Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 AM
aax aax started this thread

710 posts, read 499,144 times

Advertisements

What's going on? Serial killer?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...epublic-resort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Good question!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
This thread should be in The Americas forum.

On the other hand, they should have the answers for the few Americans that die out of millions of tourist so far this year. So far for what goes of the year (almost half is gone) they have 5 Americans out of over 2 million tourists in most of the first half of the year.

I don’t think there is an issue with tourist, just the media focusing in that country for a few weeks. I don’t think the numbers are different in other islands vis-a-vis their tourist numbers. That island also gets much tourist from Europe and Latin America, unlike most islands that depends overwhelmingly on Americans.

With that said, the vast majority of tourists stay in Punta Cana. There they have over 50 resorts. Then there are another 7 or 8 international destinations on that island, each with top rate hotels and resorts too.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:47 AM

I forgot to say that 1% of 2 million that have vacation on the island so far is just 20,000; and we are talking of 5 Americans in the same half of a year. I still think a person has greater chances of being struck by lightning.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
My best guess is tainted alcohol. Resort workers are stealing the alcohol to resell or for their own personal use and they are replacing it with illegally stilled stuff containing toxic items (this is a big problem in the Dominican Republic).

That said, I do find it strange that only Americans seem to be impacted. I have yet to find any news articles about deaths of non-American tourists, even if Americans account for most of the DR tourism you would still expect to find at least a few reports of deaths or sickness among non-Americans.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Americans tend to visit hotel chains that are Americans or resorts that for some reason became popular with Americans. Europeans and Latin Americans are much more likely to stay in any type of resorts. For example, you will find mostly Americans at the Hard Rock Resort, but mostly Spaniards and other Europeans at the Melia Paradisus Resort or whatever is called. More Americans at the Westin Punta Cana and more of an international clientele at the Club Med Punta Cana. These resorts are usually side-by-side each other. One filled with Americans, another by Spaniards, another by Latin Americans, another is a mix, etc. On major Dominican holidays you have an avalanche of mostly middle class Dominicans invading many resorts too. There is an issue with resorts frequented by Europeans because the women tend to sunbathe topless, which is an issue for Americans, Canadians, and even Dominicans.

Only about 2 or 3 resorts show a problem for a handful of Americans (and it is a handful) out of 80 or 90 resorts in the country (most are owned by Spaniards and are Spanish chains.) Its really a non-issue that the media is focusing on for a couple of weeks.

So far over 890,000 (counting Dominicans which so far makes up more than 300,000) visit the country between Jan and Apr of this year, out of a total of 2.4 million tourists in those months. The Dominicans are traveling there no matter what and most are not staying at resorts, so Americans is closer to 500,000. The media is focusing on 5 American tourist so far. Annually some 18 to 20 tourists die in that country for some reason, most existing medical conditions. It really isn’t different from other islands. Its a joke when you think about it.

https://bcrdgdcprod.blob.core.window...encia_2019.xls

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-15-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
So these deaths are not out of the ordinary and we’re experiencing a media-generated panic?

Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So these deaths are not out of the ordinary and we’re experiencing a media-generated panic?
Basically that’s what it is. In the DR people are convinced that some rival countries in tourism are behind the media focus, but I don’t believe it. Most likely its the media focusing for a few weeks. They found several stories that attract attention and are going with it until some new story takes over.

I hear Fox even send a team to Santo Domingo for a live special report. The journalists din’t seen in a hurry to head back to the USA. They are staying in nice hotels in the city, eating at top rank restaurants (some of these journalists are seen relaxing in these places a d enjoying the view and the people/entertainment), getting driven to different places, and even many are visiting the sights all while being paid. lol They devote some time to their work, but have plenty of paid free time. Many will probably be back with their families for a real vacation now that they see in person what its really like to be there. Plus, their kids must also see many of the sights, which in the city are historic to everyone in this hemisphere. You would think they are afraid staying inside the hotel, but reality is something else.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
My guess: not serial killer, not tainted alcohol (because some of the deaths are attributed to bleach). It's probably a few disgruntled locals who aren't happy with gringos.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My guess: not serial killer, not tainted alcohol (because some of the deaths are attributed to bleach). It's probably a few disgruntled locals who aren't happy with gringos.
The DR is in general pro-US, a little too much if you ask me. They take it to another level. There is a small minority that is anti-US, but they take their anger on the US government than in the people. They are also marxist types and talk about “the imperialist.” I don’t think they are to blame, but there is a small chance they could be.

Some aspects of Dominican history are anti-USA and its always a respond to an American invasion. For example, this merengue típico talks about the American invasion of 1916. It’s one of the most anti-US merengue típico, but its also from the 1970’s or 1980’s.

That’s the original one, but it is played by other singers and amateurs too. They sing it more out of tradition than anything else. That song is very pro-DR too. The basic message of that song is that the Yankees (aka USA) can never govern in that land. It also says something about Dominicans and the machetes. Some people in the second video even dance to that song.

Here is the American flag flying over the Torre del Homenaje in Santo Domingo. That’s the only Medieval tower built by the Spanish in the early 1500’s in the Western Hemisphere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...916%E2%80%9324)

Torre del Homenaje today (the bombings destroyed a small part of the tower.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/enjportal/8494222283/

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-18-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas