Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:00 PM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Try it out and let us know how it went.

They tend to be shocked if anyone uses that word freely. Its almost as if they can't believe it that someone says it and not think much of it.
"Coño" around Mexicans?
Never noticed the shock and awe on their faces or the world coming to a full stop when used by Puerto Rican coworkers while I lived in Texas (San Antonio).
Never heard them (Mexicans/Tex-Mex) use the word either.

Topic is going off the rails.

Carry on.

Last edited by cholo57; 04-14-2020 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 06:09 PM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, Castillano and more present perfect instead of the preterite.

I don't notice the "zz" sounds more than and "s" sound and I speak with Spaniards on a regular basis.

But I assume by your nik that you're a native speaker.
Affirmative.
You are correct Sir.

Where I'm from, cholo has a different meaning than the one used/known in the U.S Southwest.

cho·lo = (in some parts of Latin America) a man of indigenous or partly indigenous ancestry.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:37 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
"Coño" around Mexicans?
Never noticed the shock and awe on their faces or the world coming to a full stop when used by Puerto Rican coworkers while I lived in Texas (San Antonio).
Never heard them (Mexicans/Tex-Mex) use the word either.

Topic is going off the rails.

Carry on.

Well, I certainly have in Mexico City with explanations and everything more than once.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
People from places like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Venezuela and a few others I can guarantee you had no problems with the malapalabroso aspects of many Spaniards.

Btw, coño doesn't have an accent. While it's very insulting in places such México or Perú and a few others (to the point that people avoid saying it as much as possible), in the places already mention plus Spain its often used more as an expression of frustration or surprise and is not as insulting or as much of a bad word, hence it's heard everywhere by random people. Often times people will have a normal conversation and let it out with not much thought or apprehension, but never say it in front of a Mexican because apparently the world stops right then and there. lol
Man when I lived in Puerto Rico, it seemed every other word was coño and cabrón...hardly ever used in the vulgar/insulting sense

Have you seen these two films from the Dominican Republic? I feel like they both do a good job of talking about real issues that many people have actually lived, but making you laugh in the process.

I was sad to hear that Balbuena passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P262mvbAJeA

When I stayed a month in El Cibao, I met a few "Sanky Pankys" on the beaches of Sosua and Cabarete. Super nice guys actually...many of them were multilingual. Maybe with the economy improving it´s not such a common occurance, but back in 2007 it was a normal part of life. Fausto Mata is a funny dude, I would like to find more movies with him. I saw "I love Bachata" but wasn´t as impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJQGSkONMHo

Old 04-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Man when I lived in Puerto Rico, it seemed every other word was coño and cabrón...hardly ever used in the vulgar/insulting sense

Have you seen these two films from the Dominican Republic? I feel like they both do a good job of talking about real issues that many people have actually lived, but making you laugh in the process.

I was sad to hear that Balbuena passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P262mvbAJeA

When I stayed a month in El Cibao, I met a few "Sanky Pankys" on the beaches of Sosua and Cabarete. Super nice guys actually...many of them were multilingual. Maybe with the economy improving it´s not such a common occurance, but back in 2007 it was a normal part of life. Fausto Mata is a funny dude, I would like to find more movies with him. I saw "I love Bachata" but wasn´t as impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJQGSkONMHo
I saw the first one when it came out in the '90s. The Dominican movie industry was still in its infancy back then, unlike now which produces many movies a year. They are shown in movie theaters of the DR, many in Puerto Rico too and select places in the eastern US. While not yet viewable in movie theater throughout the Spanish-speaking world, I think eventually it will grow to that level since that's the goal. International movies, especially from the USA, are also filmed in the DR, though few stories are set in a Dominican setting. Pinewood Studios outside Juan Dolio was the first international (British) movie producer to heavily invest in creating its own movie studios in the DR and attract many producers from the US that were looking for a quality cheaper alternative to film. There is also another international investor (forgot the company's name at the moment) that last year announced the creation of their own movie studios in the DR and with the intention of attracting Dominican and international movie producers. That project is still in the works and its suppose to be one of the globally biggest in the industry. People are already talking of the Dominican Hollywood, because the country has become in a few short years the principal movie producing place in all of the Central America & Caribbean region.

Around 15:20 on the first video they took a shot of Santo Domingo's skyline, which hardly existed back then since there were so few high-rises. That same view today is very different.

The second one is a more recent creation, but other than seeing parts of it I haven't seen it from beginning to end.

Here is a collection of photos of a group visit to Pinewoods Studios in the Dominican Republic.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
I saw the first one when it came out in the '90s. The Dominican movie industry was still in its infancy back then, unlike now which produces many movies a year. They are shown in movie theaters of the DR, many in Puerto Rico too and select places in the eastern US. While not yet viewable in movie theater throughout the Spanish-speaking world, I think eventually it will grow to that level since that's the goal. International movies, especially from the USA, are also filmed in the DR, though few stories are set in a Dominican setting. Pinewood Studios outside Juan Dolio was the first international (British) movie producer to heavily invest in creating its own movie studios in the DR and attract many producers from the US that were looking for a quality cheaper alternative to film. There is also another international investor (forgot the company's name at the moment) that last year announced the creation of their own movie studios in the DR and with the intention of attracting Dominican and international movie producers. That project is still in the works and its suppose to be one of the globally biggest in the industry. People are already talking of the Dominican Hollywood, because the country has become in a few short years the principal movie producing place in all of the Central America & Caribbean region.

Around 15:20 on the first video they took a shot of Santo Domingo's skyline, which hardly existed back then since there were so few high-rises. That same view today is very different.

The second one is a more recent creation, but other than seeing parts of it I haven't seen it from beginning to end.

Here is a collection of photos of a group visit to Pinewoods Studios in the Dominican Republic.
That´s really interesting, man. I didn´t know there were so many movies produced there. If I´m not mistaken, the helicopter waterfall scene of Jurassic Park was filmed in Jarabacoa, another gem of the Cibao that I was able to visit when I was there.

Nueba Yol had a good plot, but I think saying that the Dominican film the industry was in its infancy is a good way to describe the overall quality of production for the film.

Last edited by aab7855; 04-15-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
That´s really interesting, man. I didn´t know there were so many movies produced there. If I´m not mistaken, the helicopter waterfall scene of Jurassic Park was filmed in Jarabacoa, another gem of the Cibao that I was able to visit when I was there.

Nueba Yol had a good plot, but I think saying that the Dominican film the industry was in its infancy is a good way to describe the overall quality of production for the film.
Jurassic Park story is set for a small part in an amber mine in the Dominican Republic too. The DR is one of the largest producers of amber in the world (there is one European country that produces in the same league). That's part of the reason there is an amber museum in a very beautiful white house built by a German merchant in Puerto Plata. There are two other amber museums in Santo Domingo, one by the Parque Colón and another one in a house built in the 1500's a few blocks north from there.

This is the part of the Jurassic Park story that is based in the Dominican Republic.

Most foreign movies that are filmed in the DR don't have the DR in their stories. The Godfather 2 is one of the oldest one that was in part filmed in Santo Domingo when there was no Dominican movie industry at all. All the parts that in the story took place in La Habana was actually filmed in Santo Domingo.

Shots in Santo Domingo, but the story of The Godfather 2 was La Habana, Cuba. This scene at the top of a building was taken on the top floor of the El Embajador Hotel, still operating in Santo Domingo. Notice the "skyline" of the city in the background. Now the view is different, looks like a real metropolis. There are many street scenes from the Santo Domingo of the 1970's, but in the story its suppose to be La Habana. The scene where they are sitting at a long table welcoming the arrival to La Habana, it actually took place inside the National Palace of the Dominican Republic. In fact, the table and the chairs are real ones still exist in the palace and were there since the palace was inaugurated in the 1940's.. lol There is a scene in the movie (I think is not in the clip below) where the National Palace facade is shown but with a Cuban flag. At that time the National Palace was rented to film these scenes of the movie.

Here is another scene from Godfather 2 in "La Habana," but in reality was in Santo Domingo.

Here are other shots from The Godfather 2, but inside the National Palace of the Dominican Republic. They also show part of the facade too and other parts of Santo Domingo, including in front part of the facade of City Hall and of the monument nearby closer to the Caribbean Sea (where they show some fireworks). Again, in the story its suppose to be in La Habana.

Others much more recent foreign movies filmed in part in the Dominican Republic includes Apocalypse Now, Miami Vice, and a bunch of others too many to list (in part because I don't know them all off the top of my head).

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-15-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 AM

In this time of quarintine and plenty of free time, here are a few movies from the Dominican Republic.

Obviously they are in Spanish, so a person has to be a native speaker or have a good gradp of the language. They also have some Dominicanisms and some geographic knowledge of the Dominican Republic must be known to enjoy some parts of some of the movies. The visual quality of some of the movies is mediocre on Youtube, don't know why.

"¿Pa' qué yo me casé?" - I found this one to be very funny. Fausto Mata did a great job acting here.

"I Love Bachata" - Don't be fooled by the title in English, the movie is in Spanish. Bachata is a popular music genre from the Dominican Republic. Along with Merengue, this genre has been accepted by the wider Spanish-speaking world and now is of international fame. In some countries, such as Honduras, the popularity of Bachata is so great that people and radios play it even more than their local genres.

"Todo incluido" - Another funny movie. This one is about a group of professionals from Santo Domingo spending a few days in Punta Cana.

"Un macho de mujer"

"A robar el banco"

"Trópico de sangre" - A movie that deals with the Trujillo dictatorship of the Dominican Republic between 1930 and 1961.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:55 AM

A few more Dominican movies, definitely the last post with this option. With both posts a person can get an idea of the general qualities of movie productions by Dominican producers and mostly Dominican actors shown in movie theaters in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and in select markets on the eastern United States (NYC, Miami, etc). Obviously through international Spanish TV channels, Netflix types, and through Youtube the entire world has access to them as long that they have a good grasp of Spanish (especially Caribbean Spanish).

Right now the biggest production of locally focused movies (Central America and The Caribbean) is done in the Dominican Republic for having the biggest market for this type of consumption in the sub-region. Then international movie productions that are attracted to the Dominican Republic due to lower costs and the available infrastructure for this type of production, mostly from Hollywood, and the entire Dominican movie production industry is basically on display.

"Profe por accidente"

"Locas y atrapadas"

"Trabajo sucio"

"Sicario"

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-27-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 07:58 AM

274 posts, read 174,226 times
I highly recommend City of God (Cidade de Deus) if you haven't seen it yet. It's about the history of a particular favela in Rio de Janiero. Not even one of the best Latin american films I've seen, hands down one of movies I've seen.
I'd compare it as a Brazillian Goodfellas, in terms of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas