Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 07:25 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times

Advertisements

We all know about Carnaval in Rio but what other cities in the Americas make your top 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 11:01 AM

5,767 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Here's 7 other Carnival (or Carnaval? I've seen it spelled both ways) events in the Americas aside from Rio, not in any particular order. Of course, New Orleans and Mobile could be added too. Of the ones below, I have only been to Carnival in Barranquilla, which was about 30 years ago.

Barranquilla, Colombia
Salvador / Bahia, Brazil
Recife & Olinda, Brazil
Trinidad & Tobago
Aruba
Mazatlan, Mexico
Oruru, Bolivia

Old 09-17-2022, 02:22 PM

10,117 posts, read 14,991,435 times
The best one in the DR is La Vega’s carnival in addition as assumed to be the oldest carnival in the Americas. It isn’t promoted much as a tourist attraction.

Punta Cana now has its own carnival composed by bits of every carnival in the DR. I think this makes it the most fake carnival in the DR, but that’s the most accessible to tourists given where it takes place.

Santo Domingo’s carnival and Santiago’s carnival along with La Vega’s attract the most spectators and receives attention from Dominican TV channels. There are many more carnivals in the DR, but except in their immediate area and countryside they tend to be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here's 7 other Carnival (or Carnaval? I've seen it spelled both ways)…
Carnaval = Spanish
Carnival = English

I don’t know what is the Portuguese word, but my guess is that it’s the same as in Spanish. Maybe one of the Brazilians that frequent the forum can confirm this.

Old 09-18-2022, 01:21 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
I’m not Brazilian, but it is also Carnaval (in Portuguese).

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnaval_do_Brasil

https://www.calendarr.com/brasil/carnaval/amp/

(like Brasil in Portuguese—not Brazil).

Old 09-20-2022, 08:15 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,021 times
The 4 major carnivals in the world are New Orleans, Rio, Barranquilla and Trinidad.

One of my best friends set out to do all four before he kicked the bucket, and he finally completed the feat last year. Per his experiences, Barranquilla is overrated, Trinidad is incredibly slept on, and New Orleans and Rio delivered what was promised. Your mileage may vary.

I was born and raised in New Orleans, so I am clearly biased.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:55 AM

Is New Orleans's and Barranquilla's carnivals truly famous (New Orleans's outside of the USA and Canada, Barranquilla's outside Colombia)?

There is no question Rio's carnival is worldly known.

A question mark do arises again when it comes to how well known is the Trinidadian carnival outside of Trinidad & Tobago?

Old 09-21-2022, 05:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,021 times
I can only speak for New Orleans when I say that I feel like Mardi Gras is VERY well known. Barranquilla and Trinidad maybe not so much...but in terms of sheer numbers of attendees, they all are hard-hitters. Rio clearly wins in terms of publicity, no doubt there.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,955 times
Trinidad's carnival is very well known outside of Trinidad. Salvador is said to be the best carnival in Brazil even though Rio is obviously more well known.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:38 PM

321 posts, read 334,475 times
Barranquilla's carnival is one of the largest in the world. I believe it's the second largest carnival in South America, only behind that of Rio's. Both declared masterpieces of Humanity's Intangible and Oral Heritage by UNESCO.

There's usually less nudity, too, imo.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Barranquilla's carnival is one of the largest in the world. I believe it's the second largest carnival in South America, only behind that of Rio's. Both declared masterpieces of Humanity's Intangible and Oral Heritage by UNESCO.

There's usually less nudity, too, imo.

Quite frankly, Rio's carnival is the one with the most women with very little clothes and becoming the most famous carnival in the world I think is not coincidental. That's one of the first images that pops up when one think Rio's carnival.

It's similar to thinking of New Orlean's Mardi Gras and women wearing lots of beads and flashing their boobs comes to mind. Of course, women in Mardi Gras have more clothes than many in Rio's carnival and as nice the boobs of many women are, having them with very little clothes and jiggling everything that jiggles hands down wins. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-08-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas