Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM

321 posts, read 333,769 times

Advertisements

Contact between Santa Marta and the Antilles is non-existent. This city has got nothing to do with Panama, Dominican Republic or Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Hmm... From the day this thread was created I already knew at a certain point I was going to have to post this. City-Data never fails. LOL

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

Reconstructing the Population Genetic History of the Caribbean

Unravelling the hidden ancestry of American admixed populations

History Shaped the Geographic Distribution of Genomic Admixture on the Island of Puerto Rico

People can think whatever they want, but at least the genetic studies are clear on this.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Contact between Santa Marta and the Antilles is non-existent. This city has got nothing to do with Panama, Dominican Republic or Cuba.
Oh please, go back to your ivory tower in Rodadero..."the Antilles" is not just one thing and don't tell me Santa Marta has nothing to do with Aruba because I know a lot of Samarios that have connections to Aruba.

Also don't act like there's no Champeta in Santa Marta - ok so Champeta is direct from Africa in the 80's but it still ties in with other zouk movements in the region. Of course there are other influences from the local indigenous culture and Europe & Colombian interior but that's the same across the Antilles. Each country/territory has its own flavour & micro-history but there are connections.

El Pibe's (Carlos Valderrama's) daughter...

Pico in Santa Marta

The Samario accent although not the same as in the islands, has clear similarities.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-01-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Famous Samarios

Famous Samarios
Carlos Vives, Olga Vives (Ventino), Li Saumet (Bomba Estereo), L'Omy, Taliana Vargas (Miss Colombia 2008), Carlos 'El Pibe' Valderrama, Radamel Falcao and although not Santa Marta propper but from the same state, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

MISS UNIVERSE 2008 by thaimiss_wisavej, on Flickr
Carlos Valderrama (Colombia) by Sporting Innovations, on Flickr

CARLOS VIVES EN SUDAMÉRICA by Labluestar, on Flickr
Bomba Estéreo (Liliana Saumet) by Oz Villanueva, on Flickr

Olga Vives, on Pictame
L'Omy se puso en los zapatos de los Refugiados y Desplazados, y dio el primer paso para entender su situación by UNHCR/ACNUR Américas, on Flickr

Radamel Falcao by Cris Ronaldo, on Flickr
Shakira & Gabriel Garcia Marquez by jonathan criollo, on Flickr

Also baseball is not exactly played anywhere else in Colombia apart from the Caribbean coast, including Santa Marta!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:29 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Santa Marta is the oldest city in Colombia and was founded in the 1500's by Rodrigo de Bastidas.

His house in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic still stands on Calle Las Damas, next to Fortaleza Ozama. Today it's home to this children's museum:

It's right there in the circle, the house with the red (Spanish tiles) roof and a large tropical garden in the center. When in 1620 the Pylgrims arrived at Massachussetts, this house in Santo Domingo was already over 100 years old.

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.4695.../data=!3m1!1e3

In a way it could be said that Santa Marta is Santo Domingo's daughter. LOL

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be surprised if through DNA testing in the future it's found that many Dominicans and Colombians from the Santa Marta area are distant cousins due to having, and not knowing that, Rodrigo de Bastidas (or of anyone that went with him from Santo Domingo to found Santa Marta) as a common ancestor. You just never know what secrets lie in the blood of these people. In addition, due to widespread mixing, these descendants can look like anything, white, black, or with any inbetween combination of features imaginable.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-01-2018 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Santa Marta is the oldest European city in Colombia and was founded in the 1500's by Rodrigo de Bastidas.

His house in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic still stands on Calle Las Damas, next to Fortaleza Ozama. Today it's home to this children's museum:
Brilliant info Unfortunately a lot of ignorant people don't even know where their city's founder came from... Santo Domingo!

Also I believe Santa Marta is actually the oldest surviving European town in the whole of South America because the oldest, Santa Maria del Antiguo Darien (also in Colombia) no longer has settlers and Cumaná was destroyed and moved whereas in Santa Marta you still have the oldest European building 'Casa de la Aduana' and oldest church 'La Catedral' on the South American continent still standing.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Here's some videos of Dominicans from Santo Domingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057XAii6TQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1w1Gai1ZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x62lixXYcJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YWdPApGRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxL2rSC9Tsw

Dominicans might be "blacker" on average or whatever but they still fall within the same range of Cubans and PR's. All the videos I posted show the full range/diversity of Dominican phenotypes in their capital city, Santo Domingo. All of them were popular videos and not the least bit cherry picked.

Cuba and PR having a higher percentage of whites(35% for PR and 30% for Cuba) doesn't make that huge of a difference even though I agree PR's and Cubans are more similar genetically in that regard.

That's why I'm confused by what the OP meant by similar. Did he mean genetically, historically, culturally, musically, etc.? Genetically, it's a no brainer but, as far as culture goes, that's very debatable.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Here's some videos of Dominicans from Santo Domingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057XAii6TQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1w1Gai1ZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x62lixXYcJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YWdPApGRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxL2rSC9Tsw

Dominicans might be "blacker" on average or whatever but they still fall within the same range of Cubans and PR's. All the videos I posted show the full range/diversity of Dominican phenotypes in their capital city, Santo Domingo. All of them were popular videos and not the least bit cherry picked.

Cuba and PR having a higher percentage of whites(35% for PR and 30% for Cuba) doesn't make that huge of a difference even though I agree PR's and Cubans are more similar genetically in that regard.

That's why I'm confused by what the OP meant by similar. Did he mean genetically, historically, culturally, musically, etc.? Genetically, it's a no brainer but, as far as culture goes, that's very debatable.
Yes Santo Domingo as well as major cities in general tend to be more cosmopolitan in comparison to the rest of the country so you will see a variance there in terms of skin color and race. Add to that, a lot of Haitian immigrants and maybe even some immigrants or expatriates from Asia, the Middle East, and Europe also live in the capital.

I was talking about more about cultural similarities. For example, in terms of gender roles, who is similar to Puerto Ricans-Cubans or Dominicans?

Also where do you get the information that 35 percent of PR is white? I have tried numerous times to find out what the true percentage of full whites is for Puerto Ricans on the internet is but I can never find that info.

Which really brings me to another point. Why does someone have to be 100% white to be considered white?

the average African American is only 60% black but we consider them to be black.

Heck, I am only half Puerto Rican yet I consider myself Puerto Rican and so do other Puerto Ricans. And I do not even look that Puerto Rican to begin with.

I feel the one drop rule is a product of colonialism. This is 2018, can't we get rid of it and let people decide what they race they want to identify as, as long as maybe they are at least a quarter of that race? I don't know what percentage you would have to be but it is just an example. Transgenders can say what gender they want to identify with, can't we do the same with race, as long as you at least have some of it in your blood?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Which really brings me to another point. Why does someone have to be 100% white to be considered white?

the average African American is only 60% black but we consider them to be black.

Heck, I am only half Puerto Rican yet I consider myself Puerto Rican and so do other Puerto Ricans. And I do not even look that Puerto Rican to begin with.

I feel the one drop rule is a product of colonialism.
Correction. A product of US colonialism.

You're talking about the US & the US only dude. In Latin America the opposite is true, "one drop" of white and you're "white". Ok so that's not entirely true but in a simplistic explanation there is truth to that statement.

The US is a bubble. The world doesn't follow the USA's view on things.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Yes Santo Domingo as well as major cities in general tend to be more cosmopolitan in comparison to the rest of the country so you will see a variance there in terms of skin color and race. Add to that, a lot of Haitian immigrants and maybe even some immigrants or expatriates from Asia, the Middle East, and Europe also live in the capital.

I was talking about more about cultural similarities. For example, in terms of gender roles, who is similar to Puerto Ricans-Cubans or Dominicans?

Also where do you get the information that 35 percent of PR is white? I have tried numerous times to find out what the true percentage of full whites is for Puerto Ricans on the internet is but I can never find that info.

I feel the one drop rule is a product of colonialism. This is 2018, can't we get rid of it and let people decide what they race they want to identify as, as long as maybe they are at least a quarter of that race? Transgenders can say what gender they want to identify with, can't we do the same with race, as long as you at least have some of it in your blood?
Well, mostly genetic studies. And I actually believe anyone who's 80% or more Caucasian/European is white so my standards are pretty loose.

The thing is: The average PR is genetically similar to the average Pardo Brazilian or Cartagena Colombian. Majority European but still mixed with black and Amerindian ancestry. I'd say only a third of PR's(maybe less) are 80% or more is white.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5400727/

According to this, the avr. for PR is 56% - 57% European/Caucasian, 28% African, and 15% - 16% Amerindian.

I've seen other studies put the average PR at 65% European/Caucasian tops.

That's basically tri-racial or mixed race. I mean...I guess it depends on the definition.

The average pardo Brazilian has similar admixture according to this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040205/

According to this, the average "brown" or Pardo Brazilian in Rio De Janeiro is 68% European/Caucasian on average which is more than the avr. PR.

So, in Brazil, the average PR is Pardo/brown as opposed to white, even though whites have a sizable presence in PR. It's all relative though I guess.

Cuba, however, has much purer whites than both PR and DR, but a lot of them have fled and after staying in Cuba for a whole month, I'd say Cuba is 30% white tops with the rest being mulatto, black, and Asian(Chinese.)

It's all relative though. "White" and "black" are very subjective terms and not everyone's going to have the same definition. I think 80% or more Caucasian(European/Middle Eastern ancestry) is white personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas