreds of years from Coronado's Expedition (1500s) into the early 1900s. Some of the Cubans and Puerto Ricans definitely look part indigenous and at a minimum have some degree of Taino (or other indigenous) ancestry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanc...%93Mexico_Wars

Not really, anybody with amerindian ancestry, very scarce, come from Yucatan and Guajira peninsula slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It would be interesting to see one of those genetic tests for Panama, much like I've seen for DR, Cuba, and the like. They always seem so much a part of that Cuba, DR, PR, northern Colombia sphere...
Why Americans are always so obsessed with race?

Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
Why Americans are always so obsessed with race?
Because it is an extremely genetically-mixed nation.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:51 AM

Cuba is no different, but the country is older and Catholic.
The genetical base of Cuba is reduced to Canary island, a few valleys in Northern Spain, Galicia and a few African tribes, so all Cuban can be spotted no matter the colour.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Quote:
Cuba is no different, but the country is older and Catholic.
The genetical base of Cuba is reduced to Canary island, a few valleys in Northern Spain, Galicia and a few African tribes, so all Cuban can be spotted no matter the colour.
Would you say Cuba is mainly multi-racial these days? That's the impression I got going there. Lots of Pardo and North African(Moroccan, Algerian, etc.) looking people there on top of whites and blacks.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM

You have never been there.
De0pends on the region.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:00 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Quote:
You have never been there.
De0pends on the region.
Yes I have. I even have YouTube videos of myself in Cuba that I've posted on another forum.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 AM

91 posts, read 79,350 times
Cubans tend to have larger numbers of pure blooded whites and blacks than the other 2. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are both mostly mixed race, tho mixed race Puerto Rican are slightly more European, while mixed race Dominicans are slightly more African. Both having high Taino admixture being 'tri-racial', compared to mixed race Cubans who are usually more'mulatto'. It should be noted that Cuba and Puerto Rico were the "blackest" Spanish colonies historically. in the 1800s, Spain started whitening these 2, being Spain's last remaining colonies, started imposing laws like Royal Decree of Graces of 1815 (mostly Cuba, but PR too) encouraging white european non-spanish immigration, and Regla de Sacar (only PR) the opposite of USA one drop rule, also under US rule around 1930s USA experimented its first birth control pills effectively steriziling hundreds of thousands of non white Puerto Rican women. DR got slightly darker from repeated Haitian invasions (going from light multiracial to dark multiracial), in PR and Cuba it was the opposite going from dark multiracial to light multiracial. But these islands were always predominately mixed (since atleast the 1600s) due to the nature of the type of slavery Spain had going on, they were "easier" on their slaves compared to the English and French, and encouraged alot of miscegenation (race mixing, integration.)

Going by genetics, not self identification
Cubans
55% White
30% Mixed race
15% Black

Puerto Ricans
75% Mixed race
20% White
5% Black

Dominicans
80% Mixed race
15% Black
5% White

Culturally, all 3 are alike, all 3 are Spanish Caribbean, similar (or even exactly the same sometimes) food, music, accent/slang, cultural customs. Tho, Cubans are more secluded due to the communist atmosphere of Cuba and their settlement in the US (mostly in Miami). Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are more spread out and can found in various cities mostly in the Northeast and some in Florida, usually in the same neighborhoods. On the other hand, many stateside PR families been here for generations and decades, and basically have a similar demenour to American Blacks and ethnic whites (Italians, Irish, Jews), while Dominicans in the US are more recent and tend to hold onto their traditional Caribbean Latino culture much more.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Yes I have. I even have YouTube videos of myself in Cuba that I've posted on another forum.
I'd like to see those. You could even Private Message me. I love YouTube videos of Cuba.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post

Going by genetics, not self identification
Cubans
55% White
30% Mixed race
15% Black

Puerto Ricans
75% Mixed race
20% White
5% Black

Dominicans
80% Mixed race
15% Black
5% White

I have read that Puerto Ricans also have to the highest remaining amount of Indigenous dna mix of the three Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas