Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 06:16 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maracucho View Post
I think it's mostly Americans that do this. They base Latin American demographics based on what they see or experience in their own localities. They don't or can't comprehend that Latin America is a region composed of various countries with their own respective dynamics.
LMAO......of course. Americans spread everything. Latin America just one country with one President, one type of food, one major airport to fly into, etc.

Hell, the Americans believe even their country is one big state. Sub Cultures not differerent from state to state. One main food, all music the same, same dialect, etc.

Those damn Americans!!!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:48 AM

169 posts, read 170,670 times
Reading some of these comments you can tell they get their worldview from Hollywood and others are very "aspirational".

Old 04-14-2021, 02:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
I think it's mostly Americans that do this. They base Latin American demographics based on what they see or experience in their own localities. They don't or can't comprehend that Latin America is a region composed of various countries with their own respective dynamics.
This whole topic of race in Colombia came when black empowerment groups in Colombia tired of being treated like garbage and raised their issues in international programs. The conversation about this came from COLOMBIANS!

Your average American has no idea that there are blacks in Colombia because we almost never see evidence of them. This tactic of blaming all conversations of racism in Latin America on Americans is dishonest and designed to intimidate black Latin Americans. It doesnt seem to be working.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ilia-...10459572885518

She has spoken much about the racism that she faced in Colombia, and what being a black Colombian meant. This is a relatively young woman so we are talking about Colombia in the 80s and 90s, not in the 50s and 60s.

There was a time when discussions of racism/colorism could have been stomped out but now much less so. Not when black Latin Americans remain at the bottom and have witnessed the rise of a visible upper middle class black American population.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Reading some of these comments you can tell they get their worldview from Hollywood and others are very "aspirational".
As far as most Americans are concerned Colombians look like Shakira. To most a black Colombian is as likely as a black Italian.

Many Latin Americans arrive in cities like NYC and are shocked that its a nonwhite city. Their images of the USA are also shaped by Hollywood.

The good news is that one sees way more images of successful blacks in the USA than one will see in most Latin American nations. DR being the exception because, despite what they might claim, its a fairly black country (blacker than Trinidad), so clearly it would be harder to exclude.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Yes but today exist Google, internet. The history, culture, demographics of all countries in internet. A lot of latinos in YouTube. In 5 seconds in Google the history of all countries. Wikipedia articles.
Too lazy to study...
No its more entertaining to see white Latin Americans wailing at all the images of their black fellow countrymen that are seen on international media. They think that its an extremely negative look to see all of these negroes being portrayed when they would prefer to see the blondes. Wiki cannot entertain us the way that you can.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Your average American has no idea that there are blacks in Colombia because we almost never see evidence of them. This tactic of blaming all conversations of racism in Latin America on Americans is dishonest and designed to intimidate black Latin Americans. It doesnt seem to be working.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ilia-...10459572885518

She has spoken much about the racism that she faced in Colombia, and what being a black Colombian meant. This is a relatively young woman so we are talking about Colombia in the 80s and 90s, not in the 50s and 60s.
To be fair many US-Americans are ignorant of the wider world. Even in the late 90's, early 2000's when I spent a lot of time Stateside black people would exclaim to me, "There are black and Latino people in the UK!?" Said in almost utter dismay. I was like yes and there are even black Latinos to which many anwered, "what? Latinos ain't black", to which my answee was you do know Lisa Left Eye Lopes and Christina Milian are Black Latinas right? Both concepts seemed so alien.

Whilst representation has a long way to go in many Latin American countries the high exposure of US-Americans opaques that of other black minorities in other countries. There's substantial black representation from Colombia that has little hope of penetrating outside markets. Even Africans have a hard time, most black US-Americans would struggle to name 5 countries in Africa. Afrobeat and its predecessors is only just making waves in the US market yet its still bigger in the UK and France and even before UK/France it was big in Colombia' Caribbean region.

Even Tino Asprilla and Valderrama were big names from Colombia in the 90's in the UK.

The reasoning here is far more complex and US-American centric lense is not condusive to all analysis, although the civil rights movement and consequent wealth creation of the black community in the United States has served as inspiration to other minority communities accross the world. That cannot be understated.

Also I read the whole report and it concentrates mainly on the reporter's experience in the States. Univision is a Mexican-American founded network based in the States. If you're going to post something re:Colombia best to not use Univision or Telesur like you've done in the past. Your US-centric lense has always been troublesome in these forums.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
To be fair many US-Americans are ignorant of the wider world. Even in the late 90's, early 2000's when I spent a lot of time Stateside black people would exclaim to me, "There are black and Latino people in the UK!?" Said in almost utter dismay. I was like yes and there are even black Latinos to which many anwered, "what? Latinos ain't black", to which my answee was you do know Lisa Left Eye Lopes and Christina Milian are Black Latinas right? Both concepts seemed so alien.

Whilst representation has a long way to go in many Latin American countries the high exposure of US-Americans opaques that of other black minorities in other countries. There's substantial black representation from Colombia that has little hope of penetrating outside markets. Even Africans have a hard time, most black US-Americans would struggle to name 5 countries in Africa. Afrobeat and its predecessors is only just making waves in the US market yet its still bigger in the UK and France and even before UK/France it was big in Colombia' Caribbean region.

Even Tino Asprilla and Valderrama were big names from Colombia in the 90's in the UK.

The reasoning here is far more complex and US-American centric lense is not condusive to all analysis, although the civil rights movement and consequent wealth creation of the black community in the United States has served as inspiration to other minority communities accross the world. That cannot be understated.

Also I read the whole report and it concentrates mainly on the reporter's experience in the States. Univision is a Mexican-American founded network based in the States. If you're going to post something re:Colombia best to not use Univision or Telesur like you've done in the past. Your US-centric lense has always been troublesome in these forums.
Why will Americans listen to other genres when they crush the world scene. Go anywhere in the world and US influence is apparent, and often dominant. Behind the US its Jamaican, as the new popularity of Reggaeton shows. Doubt that Jamaicans have the vaguest interest in Colombian music either.

https://www.huckmag.com/perspectives...-trend-racism/

Colombian blacks protesting against racism in that nation. Bet that wouldnt have happened 30 years ago.

Stop worrying about Americans and start worrying about the uphill battle that Latin American blacks need to fight. They face a barrage of intimidation from folks like you who try to divert the conversation to US racism, or to claim that racism in Latin America is trivial. Did the black Latinas who you mention owe their rise to English or Spanish language programming? I think that you made my point.

Yes Colombia has now joined Brazil in developing assertive civil rights movements aimed at improving conditions for blacks, and forcing the mainstream to allow them opportunity. Thanks to the black American civil rights and empowerment struggles that they have been heavily inspired by Yes I know about that little land deal in Choco and how hundreds of thousands of blacks had to flee because the various Colombian elites were in concert with those who wished to push these people off their lands.

10% of Colombians fall within some Afro descendant categorization, possibly more but of course in a nation where being "black" is stigmatized many avoid this. In the USA its 13% who self identify as black. While BLM protestors are in the streets in the USA there are powerful voices of the black elite ensuring that at least the black upper middle class are accommodated. Any thing like that in Colombia, because you know full well that the face of the upper middle class in Colombia usually excludes that of a black person in the way that it increasingly does NOT in the USA.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/univisi...ce-complained/

https://raceandethnicity.org/exhibit...es-in-spanish-

He was fired for making bigoted comments about Michelle Obama. Univision, fearful of backlash from black elites fired him right away. Mean while in Colombia and elsewhere "black face" is still allowed, as well as comedic shows lampooning blacks as stupid. Kind of what we saw on US TV in the 50s.

Looking forward to you showing us all of the black Colombian media barons who are in that country. Colombia does have a well developed media. Heck even I have watched some of it on Netflix.

Last edited by caribny; 04-15-2021 at 02:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why will Americans listen to other genres when they crush the world scene. Go anywhere in the world and US influence is apparent, and often dominant. .
Yes you are correct and it is a shame. Most music on the radio is pretty much trash these days and a really bad influence on young people. It is a reflection of degradation on society as much of it promotes materialism, promiscuity, drug use and glorifies crime.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes you are correct and it is a shame. Most music on the radio is pretty much trash these days and a really bad influence on young people. It is a reflection of degradation on society as much of it promotes materialism, promiscuity, drug use and glorifies crime.
I happen to agree with you. I think that even the young know this as they seem quite familiar with music from the 70s. Its really sad what poison the music industry is peddling because there is quality music out there that they ignore.

And what is sad is that it isnt just US music.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
OK so we will post pictures of people will blonde hair and blue eyes and then claim that this is your average Latin America. Will that make you relax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas