Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM

321 posts, read 334,035 times

Advertisements

Chileans are the descendants of the Incas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
1) Those percentages are not based on (self perception, really?), Who said that ?.,. Those are based on some research and studies, even you posted a chart similar to mine
just by seeing the percentages, you can tell it's "race" self report/self perception. No genetic study would show the percentages in terms of "pure" races (% of Whites, % of Blacks etc). The number of 37% of Whites for Colombia is definitely from 2005 National Census, I'm pretty sure the figures for the other countries are from national surveys too.

Quote:
2) most countries in the Americas are (mestizo) or (mix) Including the USA , what caughts my attention is you pointing out that Chile (in particular) is more mestizo than other countries
because Argentina and, especially, Uruguay, still have a large % of White population, but Chile is a different case.

I never understood why so many people outside of LatAm assume that Chile and Argentina are some kind of twin countries, when in reality they are very different in almost every aspect.

Just a few days ago someone asked Uruguayans in Reddit how close they feel to Chile and Argentina. As you can see, they replied that they feel close to Argentina but not to Chile, and feel closer to South Brazil or even Paraguay than to Chile: https://www.reddit.com/r/asklatiname...ina_and_chile/

Quote:
3) I do not think being native American is being inferior , but its well known countries that indeed try to whiten themselves are (Mexico and Peru ) because (they are in fact ) mestizo/native majorities . Never heard of Chile pressuming about their (whiteness) .
from the data you posted, you can tell that the majority of Mexicans and Peruvians don't declare themselves as White, but Cubans, Paraguayans or Chileans do.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes but that's not the message the OP is trying to pedal, don't you see?
Of course I see it, which is why we need to call them out on it.

Let's make it clear: race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether a country is prosperous. Prosperity depends on how well its government functions.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:02 PM

491 posts, read 753,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Chileans are the descendants of the Incas.
I think in the most northern part, the natives have inca in them, right? Some mapuches and europeans would not agree with you.

Last edited by MrPilot; 05-21-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 PM

491 posts, read 753,690 times
Quote:
Are you really swedish ?
yes, we can have video skype call if you want.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
I think in the most northern part, the natives have inca in them, right? Some mapuches and europeans would not agree with you.
Actually it was recently discovered that Santiago was built upon Incan ruins so the empire stretched further south than once thought.

https://www.ancient-origins.es/notic...ad-inca-003632

Further south they're undoubtedly more Mapuche.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM

149 posts, read 97,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
just by seeing the percentages, you can tell it's "race" self report/self perception. No genetic study would show the percentages in terms of "pure" races (% of Whites, % of Blacks etc). The number of 37% of Whites for Colombia is definitely from 2005 National Census, I'm pretty sure the figures for the other countries are from national surveys too.

because Argentina and, especially, Uruguay, still have a large % of White population, but Chile is a different case.

I never understood why so many people outside of LatAm assume that Chile and Argentina are some kind of twin countries, when in reality they are very different in almost every aspect.

Just a few days ago someone asked Uruguayans in Reddit how close they feel to Chile and Argentina. As you can see, they replied that they feel close to Argentina but not to Chile, and feel closer to South Brazil or even Paraguay than to Chile: https://www.reddit.com/r/asklatiname...ina_and_chile/

from the data you posted, you can tell that the majority of Mexicans and Peruvians don't declare themselves as White, but Cubans, Paraguayans or Chileans do.
1) no genetic study would show specific percentage of any race ???? . (That's the whole point!!!!!!!) Of course it will Harry !!.. have you heard of things such my heritage dna.com and stuff ???. in the USA is very popular

2) most countries in Latin America do not enumerate their population by race or ethnicity. (Some do like brazil but not until recently). (How you gonna come up with percentages about race when their priorities is just to enumerate the population ???) Latino countries don't perceive race like in the USA (in Latino America what you see is what you get ). If you have light skin youre white regardless of your dna composition!!..

3) reality is a ***** , to be white in Mexico or Peru it's gotta be the (blond/brunnete/pure European gringo type ). I don't think most peruvians or Mexicans see themselves like that . People from the southern cone have a lighter skin in general because of the more temperate climate

Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
yes, we can have video skype call if you want.
Lol, tempting

Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Of course I see it, which is why we need to call them out on it.

Let's make it clear: race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether a country is prosperous. Prosperity depends on how well its government functions.
(Mmm)
European countries developed hundreds of years prior to eastern asian countries like China or Japan . In the Arab world , Saudi Arabia is leading as a high income country but it's still very recent. India, South East Asia, Africa and Latin America as a whole are still wayyy behind countries that had a strong European influence like the USA , Canada, Australia , New Zealand . (Argentina Chile and South Africa )are still not fully considered 1st world countries but they are still the most prosperous nations in their respective regions

Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
(Mmm)
European countries developed hundreds of years prior to eastern asian countries like China or Japan .
Actually Europe and China/Japan were more or less on equal footing from the 15th to 18th century. It was only with colonisation that Europe took the upper hand. China or Japan didn't plunder the world for riches instead Europe tried very hard to conquer China and Japan only achieving footholds in Hong Kong and Macao. It wasn't until the British Industrial revolution that Europe & "the West" took the upper hand but after two World Wars and the Korean War, the East caught up quickly and shows no major signs of slowing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas