Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:55 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times

Advertisements

/can't we all just get along lol.

[LEFT]Fernando Bustos Gorozpe was sitting with friends in a cafe here when he realized that — once again — they were outnumbered.

“We’re the only brown people,” said Bustos, a 38-year-old writer and university professor. “We’re the only people speaking Spanish except the waiters.”

Mexico has long been the top foreign travel destination for Americans, its bountiful beaches and picturesque pueblos luring tens of millions of U.S. visitors annually. But in recent years, a growing number of tourists and remote workers — hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Silicon Valley and points in between — have flooded the nation’s capital and left a scent of new-wave imperialism.

The influx, which has accelerated since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely to continue as inflation rises, is transforming some of the city’s most treasured neighborhoods into expat enclaves.

[/LEFT]
In leafy, walkable quarters such as Roma, Condesa, Centro and Juarez, rents are soaring as Americans and other foreigners snap up houses and landlords trade long-term renters for travelers willing to pay more on Airbnb. Taquerias, corner stores and fondas — small, family-run lunch spots — are being replaced by Pilates studios, co-working spaces and sleek cafes advertising oat-milk lattes and avocado toast.

And English — well, it’s everywhere: ringing out at supermarkets, natural wine bars and fitness classes in the park.

At Lardo, a Mediterranean restaurant where, on any given night, three-quarters of the tables are filled with foreigners, a Mexican man in a well-cut suit recently took a seat at the bar, gazed at the English-language menu before him and sighed as he handed it back: “A menu in Spanish, please.”

Some chilangos, as locals are known, are fed up.

Recently, expletive-laced posters appeared around town.

“New to the city? Working remotely?” they read in English. “You’re a f—ing plague and the locals f—ing hate you. Leave.”
12ft | Americans are flooding Mexico City. Some want them gone - Los Angeles Times[LEFT][/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Why they coming to Mexico City?

Old 07-28-2022, 01:49 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,935,470 times
They like the vibe plus prices?

Whenever locals feel outnumbered there is going to be a similar reaction, regardless where it is.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:22 PM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
/can't we all just get along lol.

[LEFT]Fernando Bustos Gorozpe was sitting with friends in a cafe here when he realized that — once again — they were outnumbered.

“We’re the only brown people,” said Bustos, a 38-year-old writer and university professor. “We’re the only people speaking Spanish except the waiters.”

Mexico has long been the top foreign travel destination for Americans, its bountiful beaches and picturesque pueblos luring tens of millions of U.S. visitors annually. But in recent years, a growing number of tourists and remote workers — hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Silicon Valley and points in between — have flooded the nation’s capital and left a scent of new-wave imperialism.

The influx, which has accelerated since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely to continue as inflation rises, is transforming some of the city’s most treasured neighborhoods into expat enclaves.

[/LEFT][indent]In leafy, walkable quarters such as Roma, Condesa, Centro and Juarez, rents are soaring as Americans and other foreigners snap up houses and landlords trade long-term renters for travelers willing to pay more on Airbnb. Taquerias, corner stores and fondas — small, family-run lunch spots — are being replaced by Pilates studios, co-working spaces and sleek cafes advertising oat-milk lattes and avocado toast.
I don’t think the regular inhabitants of those neighborhoods are all that brown.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:28 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Whenever locals feel outnumbered there is going to be a similar reaction, regardless where it is.
That's almost a law of nature... Since thousands of years ago...

Old 07-29-2022, 01:56 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I don’t think the regular inhabitants of those neighborhoods are all that brown.
I've never been there, how about you?

Old 07-29-2022, 11:01 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Condesa really is overrun by foreigners these days. Roma Norte is heading that way. Thank YouTubers for it, its almost comical how all of them say "I was shocked by Mexico City" and its a video of the same exact places, neither of which is that big or that important to the city as a whole. There are perfectly nice areas just south of these where everything costs half as much and you will hear almost no English when you walk the streets.

This whole backlash is never going to amount to much because the city is just so huge. Its an easy thing for an activist or a politician to say there are too many rich expats there, but most Mexicans couldn't afford to live in these places in almost any condition. This line of thinking is like people in the LA area complaining there are way too many Asians living in Beverly Hills. Like it ever really matters for the 99% who could never afford to live there anyways.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:11 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Condesa really is overrun by foreigners these days. Roma Norte is heading that way. Thank YouTubers for it, its almost comical how all of them say "I was shocked by Mexico City" and its a video of the same exact places, neither of which is that big or that important to the city as a whole. There are perfectly nice areas just south of these where everything costs half as much and you will hear almost no English when you walk the streets.

This whole backlash is never going to amount to much because the city is just so huge. Its an easy thing for an activist or a politician to say there are too many rich expats there, but most Mexicans couldn't afford to live in these places in almost any condition. This line of thinking is like people in the LA area complaining there are way too many Asians living in Beverly Hills. Like it ever really matters for the 99% who could never afford to live there anyways.
You read that City-Data members and luckers?

Now go and flood those areas too so prices can rise and match Condesa et al.

One of the most importants part of a secret (even if it's widely known by locals) is to keep it as a secret. Everyone doesn't need to know where a good life can be had for less or where locals go on vacation. There is a reason you don't know. Hint, hint: You are not a local.

I repeat, all areas with an abundance of middle class Mexicans don't need to be "discovered" by foreigners. The places they live, vacation, etc is for them. "Discovery" means Youtuber types will go there letting the world know of these places and then the foreign avalanche will happen with the increase in prices following close behind. Then middle class Mexicans are priced out and they will have to search for other places in their own country.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-29-2022 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-30-2022, 09:20 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You read that City-Data members and luckers?

Now go and flood those areas too so prices can rise and match Condesa et al.

One of the most importants part of a secret (even if it's widely known by locals) is to keep it as a secret. Everyone doesn't need to know where a good life can be had for less or where locals go on vacation. There is a reason you don't know. Hint, hint: You are not a local.

I repeat, all areas with an abundance of middle class Mexicans don't need to be "discovered" by foreigners. The places they live, vacation, etc is for them. "Discovery" means Youtuber types will go there letting the world know of these places and then the foreign avalanche will happen with the increase in prices following close behind. Then middle class Mexicans are priced out and they will have to search for other places in their own country.
Hah! There are approximately 24 people on here that actually have been in Mexico City, my scientific conclusion. The rest just want to tell you how dangerous Mexico is because, you know, Fox News tells them its nothing but crime and people wanting to sneak into the US. Too many first time visitors seem genuinely shocked they haven't been robbed at gunpoint on their first day and the rest can't believe they haven't gotten food poisoning yet.

And trust me those areas to the south aren't cheap and have already been "discovered" but by Mexicans. They aren't hip enough to be expat enclaves and not cheap enough for the "artists" who will create the next YouTube sensation. I think I know where that next hotspot will be and went and walked around it last time I was there but to your point, I'll keep it to myself.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:50 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,224,593 times
Good. I encourage people to walk all over Mexico and do whatever they want. Nobody should have to obey Mexican immigration laws - they refuse to obey ours. They even claim that it's "discrimination" to enforce immigration laws in the United States.

Americans should be able to live wherever they want in Mexico for however long they want, and do whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas