Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 07:28 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would check out the YouTube channel of Amelia and JP who have permanent residency in Ecuador (although they are currently traveling outside of the country).
They're propagandists for living in Ecuador. Back when they started, it was very safe. The situation began to deteriorate with dollarization in 2000. Crime began to rise, drug dealing became a way to survive economically. Scads of working-aged men fled the country for the US and Spain looking for work, as the economy became so unstable, that the government could no longer pay teachers and other public servants. Correa came to the rescue in 2007, and eventually those expats returned home and got their jobs back. His programs and policies created stability, and public works expanded the job base to the extent, that he said workers from Spain were coming to Ecuador in search of work.

Amelia and JP are real estate brokers who prospered by developing housing for American retirees in a little mountain town near Otavalo, pushing that as an affordable haven for retirees forced out of Panama and Costa Rica by rising RE values. This increased the cost of RE for the locals, however, which created a lot of resentment. Now their bubble has burst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 10:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I believe CD member Sand&Salt lives in Ecuador as a retiree.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:15 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Just like most countries in LatAm, there are of course areas that are safer and areas that are more dangerous. I highly doubt that North American retirees in Cuenca are in any real danger. Quito always had an edge to it, but high-end areas are probably spared for the most part still. Guayaquil always had lots of troubled neighborhoods, and Esmeraldas never had a great reputation. It's clearly much worse now, but once again it's concentrated in certain areas.

I could easily be proven wrong, but the current events wouldn't keep me from going to the country.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:50 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
Rafael Correa was a far worse president than what Ruth4Truth describes. Fairly corrupt government, left Ecuador severely indebted with China and other countries/entities and the Ecuadorian economy basically has been stagnating for several years (pretty much until now) because of his policies.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:29 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Correa also severely repressed the media when he was president.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:28 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
This is an example why I would never expatriate to any country in the Western Hemisphere south of the US. What may appear stable, can become unstable in any of these countries in Central or South America.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:29 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
This is an example why I would never expatriate to any country in the Western Hemisphere south of the US. What may appear stable, can become unstable in any of these countries in Central or South America.
That’s no reason to not go. Plenty of people went to Costa Rica, Panama, etc and those places are as stable as they were when they first went there.

Most people that move from North America to Latin America are either from there, descendants of people from there or American retirees. Most Americans once they reached retirement are looking for life continuing perhaps for another 20 or 30 years. Most countries in Latin America have been stable for that long and even longer.

Within North America, which has also been stable for a long time, has had moments when things were not stable. Look at the USA. It once had a Civil War, to name one instability. At any given time, considering for how long stability has reigned in the USA, the place could become unstable again. It happen before, no guarantees it can’t happen again.

The point is that not moving to a place that is stable because it may not be in the future is quite dumb since nowhere is excempt from becoming unstable, not even the USA. Plus, most people that move to Latin America continue to live there with no major problems.

Just because a handful of Latin American countries are going through instability doesn’t mean most are or will be in the near future.

Old 03-24-2024, 02:56 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're propagandists for living in Ecuador. Back when they started, it was very safe. The situation began to deteriorate with dollarization in 2000. Crime began to rise, drug dealing became a way to survive economically. Scads of working-aged men fled the country for the US and Spain looking for work, as the economy became so unstable, that the government could no longer pay teachers and other public servants. Correa came to the rescue in 2007, and eventually those expats returned home and got their jobs back. His programs and policies created stability, and public works expanded the job base to the extent, that he said workers from Spain were coming to Ecuador in search of work.
Actually since the COVID19 crisis things have gotten much worst in Ecuador. I visited Guayaquil in 2016 and things were relatively quiet and safe (in comparison to when I spent a year there in 1996/7).

Old 03-24-2024, 07:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Rafael Correa was a far worse president than what Ruth4Truth describes. Fairly corrupt government, left Ecuador severely indebted with China and other countries/entities and the Ecuadorian economy basically has been stagnating for several years (pretty much until now) because of his policies.
How can you blame Correa for the mess his successors created?

I wasn't aware of the debt to China, though. Thx for that info.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:50 PM

505 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Just like most countries in LatAm, there are of course areas that are safer and areas that are more dangerous. I highly doubt that North American retirees in Cuenca are in any real danger. Quito always had an edge to it, but high-end areas are probably spared for the most part still. Guayaquil always had lots of troubled neighborhoods, and Esmeraldas never had a great reputation. It's clearly much worse now, but once again it's concentrated in certain areas.

I could easily be proven wrong, but the current events wouldn't keep me from going to the country.
My daughter just returned from a couple of weeks very affordable holiday in Cuenca and Vilcabamba. She had and saw no problems at all. Her first visit to Ecuador and really enjoyed it. Apparently lots of Americans retired there. And lots of Europeans too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas