Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 11:44 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,967,679 times

Advertisements

I will be going to Belo Horizonte in April. Will be using it as a springboard for visiting Ouro Preto, Diamantina, and other old mining towns. Anyone been to Belo? What's it like? Brazils third largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 11:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
I found that whole area to be pretty ininteresting stops in a huge country that keeps on going forever. You see nothing on the all-day bus between cities, which look like Akron. But the old centers of some small cities are compact and pleasantly oldish. The equivalent of a US small town seems to be absent from Brazil.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,302 times
Belo is nice. If you have been to any other large Brazilian metro areas you will see it has a but of its own distinct flavo..like the other. Its not a beachy city like rio, even though they are in close proximity for the most part

Old 12-01-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Belo is nice. If you have been to any other large Brazilian metro areas you will see it has a but of its own distinct flavo..like the other. Its not a beachy city like rio, even though they are in close proximity for the most part
Thanks for the info. I'm using it to jump out to Ouro Preto, but Belo looks fairly nice. Will be staying in Lourdes area. Most of my trip will bring me to Rio for the 2nd time, and Sao Paulo for first time. My main concerns about Brazil are the high crime levels in its cities, but i lived in NYC for years when it was very unsafe.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:24 PM

16,720 posts, read 29,584,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I will be going to Belo Horizonte in April. Will be using it as a springboard for visiting Ouro Preto, Diamantina, and other old mining towns. Anyone been to Belo? What's it like? Brazils third largest city.
I like BH. For the large Brazilian cities, I think Belo Horizonte has the kindest and warmest citizens in the country - along with Goiania.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:52 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm using it to jump out to Ouro Preto, but Belo looks fairly nice. Will be staying in Lourdes area. Most of my trip will bring me to Rio for the 2nd time, and Sao Paulo for first time. My main concerns about Brazil are the high crime levels in its cities, but i lived in NYC for years when it was very unsafe.
Im from the states and live in Rio.....Belo vibe will be a smaller version of Sao Pauolo. Sao Pauolo is like NYC....major metropolis. That lifestyle there is very metro, unlike Rio where I am. Rio is more SoCal.....as far as crime, be careful in SP when out at night. Dont share drinks with any pretty girls. Rio, same thing...and be very aware on the beaches. And dont make a habit of walking around with your phone in your hand. Someone will snatch it in broad daylight. But overall, you should have a good time. 3 different cities with different vibes.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 AM

3,482 posts, read 2,819,514 times
Is there a Belo Verticale?

Old 12-02-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Im from the states and live in Rio.....Belo vibe will be a smaller version of Sao Pauolo. Sao Pauolo is like NYC....major metropolis. That lifestyle there is very metro, unlike Rio where I am. Rio is more SoCal.....as far as crime, be careful in SP when out at night. Dont share drinks with any pretty girls. Rio, same thing...and be very aware on the beaches. And dont make a habit of walking around with your phone in your hand. Someone will snatch it in broad daylight. But overall, you should have a good time. 3 different cities with different vibes.
Thanks for the heads up. As a former New Yorker i am a careful traveler.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:44 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,495,572 times
Belo Horizonte is a nice city, but nothing special. It’s definitely not a destination.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I found that whole area to be pretty ininteresting stops in a huge country that keeps on going forever. You see nothing on the all-day bus between cities, which look like Akron. But the old centers of some small cities are compact and pleasantly oldish. The equivalent of a US small town seems to be absent from Brazil.
That's an interesting observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas