Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 07:35 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times

Advertisements

Obviously, if it mentions “the founders of Latin America,” then the first requisite is for the concept of Latin America to exist. It was the French, I think under Napoleon’s rule, that created the term Latin America in order to present as similar French, Spanish, and Portuguese territories in America. That was done in the 1700’s.

On the other hand, can anyone explain why Royal Palace in Madrid, Spain is the only one outside of the Americas with staties of Monctezuma II (Mexico) and Atahualpa (Peru)? One could say they were added in our time, but in reality they were incorporated on the facade(along with other kings of Spain) at the time of construction when much (if not all) of Spanish America was a part of Spain? How come this is not seen in other palaces of the European royalty, say Buckingham Palace in London? Native Americans honored in Europe, well in Spain since that was the only country that did that.

See images of the Native Americans in European statues from centuries ago: https://skullsinthestars.com/2012/04...rks-in-madrid/

What is the Black Legend? I hear it was very popular among the English, in fact promoted in their American colonies. In part is responsible for the anti-Hispanic tendency seen in countries that evolved from the British Empire such as the USA, according to the following articles. As expected, they speak English. Ironically, the same language we use in this forum. Hmm…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...e39_story.html

Regarding Mexico, I thought the founder was a Catholic priest? I’m not an expert in Mexican history, but I do know that modern Mexico and most modern Mexicans would had never existed if it wasn’t for the arrival of Cortez. It isn’t as if anyone here is referring to the Spanish Conquistador Juan Garrido, despite he had an active role in the conquest of Mexico. Did I forgot to say he was from Guinea in Western Africa? Apparently, only in Spain (maybe Portugal too, certainly not England or France or the other colonial powers in the Americas).

https://aaregistry.org/story/juan-ga...explorer-born/

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-12-2022 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 06:03 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
https://www.knowledgesnacks.com/arti...bolivar-facts/

Simon Bolivar’s father was Juan Vicente de Bolivar, the mayor of his city. Juan Vicente was also a colonel in the Battalion of White Volunteers of the Aragua Valley.
But Simon did not remember him since the colonel died when Simon was only two.
And Simon’s mother, Maria Concepcion, died when Simon was nine.

Hipolita was an enslaved African woman. She worked for the Bolivars. Hipolita was Simon’s wet nurse and took care of him throughout his childhood -even more so after his mother died.
When the general was an adult, he called her “my mother and father” and “the only mother I have ever known.”
Simon was emotionally close to two other enslaved people of his household. One was Matea, the other, Dionisio, Hipolita’s son. Both were about his age, and the trio grew up playing together. They were friends for the rest of their lives.
Dionisio became a sergeant in Simon’s army. And Hipolita and Matea chose to keep living with the Bolivars after Simon freed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas