Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

The most stunning place (but challenging) to drive will undoubtedly be Colombia. The country is dissected from North to South by 3 huge Andean mountain ranges that span an area equal to the entire country of Italy and cut by 2 top 100 longest rivers in the world creating canyons and valleys galore. There's also been a major overhaul of the highway system, Colombia has 8 of the top 10 longest tunnels in Latin America and growing. Due to the immensity of the topography though there are still many rural towns and villages that are out of the way of the main highway network but nearly all of Colombia's 52 100k+ cities are connected by decent roads.

English proficiency is low however and if you're not used to driving mountain roads i.e. Colorado or Alps it will be a challenge.

This is the relief of the road nertwork from extreme south-west to extreme north-east in metres above sea level...

Colombia Relieve by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 06:08 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Now I get why I kept saying qué calor tan HP when I was in Cúcuta haha...good breeze there though, most of the time.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
WOW....!!!!!! I thought Puerto Rico's mountains were high.......!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
WOW....!!!!!! I thought Puerto Rico's mountains were high.......!!!!!!
The tallest mountain in the Caribbean is Pico Duarte in the Dominican Republic at over 3,000 m (over 10,000 feet).

Highest mountain in Jamaica is Blue Mountain Peak at over 2,200 m (over 7,200 feet). This shouldn't be confused as the second highest mountain in the Caribbean, that title belongs to Pico La Pelona in the Dominican Republic and is only 3 or 4 meters shorter than Pico Duarte which literally is its neighbor. I also think there are a few more peaks at Hispaniola that are higher than Jamaica's tallest mountain, including Pic La Selle which is the tallest mountain in Haiti at over 2,600 m (over 8,700 feet).

Highest mountain in Cuba is Pico Turquino at over 1,900 m (over 6,200 feet).

Tallest mountain in PR is Cerro de Punta at over 1,300 m (over 4,200 feet).

This is the scenery at one of the highest valleys in the Caribbean (Valle Nuevo in the middle of nowhere in Dominican Republic):

The redder it gets, the higher the elevation. Notice that in the Caribbean islands only on Hispaniola is the red colors really on display. In the USA itself a person needs to go to The Rocky Mountains to see anything higher than what exists on Hispaniola. The Appalachian Mountains that are in the northeast and somewhat inland of much of the southeast are too low to be rivals to mountain chains on that island.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...y_land_map.png

This is the tallest mountain in the Caribbean with a cable car ride to its summit, Pico Isabel de Torres in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic at over 700 m (over 2,600 feet).

Ironically, the lowest point in the Caribbean is also in the Dominican Republic and is at over 40 m (over 150 feet) below sea level.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-11-2019 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 PM

I´ve been up that cable car in Puerto Plata! Really good time.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
All three would be great, but Mexico will destroy the other two countries in English fluency, trust me.
All 3 would be great and safe to drive around the country through rural areas alone?

Old 12-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
All 3 would be great and safe to drive around the country through rural areas alone?
Do your homework...the answer varies greatly. To say "rural areas" in general and then put it as off limits or fair game is painting with too broad a brush. The Coffee Triangle outside of three small cities is plenty rural, and you´re now free to explore all on your own with no worries to speak of-- same goes when you´re on coastal roads in the Caribbean between cities...you can´t say the same about many other rural spots in Colombia, particularly in a lot of border areas.

México in particular seems to have a very fluid situation, although Guerrero, Sinaloa and many places near the border seem to be constantly in the news for stuff...other regions kind of come and go with violence. I think México is "safer" than the worst days of Calderón´s drug war, but not as safe as it was a few years ago with Peña Nieto...this is of course just an average assessment of a massive country where threats rise and fall.

I have no idea about Brazil. Is highway banditry a big thing? I haven´t a clue.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Do your homework...the answer varies greatly. To say "rural areas" in general and then put it as off limits or fair game is painting with too broad a brush. The Coffee Triangle outside of three small cities is plenty rural, and you´re now free to explore all on your own with no worries to speak of-- same goes when you´re on coastal roads in the Caribbean between cities...you can´t say the same about many other rural spots in Colombia, particularly in a lot of border areas.

México in particular seems to have a very fluid situation, although Guerrero, Sinaloa and many places near the border seem to be constantly in the news for stuff...other regions kind of come and go with violence. I think México is "safer" than the worst days of Calderón´s drug war, but not as safe as it was a few years ago with Peña Nieto...this is of course just an average assessment of a massive country where threats rise and fall.

I have no idea about Brazil. Is highway banditry a big thing? I haven´t a clue.

I'll just stay away from places where the safety situation changes month to month, thanks. I was curious about your reply because it seemed to imply that traveling alone in rural Mexico "would be great". Well I agree it would be great if it could be done safely. From what I have heard, it is not what I would call "safe".

Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 PM

220 posts, read 125,722 times
Colombia.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:18 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Mexico's toll roads are very safe, although you will pay for that with really high tolls. The free roads and some parts of the cities, not as much. Still, the threat of drug violence you hear about on the news is far lower to you than the threat to your safety driving on the roads, and even more as a pedestrian. Way too much drunk driving and super aggressive driving on the roads. Of course the same applies to the other countries too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas